Ultimate Subaru Message Board

loyale fuel filter change procedure???

hey all,

so i got some bits to freshen up our newly purchased loyale, mostly ignition junk -- cap, rotor, plugs, wires, oil & filter. thought i'd replace the fuel filter as well, but when i looked in the owner's manual it said take it to the dealer blah blah, something about not smoking while scratching you bum. i dunno.

anyway, so i don't have a haynes, i have a disposition against chilton manuals, and i've yet to find a suub manual on ebay....soooooo...can someone give me a quick step by step for this job that won't lead to me spraying my face with gasoline? :grin:

tia

andrew

the filter is on the passengers side near the tank, under the car. Car off - clip it out, note direction of filter, undo lines, insert new filter lines noting the arrow direction, reclip... test drive. Your done.

EA81's will have another filter in the engine bay.

• Thanks 1

the filter is on the passengers side near the tank, under the car. Car off - clip it out, note direction of filter, undo lines, insert new filter lines noting the arrow direction, reclip... test drive. Your done.

actually, in EA82 cars the only filter should be in the engine bay on the driver side strut tower, I think.

I usually put a rag all around the hose as I pull it off. The other alternative is to find the fuel pump under the passenger side rear, right in front of the tire. Unplug the pump there then start the car. It will only run for a little bit, but that will relieve the pressure in the system.

actually, in EA82 cars the only filter should be in the engine bay on the driver side strut tower, I think.

I usually put a rag all around the hose as I pull it off. The other alternative is to find the fuel pump under the passenger side rear, right in front of the tire. Unplug the pump there then start the car. It will only run for a little bit, but that will relieve the pressure in the system.

cool thanks that what i figured. i just wanted to be sure when the owners manual said "under pressure" it didn't mean a lot of pressure.

thanks all

droo

cool thanks that what i figured. i just wanted to be sure when the owners manual said "under pressure" it didn't mean a lot of pressure.

thanks all

droo

you really should releive the pressure first. you'll still spray gas everywhere but not even half as bad.. its very easy to relieve the pressure. there's two very similiar ways:

1. disconnect the plug from the fuel pump (under the car on the right side just in front of the tank) then start the car and run it untill it stalls. then crank it for five seconds or so. thats it!

2. the other way is if you know what fuse is for the fuel pump (i don't remember off-hand) but pull the fuse and do the same thing as i already wrote.

Regarding location of fuel filters...

On a loyale (SPFI and MPFI (including turbo) models) the fuel filter is right by the firewall on the drivers side.

Personally when I disconnect the fuel lines I do it up at where they meet up with the throttle body/intake. Then once they are not full of fuel I pop em off the filter. For some reason I ALWAYS have trouble changing these underhood filters without cutting the line for some reason. (as in the nipple on the filter gets stuck in the hose, so I just cut off the last 1/4 inch)

On carbed models the filter is down under the car above a plate hidden in front of the RR wheel. Those are cake to change... never had a problem EVER. Even in 32 degree weather.

is it best to go with an oem fuel filter, or are aftermarket filters just as good?

Don't get one from autozone. i had three of them leak right at the seam as soon as they were installed. they let me exchange them and i ended up putting an aftermarket one on anyway( also from autozone because they were letting me exchange them since they kept being defective). anyway i put one on that didn't really fit "properly" and that one was fine--same size inlet and outlet as it should be but different shape,so it didn't fit into that clip there.

anyway stay away from the autozone ones. even if you eventually get one that works, it won't cost any extra but it still sucks changing those things 4 times in one week!

May I add...

the filter is on the passengers side near the tank, under the car. Car off - clip it out, note direction of filter, undo lines, insert new filter lines noting the arrow direction, reclip...

---- Start engine and check for leaks.----

test drive. Your done.

First, I think its not a bad idea to remove your negative battery cable prior to removing the old filter (kill spark sources). Second, an alternative to "relieve pressure" is to simply perform the procedure in the morning after the car has sat all night. At that point, the pressure is nearly zero and you'll only lose a few drops as you finally work those hose ends off the old filter. To make it a little easier next time, put a little grease on the new filter nipples prior to reattaching the lines.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not an expert but I know that not all EA82's have them under the hood. I found mine as described under the tank by the RR Wheel. So ther may be a discrepancy there. But I highly recommend paying the price for an OEM Filter. They should outlaw the FRAM ones sold at Walmart. IMO they are Junk for Subaru's Thanks