Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Fan Delete

I dont want to put the clutch fan back on the ea82Twhen im done. Has anyone successfully replaced their clutch fan with an electric fan? I already have one electric on the radiator, but i'd like to get another. I can see the stock fan is going to be too thick but im not sure how the EA81 fans are and if theyd fit or not.

-Brian

Are they subie fans or did you buy some aftermarket ones? Ive noticed aftermarket fans run upwards of $80-$90.

-Brian

Brian, are you kidding? Read his reply.

Why do you want to replace the fan? If you are worried about HP scavaging then you should consider removing A/C and everything else on the motor that isn't neccessary. Oh, and don't put that power robbing big deck in there. The drain on the alt would rob power as well.

Seriously though, the EA82T is temermental enough stock. Why make it worse?

Leave it stock (like you didn't expect that from me:rolleyes: )..why mess with something that works?

Do you REALLY think by removing the A/C components you'd feel a power gain? Just leave it turned off during hotlapping sessions. There's so little drag that it's not even noticeable (until you turn it on, of course:grin: ).

My 2 bucks.

your welcome:lol: It did not work anyway. thats why I yanked it.

I vote to keep the clutch fan unless you plan on upgraging the alternator at the same time. electric fans draw lots of amps.

I assume if you barely have cash enough to do the motor with a used short block then you dont need to dump money into "play" items.

Will and Dr.K, are you guys using EA81 AC fans or the smaller stock EA81 fans? The AC fans are thinner and wider.

The smaller stock EA81 one on mine, I actually have two of smaller ones on the RX... one on my radiator next to the original EA82 A/C Electric Fan, and one on the bottom of my IC sucking air in through the IC when I want . Don't think the EA81 A/C one will fit between the water pump pulley and the radiator. I have beefed up my electrical system to handle everything, but adding one electric fan isn't going to kill you.

Will and Dr.K, are you guys using EA81 AC fans or the smaller stock EA81 fans? The AC fans are thinner and wider.

-Brian

I dont know which one...but it IS an EA81 fan...and it DOES fit even with the bigazz 2 row race radiator I have. The stock mechanical fan DOES NOT FIT with the big rad.

Do you remember what you paid? I was thinking of hitting the junkyard and trying to find something suitable.

-Brian

I paid about $40 (not sure, I bought some other stuff too...but I think that's about right). I wanted to get a nice new one, since this one would probably be exposed to the elements, and I didn't want it failing