Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So i poured a bunch of acetone in my fuel tank...

OK, if you think of the mixing ratio 10 GALLONS! to 3 OUNCES...that's a very small ratio. That's 1280 ounces of gas to 3 ounces of acetone. That's a %0.2 acetone mixture. I highly doubt that it could harm any parts in a car that gas wouldn't harm. I'd say it's safe to use. Not to mention if you put 3 ounces to 14 gallons.

Oh yeah, I'm trying it in my EA82T...although I did question the fact that the measuring container I used starting to deteriate when I poured acetone in it.

OK, if you think of the mixing ratio 10 GALLONS! to 3 OUNCES...that's a very small ratio. That's 1280 ounces of gas to 3 ounces of acetone. That's a %0.2 acetone mixture. I highly doubt that it could harm any parts in a car that gas wouldn't harm. I'd say it's safe to use. Not to mention if you put 3 ounces to 14 gallons.

Oh yeah, I'm trying it in my EA82T...although I did question the fact that the measuring container I used starting to deteriate when I poured acetone in it.

You guys have obviously ignored my post about this!

READ MY POST, IVE BEEN USING IT FOR AWHILE NOW WITH NO BAD EFFECTS IN SEVERAL CARS.

READ MY POST, IVE BEEN USING IT FOR AWHILE NOW WITH NO BAD EFFECTS IN SEVERAL CARS.

But... but... but... theory says it may potentially cause some sort of long-term problem down the road!!!1111one

I love threads like this. People who have been doing it and tested for themselves the validity of the claims are saying, "It works. It doesn't hurt the fuel system." And yet, people sitting in theoretical land keep complaining that it might potentially do something long-term, and... etc.

I'm going to give it a shot next time I fill up.

-=Russ=-

I'm all for scientific tests, but I can't ignore that I've seen 3x as many people say they tried it and it made no difference.

The question I have IS - What kind of records did they keep and was their driving conditions similar? I've found you MUST take an average of at least 5 to 10 tank fulls with and without before coming to any conclusions. If you keep accurate records, you'll find mpg will vary from tank to tank even w/o any apparant changes.

Acetone is really hard on rubber and other surfaces. It also has a bad habit of evaporating very quickly, not to mention is very flammable, more so than fuel is. If you spill it, it can react with certain clear coats and paints. It isn't that cheap either at 8+ dollars, at least here, a gallon, so the fuel savings would be small if any. I would leave it for cleaning paint guns and thinning and leave it out of my fuel tank.

Or leave it in the tanks for us welders...lol

i really need to remeber where i read these things.... im going to so many drs lately hard to keep track :banghead:

Some car mag did a comparison on octane boosters, including using acetone. One of the interesting parts of the test was that you can go as high as 30% acetone before you start doing damage, but damage starts at 31% They found out that everything actually worked.. much to thier surprise.

nipper

The question I have IS - What kind of records did they keep and was their driving conditions similar? I've found you MUST take an average of at least 5 to 10 tank fulls with and without before coming to any conclusions. If you keep accurate records, you'll find mpg will vary from tank to tank even w/o any apparant changes.

Good records are definitely important, however controlling all of the variables is far more important. You must correct for things like ambient temperature, barometric pressure, type of grade travelled, etc. You must be mechanically anal and make sure your test car isn't suffering from rubbing brake pads, low pressure tires, change the oil regularly, etc. Hardly anybody actually does things like this, so I keep my skepticism handy.

A 10% change isn't really statistically signifigant. 17-28% change is, and you're the first person I've seen to claim such gains. You must halt acetone use to really prove the point though. I wonder about the injector cleaning properties of acetone.

These claims beg someone to run a car on a dyno in an absolutely controlled situation to prove or disprove this stuff.