Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CRX seats drop right into ea81 hatch

yeah, swap rails, 99.9% perfect match.

only snag was the latch to slide forward and back. its pretty tight against the

seat. i just bent it out a bit, sloppy but i have no shop or proper tools any longer.

got a nice black with dark grey stripes inset for 15.00.

dont tell anyone that its actually a passenger side seat.

my 20 year old stock seat was really falling apart so i had to do something.

first noticed the sheet metal rear outer support had gone :P and put some stress cracks in the floor... chopped the two remaining spot welds, and glas'd the cracks inside and out.

made a new bracket and elevated the whole mess an inch.

on your hatch, the seat belt is bolted to the door sill behind the seat

(on the door side)

and a few inches ahead of the seat belt bolt, is another same-thread hole.

i used a piece of heavy angle iron, put two close fitting holes in it,

ground the angle a bit to allow the triangular plate the seat belt is sewn into to pivot. s

crewed the two bolts in. its 15" long.

THEN (deep breath)

i used the rear inner seat mount body hole and ran a piece of heavy 1x1" square tube to the angle iron. its 21" long. bought grade 5 metric bolts and

nylock nuts and a few washers for kicks.

completely avoided welding.

i havent put the plastic door sill back on yet, probably get to that on friday.

in the front i used 2" pieces of the same 1x1 set em on top of the stock

bulkhead, and a piece of flat 1/4 plate with two holes drilled, one for the stock body hole, and one to keep the seat stuck to the 1x1.

the nissan NX has some fairly nice seats

considered the XT seats, but they are heavy and have too much junk on em.

prelude seats are heavier and have too much junk on em.

volkswagen seats are nice and simple, but have a bizarre mounting system.

talon/eclipse/laser seats arent even close and you cannot take the rails off.

i looked at two hours worth of seats, domestic and fern, and went back for the crx.

eventually my digital camera might come home, and i will take some very unimpressive photos. so dont be dissapointed when it looks like :P cause it does. but only if you look.

I have to say that the Toyota 4 runner seats (93 or 4) that I put in my brat Are pretty sweat ajustable Headrest , Lumbar,Under your knees and on both sides of your torso. They are some work getting in but its definetly worth it once your on the road no movement in the seat while rallying and I drive to the flathead valley in Montana its about

( 8-10) hrs and no butt knumbing affects:banghead:

You should check um out LT

I have to say that the Toyota 4 runner seats (93 or 4) that I put in my brat Are pretty sweat ajustable Headrest , Lumbar,Under your knees and on both sides of your torso. They are some work getting in but its definetly worth it once your on the road no movement in the seat while rallying and I drive to the flathead valley in Montana its about

How much was the total rise from the floor to butt level withthe new seats? I have played with a 280 z, and Dodge stratus Power seats, but ended up going back to the original Subies because I lost to much head room.

Kurt

Hhhhmmm - don't remeber the year off-hand. Late 80's I think are all similar. The install is pretty easy - remove the seat rails from the seats, and bolt the outer subaru rail on.... The inner rail has to be moved out slightly to match up to the floor. I just welded some tabs on to move it out a bit.

14077Img_1104.jpg

total height change not to much probably an inch I used 1/4 in steel for new bracket mounts I removed the origanal seat brackets and just attached to the 1/4 inc steel u shaped stock directley to the seat and then to the suby brackets

I am 6'1 or 2 and I have no problem with head room I did have a set of outback leather buckets and they were really high so I think It really depends on the seats

How much was the total rise from the floor to butt level withthe new seats? I have played with a 280 z, and Dodge stratus Power seats, but ended up going back to the original Subies because I lost to much head room.

Kurt

Hhhhmmm - don't remeber the year off-hand. Late 80's I think are all similar. The install is pretty easy - remove the seat rails from the seats, and bolt the outer subaru rail on.... The inner rail has to be moved out slightly to match up to the floor. I just welded some tabs on to move it out a bit.

14077Img_1104.jpg

THanks for the info - i have an 88 model - im sure it would be completely different to install in my car .. Looks awesome, and I bet its comfy

Tabs are only welded on one rail - outer is bolted to the seat just like the subaru seats. I made the tabs pretty good sized and bolted them to the rail. Only welds are to the seat because there is no room for a bolt head - too close to the rail. The tabs are short and fat, and the welds are deep.