Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Attention all Suby Gurus' I need your help

Thanks in adance for your help...

I am a very novice mechanic but I'm sure I can figure this out...I have a 95 Suby Impreza that so far has been an outstanding car, but this morning (because it got kinda cold last night) that I don't have any heat in the car. If I turn the temp control knob to heat it only blows cold air, and of course the same thing happens if I turn the knob to the old side. The actually air temp doesn't seem to change no matter what I do. What should I look for first?

Can the actual control be bad? Can my heater core be out? No idea where to start..any assistance would be grateful.

Well if its anything like the rest on the sooby line (im taking a guess here), under the dash on the passenger side there is black box you will see a lever with a cablle attached. This should be your heater control cable try moving this manually. If it gives you heat the problem is the cable (assuming its attached) or the knob part.

You cant hurt anything by looking under there, so dont be afraid to move stuff. It should be the only cable there (i have a legacy OBW so im assuimng its relativly close to that in operation).

nipper

Check the cable under the dash as nipper recommends but also check your antifreeze/coolant level! If it's low and there is air in the system it can cause low to no heat.

Also you can do a search on the burping proceedures for the system to bleed out air.

The heater (blend door) cable is connected on the left side of the air handler box behind the radio. That's to the right and upward of the gas pedal. See if it moves when you turn the dial, that will tell which end is disconnected.

while you're solving problems.... (my apologies for the multiple post but i'm just learning how this works)

hello,

i'm new, so i'm just jumping in in the hopes of finding some help.

my 95 L 2.2 a/t went after i blew a rear seal, and the idiot mechanic who replaced it didn't add any fluid to the transmission. after reverse failed (75-80 miles) i went and bought 5 qts. of fluid and added 4 of them. now i need a transmisson. while looking for a decent one, i came across a 95 gt 2.5 with an "over heating engine", dirt cheap. (i can now guess that it needs head gaskets or more.)

question: can i take the 2.5 gt trans and put in the 2.2 car? or vice versa, can i put my 2.2 engine in the 2.5 car? both cars are a little rough, but i was hoping i could take 2 and make one good. i love the 2.2 and just did the timing belt, valve covers, and rear brakes. i dream of an outback wagon, but after learning about the head gasket problems i have my doubts. hey subaru, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks,

john

while you're solving problems.... (my apologies for the multiple post but i'm just learning how this works)

hello,

i'm new, so i'm just jumping in in the hopes of finding some help.

my 95 L 2.2 a/t went after i blew a rear seal, and the idiot mechanic who replaced it didn't add any fluid to the transmission. after reverse failed (75-80 miles) i went and bought 5 qts. of fluid and added 4 of them. now i need a transmisson. while looking for a decent one, i came across a 95 gt 2.5 with an "over heating engine", dirt cheap. (i can now guess that it needs head gaskets or more.)

question: can i take the 2.5 gt trans and put in the 2.2 car? or vice versa, can i put my 2.2 engine in the 2.5 car? both cars are a little rough, but i was hoping i could take 2 and make one good. i love the 2.2 and just did the timing belt, valve covers, and rear brakes. i dream of an outback wagon, but after learning about the head gasket problems i have my doubts. hey subaru, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks,

john

If you put thwe tranny from the GT into your L, get the rear differential as well to be sure that the final gear ratios match. The 2.2 (L) engine will fit fine in the 2.5 GT chasis, but you may have to swap the ECU as well, to prevent throwing a code for no good reason. . .