Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'96 Subaru outback,performance parts available?

What can I do to it to get a bit more power from the Ej22e engine?

What are my options?

Limited, and some of the following have downsides associated with them or are otherwise controversial - listed in the order I think I would do them;

Lighter alloy wheels (multiple benefits)

'snorkusectomy'

lighter flywheel if manual tranny (but stay over 10 lbs or so)

lighter (probably not underdriven) pulley set if auto tranny

perhaps free-er flowing exhaust (though you may lose torque down low in exchange for a little high-rev HP)

there MAY be some cams/internals available but at that point you may as well swap in a 2 liter turbo.

A lot depends on what you want to do with the car. If you want to pull harder from the line, you could even get smaller diameter tires - though your speedometer/odometer will be wrong and highway mileage would likely suffer.

just my $0.02

Limited, and some of the following have downsides associated with them or are otherwise controversial - listed in the order I think I would do them;

Lighter alloy wheels (multiple benefits)

'snorkusectomy'

lighter flywheel if manual tranny (but stay over 10 lbs or so)

lighter (probably not underdriven) pulley set if auto tranny

perhaps free-er flowing exhaust (though you may lose torque down low in exchange for a little high-rev HP)

there MAY be some cams/internals available but at that point you may as well swap in a 2 liter turbo.

A lot depends on what you want to do with the car. If you want to pull harder from the line, you could even get smaller diameter tires - though your speedometer/odometer will be wrong and highway mileage would likely suffer.

just my $0.02

So,um...how easy is it to drop a 2.2 turbo into it then?...I have no bills and have good enough income I geuss.

Oh and what is a "snorkusectomy"?

So,um...how easy is it to drop a 2.2 turbo into it then?...I have no bills and have good enough income I geuss.

easier to find a 2 liter from a WRX or, if you're lucky, an STi

I have only read about swaps like this. If no one here steps up with real world advice - try digging around over at http://www.nasioc.com those guys are big into modding and tuning.

You have to get the engine first (be sure to also get the matching ECU), pull out the old engine and drop in the new one. is yoru Outback a 2.2, or a 2.5L? I'm working on a 96 Outback with a 2.5L engine right now, and thought that most/all of the Outbacks were 2.5L's No, the FSM has procedures for both engines. Hmmm. . .

OK, if you have a manual tranny, then it is a bit easier than if you have an auto. The transmission are right in the way of the left side bell housing bolts, making getting at (at least the lower one) dificult at best. In either case, pull the fans and radiator to give yourself room to pull the engine off the tranny and get it out of the car. Pulling either engine is 5-6 Hrs for one person and a hoist. This makes the swap a weekend job at least. Do you have a second car to drive while the work is being done?

I've read the best results in japan was to leave inplace the stock exhast pipe back to the muffler since the engine seems to prefer that size (not larger) but then replace the muffler on back with a straight thru 2 or 3" internal pipe type muffler..results in only a slight increase in noise but a notable kick up in power with this simple mod plus no loss in torque.