Ultimate Subaru Message Board

When you smash an F150 pickup into a '99 Forester S...

...nobody wins. This is the lesson my wife and I have recently found to be true. An F150 hit my wife on thursday and now both vehicles have been declared legally dead. Fortunately, my wife escaped the accident with a couple of scratches (she was alone in the car) as did the driver of the F150.

My wife is upset at not having her Forester S. We thought that when the Foresters began to give out (we have two...umm...had two), we would move up to the Volvo XC 70. The more I look at them now, the more I'm not so sure I want to do that.

I value the opinions I see on here and would appreciate any comments you may offer. Thanks.

In all fairness, any number of other vehicles she might've been in (including a Volvo) may have served as well at protecting her. I DO realize that personal anecdotes like this can have an effect of increasing brand loyalty and certainly a new Forester should stay on your list of replacement vehicles assuming it still fits other aspects of your selection criteria, but I wouldn't limit myself JUST because of the wreck.

glad everyone's OK

My wife is upset at not having her Forester S. We thought that when the Foresters began to give out (we have two...umm...had two), we would move up to the Volvo XC 70. The more I look at them now, the more I'm not so sure I want to do that.

I value the opinions I see on here and would appreciate any comments you may offer. Thanks.

I would shy away from Volvo now. My Mom was looking at them and Audi Quattro's before she got the '03 Legacy GT sedan. The reliablity of the Volvo's and the Audi is WAY less than ANY Subaru or Infinity G35X (AWD) or a the new Mazdaspeed6 5-door, AWD!! Even Lexus has the IS300 in AWd now! There are a lot of coices in AWD cars now!

I would stay with a subaru or toyota AWD. Or maybe the Maxda somone suggested although I have no personal experience with any Mazda's newer than 1974. I do like the old 80's Volvos and Audi and Volvo make good AWD's from what I hear, but they are more expensive mostly because they are luxury SUV's now, not because the AWD is better than subaru. And maintenance costs, at least with the Audi/VW is not as good as I'd expect. I don't think the XC70 gets very good gas mileage either (but I might be thinking of the XC90).

Also there was one time we were going skking and we passed a well stuck XC70 in my friend's front wheel drive Jetta. More just bad judgement/poor driving skills on the Volvo owners part than anything else, but it was funny nonetheless.

Zeke

If you liked the '99 Forester then you should really like the '03 or newer Forester models. Now they have the LL Bean Editions also if you really want to get fancy. The fact that the car stood up to the crash of a truck like that and no one got hurt is great.

I like the Volvos also but from what I hear of the problems they can have I think the Forester will be more reliable and less expensive to maintain in the long run. They are still offering some buying incentives with low financing rates and some cash back for the new ones.

I feel your pain. A few months ago my son nailed a Chrysler Sebring with our 2005 Impreza Outback totalling both cars. I was impressed that even though the whole front of the Impreza was smashed, the gap between the fenders and the front doors didn't close up a bit.

I would be very wary of the Volvo unless you have deep pockets and a Volvo mechanic in the family.

I was looking for one for my wife also and after lots of research and talking to other owners there are lots of issues with them.

The Volvo awd system is not very good and tends to be problematic. Nothing like the rock solid Subaru awd system.

Volvo repairs are scarry to say the least, my co-workers just died on the road the other day, 75k needs a new throttle sensor, $2500 dollar shop bill.

If you look at the sites listed below you will see there are lots of issues with them, especially when you are comparing them to a Subaru.

Check out these sites :

http://www.volvoxc.com

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/chat/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=723d7320ed3349864d6ff98a8adc1265

VOLVO 850!!! parents had a 95' you could feel the solidness volve also gives 250grand to the family of one who dies in it

Check out this site about 850's. http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/chat/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=723d7320ed3349864d6ff98a8adc1265

Yes they are solid cars but not way as reliable as subaru's.

And the 250 grand is urban legend.

not sure if you meant legend or myth concerning the 250k accidental death policy on volvos. It might be legend in some sense of the word but it is not myth. The brochure is still in the pocket of my 96 850. It is 250k per death/ one million per accident if you have your seatbelt on at the time of the accident. I hope they never have to pay!

Thanks to all that replied to my post. Looked really hard at the Volvo, but went back to Subaru. My dealer sells Volvos and Subarus and she had a 2002 V70 awd wagon. My wife went to get it and it was GONE. So as a consolation prize, she got a 2002 L.L. Bean version wagon.

...nobody wins. This is the lesson my wife and I have recently found to be true. An F150 hit my wife on thursday and now both vehicles have been declared legally dead. Fortunately, my wife escaped the accident with a couple of scratches (she was alone in the car) as did the driver of the F150.

Thanks to all that replied to my post. Looked really hard at the Volvo, but went back to Subaru. My dealer sells Volvos and Subarus and she had a 2002 V70 awd wagon. My wife went to get it and it was GONE. So as a consolation prize, she got a 2002 L.L. Bean version wagon.

Congrates!!

I would say you got a much more reliable car in the LL Bean, as nice as the Volvo without the maintance cost and reliability issues.

sorry to hear about your loss. darn ford drivers anyway! Quite impressive that your Forester took out the truck. (built ford tough!:lol: ) Glad every one was ok. The results of the accident should help you feel good about your purchase of another fine automobile. Take care.:)