Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 Legacy Sport Automatic OVERHEATING>!

I have a 1991 legacy turbo sport that is overheating at idle and a few minutes into driving it anywhere. I am not seeing any oil in the coolent and have no signs of a blow head gasket, not to mention as a college student I would hope thats not the case.. but if it is.. my first question would be, how much do they run on average? I have replaced the hose that the original vapor leak was comming from as well as the radiator and cap. I am so perplexed as to where this mysterious BLEEDER screw is to burp it?? And I am perplexed as to why the heat on the car isnt working... I also replaced the thermostat and still have had no success.... please help me before the subie dealer gets a hold of my wallet.

email: fatkat_187@yahoo.com

-maurice

Try parking it with the nose way up. A curb, slanted driveway, ramps/whatever. Turn on heater. Run till circulation starts with rad cap off, monitor coolant level - top up as required. Fill o'flow bottle appropriately. replace rad cap and park normally. Let engine cool. Monitor o'flow bottle after engine has cooled and top off if req. Drive and monitor heat, coolant levels for a few drive cycles. Also confirm rad fans are working and hoses get hot.

If problem persists, investigate head gaskets, water pumps and clogged rad.

Carl

I have a 1991 legacy turbo sport that is overheating at idle and a few minutes into driving it anywhere. I am not seeing any oil in the coolent and have no signs of a blow head gasket, not to mention as a college student I would hope thats not the case.. but if it is.. my first question would be, how much do they run on average? I have replaced the hose that the original vapor leak was comming from as well as the radiator and cap. I am so perplexed as to where this mysterious BLEEDER screw is to burp it?? And I am perplexed as to why the heat on the car isnt working... I also replaced the thermostat and still have had no success.... please help me before the subie dealer gets a hold of my wallet.

email: fatkat_187@yahoo.com

-maurice

Ok if this started suddenly, did you check to see if the cooling fans are operating. next if the are operating, remove the radiator cap and look for two things. First thing your going to look for is water flow (have somone keep an eye on the temp gauge), second for bubbles in the water. Also what color is your exhaust. I dont think this is head gasket, sounds more like a stuck thermostate or failed cooling fans.

Another possability is if you have operating AC, turn it on to max and see if the cooling fans kick on. That would tell you if you have a bad Radiator fan motor, or a bad switch.

Have you had any work done recently on the car?

Joe

Try parking it with the nose way up. A curb, slanted driveway, ramps/whatever. Turn on heater. Run till circulation starts with rad cap off, monitor coolant level - top up as required. Fill o'flow bottle appropriately. replace rad cap and park normally. Let engine cool. Monitor o'flow bottle after engine has cooled and top off if req. Drive and monitor heat, coolant levels for a few drive cycles. Also confirm rad fans are working and hoses get hot.

If problem persists, investigate head gaskets, water pumps and clogged rad.

Carl

The nose up thing wont work with the EJ22T... the fill point/radiator cap is on the expansion tank which is quite high up in the engine bay and closer to the the firewall than the radiator. Just leave it level run it with the cap off tell the thermostat opens and top it off. make sure you have some coolant in the recovery tank and a few heat/cold cycles should purge the air from the system (pretty much as Carl said, just level).

Check the pic below, the expansion tank is right of the throttle body and note the bleed line from the top left of the radiator that leads up the the expansion tank... its a well designed system.

engine.jpg

Gary

thats a great idea

there is so much info on this site that could be organised like that

would keep from ansering the same questions a million times.

Im suprised i got so many miles out of the last 2 legacys ive had after seeing all the things I didnt do right.

There should someway to 'sticky' or add a coolant fill FAQ. I'd vote for the one Setright created, or 3-4 better ones as a group or something. A week doesn't go by without coolant and torque bind questions. There should be an easily linked reference to send folks to.