Ultimate Subaru Message Board

xt6 ground clearance options?

With winter looming (it always is here), I'm thinking about options to create a bit more ground clearance with the xt6. I don't want to be plowing snow with the underside of it and would hope to have at least 6' of clearance, preferably more. It currently has had the air ride removed and conventional struts installed. What other options exist? Are there other struts that will gain some clearance between the body and tires to allow me to put larger tires on?

Six feet of clearance; you must get some real snow in Chugiak!:lol: Sorry, it's the OCD in my nature! I would imagine that XSNRG or qman would have some thoughts on that. If I remember correctly, Ken's rallycross XT6 is higher than stock.

I don't want to be plowing snow with the underside of it and would hope to have at least 6' of clearance, preferably more.

Six feet of clearance; you must get some real snow in Chugiak!:lol: Sorry, it's the OCD in my nature! I would imagine that XSNRG or qman would have some thoughts on that. If I remember correctly, Ken's rallycross XT6 is higher than stock.

Ken's is radically higher. I'm not looking for that much gain, just enough to make it up my drive in the winter when I get home and haven't had the chance to plow yet. (sorry about the oversight on the typo).

No need to apologize...I was just pulling your chain. A modified version of what Ken has should work for you if that's possible.

Ken's is radically higher. I'm not looking for that much gain, just enough to make it up my drive in the winter when I get home and haven't had the chance to plow yet. (sorry about the oversight on the typo).

• 2 months later...

i would so like to give my XT6 a few extra inches as well. the air ride definitely rides higher than every conversion i've done, but you should already have that if it's an AWD XT6 and you didn't convert it to coil overs.

Yaa, too bad the XT / XT6 never had that option :(

dang, how did i miss this thread, must have been traveling or something.

tapper - the XT did have that option, some XT Turbo's anyway.

the US XT6 never did. i just installed a canadian height switch in my XT6. after testing it (didn't work) and looking into it, it will require a tiny bit of electrical fiddling to make it work. i forget exactly what i need to do, but it's not that radical, need to run an extra wire or something. i can post more later if anyone is interested. you don't even need that button at all, if you just want to install a momentary switch yourself. it's a momentary type switch, not a toggle switch.

i posted to shady's thread in the for sale section, who was offering the Allied Armament lift kit for EA82's (and others) and he seems to think it would work on the XT6. at some point i'd like to look into making my own lift kit of a couple inches, retaining the stock air suspension. don't know when i'll have time, won't be anytime soon.

what is qman's setup?

'92 legacy GR-2's with legacy wagon springs on front

XT6 GR-2's with stock xt springs on rear

that's what his thread on xt6.net says... not sure if the "stock xt springs on rear" is the stock xt6 springs, or actual XT springs

The front suspension and brakes are from a Legacy. The struts/shocks are indeed KYB GR-2's. The front springs are Legacy as well. I can't be certain if the rear springs are XT/6 or wagon. I tried the Honda front spring mod and couldn't compress them so I took them off. Not to mention that it was another 4 or 5" taller than now.

Ken's is radically higher. I'm not looking for that much gain.

Why not? It would be great for winter. Just get another set of struts that will fit bigger tires, (some of those Coopers?) and run them for winter. Swap them out come spring. A couple hours tops would be worth it for your AK winters.

Ken's XT6 handles better than you might think.

Why not? It would be great for winter. Just get another set of struts that will fit bigger tires, (some of those Coopers?) and run them for winter. Swap them out come spring. A couple hours tops would be worth it for your AK winters.

Ken's XT6 handles better than you might think.

that's what I'm saying too

Yo...Just a stock set of GL wagon struts and springs in the back that will raise it about 3" (spring rate on the XT-6 and GL wagon are the same in the rear). I had to do a lot of mods on the rear struts to get it at that ride height. Not sure about the front but it sounds like a setup like Qmans would work.

No need for explanation, I totally understand what you want/need to do. I have a set of stock 2wd XT-6 rear units that will raise you up about 3 inches, let me know if you want them. Stock wagon setup will accomplsh about the same thing, may jack it up more though. I'll try to get a comparison on length, I know the springs are the same rate.

Don't get me wrong, Mark. I like the way it rides right now. I'm just looking for some snow clearance for winter.