Ultimate Subaru Message Board

anyone know if new 1st gear set can be made?

Ratty2Austin

I had this thought, and I suppose many of you have as well...

the trouble with the EJ offroad ideas come down to not having a dual range, (or the center diff)

I can change my wheeling habits to adapt to having 3 open diffs (or less if I LSD/weld/ DCCD)

Q---> is there a way to install, either from another vehicle, or made from a machine shop, a new first gear pair? afterall, if I change the 2 gears to match, then I wouldnt have to change anything else in the tranny would I?

I rememer the ~85 toyota tercel 4wd "toasterwagons" had a 1st gear that was lower than 1st high making a low range in one gear only... thus it was a 4spd with a reallly low 1st gear (making it a 5spd) or something like that

anyone torn into this idea before?

wouldn't this mess w/ the tranny computer? or is there a tranny computer... hell i don't know anything about transmissions... sounds like a good idea to me! :drunk:

Auto trannies have a transmission control unit and do not have 'gears' per say.

What Austin wants is a 'granny gear' for a 1st gear in his manual tranny.

I came to Subarus after my 1983 Tercel 4wd got stolen and trashed. That was the last year they made the manual shift with the extra-low-first "granny gear" and it was absolutely wonderful.

Kids who stole it ran the oil dry, ruined it, it was too rusty to replace the engine, and *sigh* I don't have a yard to put dead cars in, or I'd have saved the carcass and built another one. They did rust out easy, thin metal.

I'd jump at another '83 Tercel 4wd wagon if I find one with low miles and no rust -- but I looked for a year, then decided to buy a 1988 GL as the next best bet and try fixing that up. Still fixing ...

If anyone knows for sure any other vehicle model and year that has that "Granny gear" setup -- please, let me know!

If first gear could be swapped out for a lower gear that would be great.

A granny gear would be handy but then you'd have a huge jump to a way high second gear?

With big tires that jump would be a problem.

A set of gears say 1 & 2 may be more useful if it could be done...

I'd be willing to have a big hole in the side of my tranny to allow lower gears.

...cover the hole with part of a road sign and some duct tape...

Transmission gears, even straight-cut ones, are pretty high-tech; helical gears are even more so. If you are willing to put up with whine and inefficient power transfer, a very well equipped machine shop might be able to make a straight-cut gear pair. It is unlikely to be cheap. That is, assuming that the shaft spacing would allow it.

Just spent 1.5 hours searcing the web. Here's all I could find for gear upgrades Austin. I'm not even sure if any will work in your gear box; not a new gen guy. I just did lots and lots and lots of searching/reading for Impreza gear upgrades.

http://www.imprezars.com/chalak.htm

http://gruppe-s.com/Subaru/subtrn/STIRAV6-special.htm

http://www.gimmiegears.com/gears.html

Just spent 1.5 hours searcing the web. Here's all I could find for gear upgrades Austin. I'm not even sure if any will work in your gear box; not a new gen guy. I just did lots and lots and lots of searching/reading for Impreza gear upgrades.

http://www.imprezars.com/chalak.htm

http://gruppe-s.com/Subaru/subtrn/STIRAV6-special.htm

http://www.gimmiegears.com/gears.html

Available for the Impreza 2.5RS version 1 and 2 tranny and WRX tranny (just specify which year and model you have) for $4,200 Australian Dollars. At current conversion rates 0.7739, cost is only $3,250 + $149.95 S&H to your door from Australia (plus any applicable duties and taxes through US customs). This is $500 less than the nearest competetor!

Figure USD are about half what the Australian ones are.

Even dividing the prices in half that's kinda pricey....

Available for the Impreza 2.5RS version 1 and 2 tranny and WRX tranny (just specify which year and model you have) for $4,200 Australian Dollars. At current conversion rates 0.7739, cost is only $3,250 + $149.95 S&H to your door from Australia (plus any applicable duties and taxes through US customs). This is $500 less than the nearest competetor!

