Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hows My Brat Coming?

looks freakin awesome man!!where in NJ are you?i would like to stop by and check it out sometime if you don`t mind. i live in NY, but pass through Jersey quite a bit and have 2 brats. what kind of lift are you running?

I live at the very most northwest corner of nj (wantage) Im using pk davis's 4/3" lift. Ram engines did the machine shop work on the block and heads and I assembled everything. Feel free to stop be one night or weekend

ya! Ram did the machine shop work.The block is punched .030 over and dowel pins were added to the case halves.They did the heads as well and made the intake.I assembled and painted everything (por-15 engine enamel) I will post more pics of the engine in its early stages.

Thanks for all the nice comments fellas!

In that picture I had the strut lift blocks on backwards.I have corrected this since.Im sure once the rest of the engine and trans is in it will compress the susp giving me less pos. camber.

I reversed the blocks but now there is another problem,the top of the strut coil spring seat is rubbing the inner fender well.I guess I will just hammer out some clearance,kind of sucks cause everything is painted up nice in the well.

In that picture I had the strut lift blocks on backwards.I have corrected this since.Im sure once the rest of the engine and trans is in it will compress the susp giving me less pos. camber.

I reversed the blocks but now there is another problem,the top of the strut coil spring seat is rubbing the inner fender well.I guess I will just hammer out some clearance,kind of sucks cause everything is painted up nice in the well.

oh yes, lots of hammering needed there... will help with the camber to, as the block can slide over more....

• 10 months later...

Well,its been a long drawn out project but its 98% complete and drivabable. Gotta find a rear bumper and a few misc items but here it is.

This turned into a complete ground up resto. I am pleased with all the body fit after I changed the top over from a hard top to a fun top. everything lined up 100% Tomorrow it will go to my shop for alignment,Im sure I will battle with the camber for a while to get it right.

post-9704-136027618675_thumb.jpg

post-9704-136027618679_thumb.jpg

38mm DGAS weber . Mid range is totally flat,I gotta re-jet .went thru my settings yesterday. mixture screws are way out and according to weber that indicates to lean of a main jet. set the timing to 18 btdc and reaches 34 btdc just as ram specifies so I think it must be all in the carburation. Idles nice, off idle pulls hard(breaks the tires loose like crazy,top end may be holding back /too lean but is decent.

running 215/70/14 and they were rubbing on turns until I cranked up the front struts. The rear side of the fenders I cut back before paint and now I regret cutting the front edge as well. These tires will work until I can figure out a better combo.

• 4 months later...

little eye candy for you guys

This is about all the snow it will see after all the hard work. southern cali steel .you can literally eat off the undercarrage,cant seem to find it in me to run it down the salty roads or off road it like I originally planned on.

post-9704-136027621343_thumb.jpg