Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81t is nearing completion.......

Finally, the block and heads are in at the engine shop, getting a hone, surface grind etc. Then i just have to wait for my "special" NZ$60 :eek: head nut socket to arrive from Japan!

List of things been done:

New Bearings

New Chrome rings

re faced valves/seats

re face heads

Un clogged turbo water supply (now that might help...)

valve guides/seals

freshly painted rocker covers and turbo to throttle body pipe (the most important bit)

and a whole lot of other new bits and pieces.

Unfortunatly, i havn't got the money for new N/A pistons or for any balancing. Should go well when its done though, it also has an almost brand new turbo on it (thanks to previous owner), hopefully its still ok after running with no coolant for a couple of months.

geese man, you are really going all out. yeah, it took one hundred dollars (US) to win my head socket and valve tool on Ebay.

that things gonna be sweet when you're done. you just going for all stock components or are there any mods happening down the road??

PICTURES!?! c'mon you can't just tease us like this...

Forgot to mention, reground cam as well.

Ill take some pics once i start putting it together.

Its all stock, for now anyway. It should be plenty peppy enough for what i want. I'll prabably chuck a water/air IC on it at some stage and up the boost a bit, but nothing extreme.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ross,

Did the parts you brought from me come in handy?

Hayden

Yeah, although not as much as I had planned...... I had measured my crankshaft with a hired out micrometer, and found it was below the spec for .25 undersize - thats the main reason i wanted your engine.

When I borrowed a mic from a mates workshop, i found that mine was within spec for the .25 undersize after all!!!

I'm still using the crank from your engine, as the journals look smoother, also i'm using your intake manifold (cleaner!), injectors (no broken caps!) and valve springs. Plus now i've got heaps of spares for it.

Looks great Ross, l too am going the ea-81t route with my brumby and am close to fire up stage having done most of the hard work, thankfully my motor didn't need rebuilding but it's still a mission converting a standard car from n/a to turbo, not to mention expensive, esp. in Australia, so good luck with your project, the pictures look very impressive.

:banana::banana::banana:

• 3 weeks later...

Grr, another set back. Just been checking ring to groove clearences (which are fine), and noticed some scratches in the lower faces of the grooves!!

Cant believe the engine shop, that apparently machined the grooves, didn't notice!

Looks like i may need new pistons after all, oh well, maybe ill get some N/A ones!

• 1 month later...

Update:

Engines been on the back-burner, had exams at uni. Starting to get back into it, and decided that now that i have money (job over uni holidays) i may as well get my crankshaft reground (apparently you can go below -0.25mm, contrary to what the fsm says) and get some new lifters. At least that way i know everything is sweet as.

So, that puts the spending up to around, hmm....NZ$800-$1000. thats US$600-750 or so. Not bad.

Man I really love the pics of your motor.How much boost you planning on cranking into it after its broken in?Looks like it will run like a top.I am currently getting parts for my ea81 motor I a piecing together.Gives me some inspiration.I am also curious to see what type of special socket you are refering to.

whats the special socket look like and what size is it?

Its just the one for doing up the head nuts under the rocker shaft. Its a 17mm 1/2" drive.

As for how much boost i'm going to run, well i'm not sure. Probably 10psi or thereabouts, i'm not looking to turn it into a racing car! Just some extra power for the mountains will be good.

post-8111-136027604349_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
Finally, the block and heads are in at the engine shop, getting a hone, surface grind etc. Then i just have to wait for my "special" NZ$60 :eek: head nut socket to arrive from Japan!

I was able to shorten a 6 point 17 mm socket by grinding it until it would fit under the rocker arm shaft. It was a tedious process but it worked.

I was able to shorten a 6 point 17 mm socket by grinding it until it would fit under the rocker arm shaft. It was a tedious process but it worked.

that sounds like something I would do :D:headbang:

Ross - that engine look beautiful - given the level of care you are taking in your rebuild, I am sure it will perform at least as well as it looks when you are done

good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Its Alive!!.............Barely..... Runs rough, wont idle by itself and plugs are black after 5 or 10 mins of running. Didn't have my timing light with me, i suspect maybe the disty is off a tooth - gonna go re torque the heads now then see what i can find...