Figure USD are about half what the Australian ones are.

Even dividing the prices in half that's kinda pricey....

That's what all this custom stuff boils down to in every application all through this whole board.... is anyone gonna pay the money it takes to get the stuff they talk about. If you cant do it yourself then you have to pay the piper. It's not like there is zero support for Subarus out there; its that nobody want's to pay the price that custom work is worth.

is anyone gonna pay the money it takes to get the stuff they talk about. QUOTE]

once all the "stuff" is avalible and someone builds a Killer Rig thats lighter then the average wheeler and will go past all the heavier machine people will buy the "stuff" , I estimate give it 10 years , right now the market is swamped with these cars , its something you can get into relitivly cheep, alot happens with time , look at Toyota pickups and the after market stuff now avalible , 20 years ago it wasnt that way, as truck prices continue to rise , and all the Straight axle rigs are used up , economics and supply and demand will take effect

Scott

What got Toyota aftermarket support where it is now?

Money; the spending of lots of it by consumers. That's not happening with old Subarus. The technology to develop what people say they want is out there. The problem is nobody is owning up with the money to have it developed.

once all the "stuff" is avalible

It's getting to that point that's the problem. Progress comes at a price. I'm not convinced Subaru offroaders are ready to pay that price.

Progress comes at a price. I'm not convinced Subaru offroaders are ready to pay that price.

I made a subaru offroader so I wouldn't have to pay a big price for parts or a lift kit. Someday when the subaru offroad community gets really big we'll be able to get almost anything. But that wont happen for a long time.:(

When I posted earlier in this thread, I considered adding a point made by someone else, and basically restated by MorganM here: The most "active" segment of Subaru owners is the offroaders, and it is difficult to get them to pony up the bucks for something as simple/inexpensive as a lift kit. If the lift kit market is thus limited, what are the chances for anything more technical and expensive?

The realist's answer is: A Snowball's chance in Haydes.

I'm going to get lower gearing one way or the other, I have money and have no issues dropping $$$$ to get what I want. I used to wheel an f350 powerstroke, cost is relative. If I blow a thou. buck on a trannie for my roo then I've only spent what it cost to put SS tires on my truck. If I factor in all the times I've had to pay some ponce $90 dollars an hr to work on the diesel then spending big money on one or two items for my roo isn't bad at all. These cars are so easy to work on they "pay" for these sort of things in the long run.

Pay to Play, the harder you play the more you'll pay.

I came to Subarus after my 1983 Tercel 4wd got stolen and trashed. That was the last year they made the manual shift with the extra-low-first "granny gear" and it was absolutely wonderful.

If anyone knows for sure any other vehicle model and year that has that "Granny gear" setup -- please, let me know!

i had an 1986 tercel wagon with the EL gear... and it was awesome!!

(EL in 4wd only...otherwise a 5 speed)

you could move to australia.we got low/dual range downunder.a couple of guys are working on more reduction for these boxes here.

Are these the old D/R's or the new D/R's they are working on?

Keep us posted on what they're up to. :brow:

you could move to australia.we got low/dual range downunder.a couple of guys are working on more reduction for these boxes here.

I assume you are refering to the Subaru Impreza RV?

http://subaru.com.au/explore/impreza/specifications.asp?body=Hatch&grade=RV

Looking at this specifications chart below it would appear Austin already has a 'lower' 1st gear than in the dual range RV tranny.

http://www.ravensblade-impreza.com/techdocs/trannychart/trannychart.pdf

So swap'n in just the RV tranny's first gear wouldnt work for Austin(even if it did swap in) Unfortunatly on Subaru's site there I don't see the Low Range gear reduction listed. If it's the same as the Forester's Dual Range then we already hashed that out, in another thread, as not being worth the money to import an entire transmission.

Another option not yet discussed here is adapting an old 5MT Dual Range to your EJ engine. They can be had fairly cheaply at local junkyards around here. ;) You would also need a rear diff right; since your's is 4.111:1.