Ultimate Subaru Message Board

7 inch lift friend or foe?.....let me rephrase

i have been thinking about giving my subie a little height

a 4 inch suspension lift and a 3 inch body lift

so is this a little to tall i was thinking of rollover posibility and it might be a little to much does anyone have a lift or ideas or know any problems i might face putting that on a 88 dl wagon

thanks guys

-luke

ok so im now unclear people have been telling a whole aray of why i can and cant do so let me rephrase my question

#1 is the 88 dl wagon a unit bodys

#travel clearance issues with the 4 inch cant i drop pumpkin and engine?

new problem the lug pattern as far as i can tell ya get get tight wheels for a lifted subi unless you change the pattern....correct

#3whats a good lug pattern to go to how easy is it?

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. A suspension lift modifies the suspension below the frame, so that the frame sits higher off the ground. There are 4" kits available for this.

A body lift raises the body above the frame. Subarus don't have a frame, so I'm not sure how you would accomplish this. :confused:

What 4" suspension kits are available? The standard 4" kit is a body lift. It is possible. They have been doing it for about 15+ yrs. The most you could probably get away with for suspension lift is about 2". Any more than that and you will have a steady diet of blown axles. You will find many posts/threads in the offroad forum as well as a Frequently Asked Questions thread that is stickied at the top of the forum.

Hey Subarian, you seem like a pretty smart guy. Your posts are informative. If you aren't sure about something search our database it has alot of info.

i dont think it would be possible to get much more than a 2 inch suspension lift, i have strictly a 2 inch suspension lift in the rear and my downward travel is about at its maximum, just remember on a subaru you dont have a seperate differential in the front so you you have to make sure to drop that enough to get the right axle angles.

my downward travel is about at its maximum

I beg to differ here....as far as the trailing arm is concerned, I have a 4" suspension lift (the diff is dropped some, but not the trailing arm) and I still have a TON of downtravel. The geometry is changed, so it'll be stiff at first, but it will loosen up.

The problem is the axles...as far as the axles are concerned, I have a 1" susp. lift in the front, and I tried to go higher, and ate through axles like none other!

What 4" suspension kits are available? The standard 4" kit is a body lift. It is possible. They have been doing it for about 15+ yrs. The most you could probably get away with for suspension lift is about 2". Any more than that and you will have a steady diet of blown axles. You will find many posts/threads in the offroad forum as well as a Frequently Asked Questions thread that is stickied at the top of the forum.

Hey Subarian, you seem like a pretty smart guy. Your posts are informative. If you aren't sure about something search our database it has alot of info.

so if the subaru is a unit body how can i lift the body ? :banghead: this is proving more and more difficult

hey numbchux you have your differential dropped 2 inches though dont you, basically the way im figuring it is you may have the rear 4 inches higher but since you dropped the rear dif down then running gear wise you only have a technical 2 inch lift(i am probably making no sense the way im describeing this.)

on mine the differential was not touched, though just thinking about it i probably got 3 inches on mine since my extender is 2 inches and i got my adjustables all the way up so that gives me about another inch or so. mine might be more limited because of the difference in between the dif and the wheels themselves

lucifer i could be wrong but i believe on teh 10 inch lift they are probably running a divorced t-case

if i were you, i would just do a t'case mod and the works. suspention lift, ehh by by axles.yes subarus are unibodys, the body lifts are sorta different from a body lift for say, a truck. if you want to go with any tires bigger than 29 inches, your definatly gona want a t'case mod. any thing bigger than 29 and stock gearing, its not gona be fun to drive...well any way, good luck with your project

so if the subaru is a unit body how can i lift the body ? :banghead: this is proving more and more difficult

Pay really close attention this time.

Go to the offroad forum and click the thread "Frequently Asked Questions about how to upgrade, lift, shoe your Soob for wheeling. This will give you links, info, and website of people who make kits and accessories for your car. It really isn't rocket science.

Now, maybe you can answer me a question. What are you going to be using your car for? Heavy duty trail rig? Daily driver? Weekend warrior?

Not to be an a$$, but shouldn't this be moved to the Offroad section?

As for the subject.

What a Subaru body lift does is puts blocks in between the "running gear" and body. So, when you lift a subie you are lifting the body off of the rear shocks/ struts, rear diff and cross member, gearbox crossmember and gearbox, engine crossmember and engine, front struts, and swaybars (tell me if I missed anything) When you do a suspension lift you are just lifting the shockers and struts. This, because subaru use inderpendent suspesion unlike toyotas soild axles, will put more angle on your CV and DO joints. And there for taking them past the limit they have. And then you start hearing CLICK CLICK every time you move the car. I have heard you can only go about 1.5" of suspension lift in old subies before you really start eating axles.

So, where all the "Running gear" is bolted to the body you would put 4" tall or so blocks of metal and longer bolts. And you will be able to fit 29" tyres.

If you want to do huge suspension lifts, then think about moving to soild axles. I think someone here (they call there car the Death Hatch) uses soilds. Much stronger design, but less manurvable.

Easiest thing to do is buy or build a 4 to 6 inch body lift and put big tyres on it. Of cause, even with my 27's its a pain in the butt to drive. Stock is 23" I think...

Does this clarfiy anything? I was of the opinion that every one wasn't understanding every one else...

hey numbchux you have your differential dropped 2 inches though dont you, basically the way im figuring it is you may have the rear 4 inches higher but since you dropped the rear dif down then running gear wise you only have a technical 2 inch lift(i am probably making no sense the way im describeing this.)

You make perfect sense, however, yes, I've dropped the diff ~2"....but the trailing arm is still tucked tight against the body. so travel isn't effected. the only reason I have the diff dropped is to protect my axles, but that doesn't effect travel, if the travel goes down too far, it simply destroy's the axle, but doesn't limit the wheel's movement.

lucifer child....I'm sorry, I like new people, but don't ask this question....any of them, they've been asked 18,000 times (figuratively speaking)....look around...then go look under the car....you'll figure it out, and if you don't, you're not going to be building a lift for it, it's quite simple.

You make perfect sense, however, yes, I've dropped the diff ~2"....but the trailing arm is still tucked tight against the body. so travel isn't effected. the only reason I have the diff dropped is to protect my axles, but that doesn't effect travel, if the travel goes down too far, it simply destroy's the axle, but doesn't limit the wheel's movement.

yeah i remember when you first got the lift and started wheeling you were saying you were eating through a couple axles, and i remember the trailing arm being tucked against the body on the AA kit,im think on my setup the axles are limiting my downward travel, basically im probably maxing out the axles, and i may start snapping my axles once i get some good meaty tires on it.

yeah i remember when you first got the lift and started wheeling you were saying you were eating through a couple axles, and i remember the trailing arm being tucked against the body on the AA kit,im think on my setup the axles are limiting my downward travel, basically im probably maxing out the axles, and i may start snapping my axles once i get some good meaty tires on it.

OK, I think I see what you mean...yes, safe downtravel is limited, however, the axle will not physically keep the suspension from extending downward....if you're in a situation where one rear wheel wants to drop down further than the axle can reach....the axle is going to fail, not hold your wheel in the air.

hmm thats interesting to know numbchux, im wondering if my bushings in the front, are a little too tight or something, when i was putting in my extenders, even with the axle and shock unbolted it wouldnt go down that far, even with stepping on it!!

anyhow back on subject i forgot to mention the link q-man gave is an exellent post to give you all the basic ideas about doing a lift.