Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First Subaru, first post, first question:

nimrod

Hey, I just bought a very clean '87 GL Wagon last week, my first Subaru. It's front drive, fuel injected, uh...red, and that's about all I know about it. I've looked throught the Owner's Manual for engine specs, model numbers, etc. and couldn't find anything. Like, is it OHV or OHC? How the hell do you get in there to adjust valves?!?! Also, the only thing that doesn't work is the air conditioning which I gather was a dealer installed item. Can I just remove the belt? It goes around the power steering, too, but there's another belt around that as well. I just figured there's no reason to turn the compressor if it's not working. Anyway, I'm sure I'll have tons of questions as I'm a DIYer, and this looks like the best place to ask! Now the painful business of getting rid of my beloved '75 Corolla which I've had for twenty years....

Your 87 wagon would have the OHC engine know as the EA82, unless someone swapped it out for the older OHV EA81 engine. The easy way to tell the difference between them is to look at engine block, under the powersteering pump the engine model number is casted in the block. As far as the valve adjustment, well there isn't any since an EA82 has hydraulic valve lash adjusters.

Yes, I found the EA82, behind the dipstick, thanks for the info, that's nowhere in the manual. That's good news about the valve adjustment, I had hoped that was the case. This my first fuel injected car (!), are there any issues I should know about? The car is kind of stumbly at low speed, especially till it REALLY warms up, is that normal? Is the FI tunable at all? Thanks...

probably just need some tweaking... and some new parts to help stumbles... First check the air and fuel filters out... then got for plugs wires cap and rotor and then an O2 sensor will do wonders.... Also check the coolant temp sensor for corosion.... all these things are very easy and cheper to do your self BTW....

good luck and welcome

Like KBD said, I've been told that the coolant temp sensor is problematic on these cars, so it might not hurt to throw a new one on. Definitely ditto on the tuneup items though.

The FI system can't really be messed with much. You can advance the timing a couple of degrees and that might help. Many people have had success cutting out the bottom of the airbox to improve flow, as well as opening up the exhaust a little.

Thanks for the tips! Do you guys have a good on-line source for parts such as the aforementioned O2 sensor and coolant temp sensor? We don't even have a Subaru dealer in this town. Oh, and so what about that air conditioner belt...do you think I can just take it off since I was told the compressor is bad? There's still another belt going around the power steering....Thanks for the info! BTW, "Nimrod" isn't supposed to mean anything (especially not expert...), it just sounds funny.

Thanks for the tips! Do you guys have a good on-line source for parts such as the aforementioned O2 sensor and coolant temp sensor? We don't even have a Subaru dealer in this town. Oh, and so what about that air conditioner belt...do you think I can just take it off since I was told the compressor is bad? There's still another belt going around the power steering....Thanks for the info! BTW, "Nimrod" isn't supposed to mean anything (especially not expert...), it just sounds funny.

Mine has the AC belt taken off, and seems to work fine. I've seen a few of them like this, since apparently the dealer installed AC usually fails (on any one that I've every owned). I did own one with factory AC, and it worked fine, but those were very rare.

The biggest issue with these engines seems to be oil leaks (just check it every time you gas up), ticking valves (if it doesn't tick now, just make sure you change the oil regularly, and even if it does tick, it doesn't seem to hurt the engine) and head gaskets. If you don't over heat it, the head gasket should be fine, but that's a good reason to replace the temp sensor, and probably put a high quality thermostat in too while you are at it.

That's kind of what I figured on the A/C belt...I was lucky to find a car that was maintained compulsively. I just have handwritten notes, but they changed the oil often (at least every 3K mi or once a year). What about synthetic oil? I swear by it, I used it in my 2TC Corolla and it has almost 300K miles and has never had the head off -- like, original timing chain! I'm tempted to rip out all the air conditioning plumbing to I can see what I'm doing in there...

That's kind of what I figured on the A/C belt...I was lucky to find a car that was maintained compulsively. I just have handwritten notes, but they changed the oil often (at least every 3K mi or once a year). What about synthetic oil? I swear by it, I used it in my 2TC Corolla and it has almost 300K miles and has never had the head off -- like, original timing chain! I'm tempted to rip out all the air conditioning plumbing to I can see what I'm doing in there...

I use synthetic 5w40 in mine. It likes it, and still starts easy at 0 degrees in the winter, but does burn about a quart every 1000. It burns less on regular 20w50. I figure $5 for more oil once a month is worth it.

Yes, I found the EA82, behind the dipstick, thanks for the info, that's nowhere in the manual.

Spend the money and get the book 'How to Keep your Subaru Alive for the Compleat Idiot' by Larry Owens. I think it might be out of print but used copies can be had for around $50 on Amazon. For the 80's Subarus it is much more useful than a Chilton. My Chilton that covers that year (1987) is better suited to working on my '90 Legacy.

Good luck. I just picked up an '87 GL wagon recently as well.

Tracy