Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I purchased a 1996 Legacy Outback wagon ten months ago and I love it! But, recently I have had a problem with the windows steaming up excessively and then having to wait about 10 minutes for the defroster to get the windows clear enough to see to drive. The other night my temperature gauge actually pegged because I was low on water. I had just had the oil changed 3 weeks prior to this so I assumed all fluids were ok, but the garage guy told me I was not only low on water but down a quart on oil. The mechanic tried to find a leak by using some sort of compression, but he found nothing. He told me to keep checking fluids for awhile. The other night I had to run the defrosters again for awhile and the next morning I was down about a quart of water again. Anyone have similar problems?

Cracking a rear window will help with the fog, as it's interior moisture from you own body that does it. Turn on the A/C if you have it. Always use outside air, don't recycle the stuff inside.

I've heard Subies recirculate air when the windshield deforst mode is selected. You can always do the floor/windshield heatsetting and turn the A/C on.

get the mechanic to do a leak down test on the

cooling system

See if there is a milk colored sustance on the underside of

the oil fill cap.

You may have two situations working here

leaking heater core

and

leaking head gasket

get the mechanic to do a leak down test on the

cooling system

See if there is a milk colored sustance on the underside of

the oil fill cap.

You may have two situations working here

leaking heater core

and

leaking head gasket

I agree with Skip - is the carpet wet under the dash? Most probably the heater core, or nearby connections, leaking.

If it was one of my older Saabs, I'd almost guarantee the heater core!!

Thanks for the ideas. I sure hope I don't have two problems, especially two expensive problems!!

I checked and didn't see any milk colored substance on the underside of the oil fill cap, but I didn't find any oil on the inside of the windows or wet carpet either. I am really stumped! I do, however, think there is a direct corelation between the water loss and the defroster. Seems as though every time I use the defroster for any length of time I need to add water to the radiator. This morning was a good example, I had to add quite a bit of water and last night I sat and waited for forever for the windows to defrost.

A few weeks ago we had a cold snap and I would let my car run in the morning with the defroster going so that the ice would melt off the windshield. Then my heater seems to quit heating for awhile, but then it sort of fixed itself. My mechanic doesn't want to start replacing things only to find out it was something else so I am sure he isn't sure if it's heater or head gasket either. I will ask him about the leak down test. He did some compression test already.

Thanks again for the help!

I have had a problem with the windows steaming up excessively and then having to wait about 10 minutes for the defroster to get the windows clear enough to see to drive. The other night my temperature gauge actually pegged because I was low on water.?

OK this needs to be addressed soon. I will bet money you have a leking heater core. It all makes sense. Normally the defogger clears the window rather quickly using the ac. You have a minor leak in the heater core. your mechanic did a compression test most likely looking for a bad head gasket. Does the car smel like antifreeze (may be small enough leak you cant smell it). You dont want to be breathing this stuff in. Go to subaru and buy a can of thier antifreeze additive (its stopleak) and see if that works. Otherwise you have a bad heater core.

nipper

I agree with the ones saying heater core, I had to replace mine a few months back and I had the same problems, coolant disapearing and windows foging up. Their is a pump you can use on the radiator to see if the cooling system is holding pressure.

Every 4 door vehicle I've owned has had this issue, or any vehicle with a large amount of "rear glass," for that matter.

I had a 2002 GTI and the rear windows would fog like crazy. I also have the same issue with my 2005 STi. I think it's just the nature of the beast.

What do you clean your windows with? Windex just doesn't cut it. Buy a cleaner that is designed for auto windows. What happens is the air that is disbursed by the "compressor" has some sort of "element" in it, which in turn causes this "element" to "stick" to your windows, thus causing a film.

The window cleaner that is designed for automobile windows has something in it that helps to get rid of the film that builds up.

It is possible that the drain tray

built to collect the AC evaporator coils discharge

is also catching the leak from the heater core

This tray has a drain tube located under the car next to the firewall.

If you can find it, taste a drop of it's output fluid (just a drop -don't get excited)

This may tell you where the coolant is going.

It is possible that the drain tray

built to collect the AC evaporator coils discharge

is also catching the leak from the heater core

This tray has a drain tube located under the car next to the firewall.

If you can find it, taste a drop of it's output fluid (just a drop -don't get excited)

This may tell you where the coolant is going.

Just a thought, but it's probably not a real good idea to taste anything coming out of a car. :)

I figured it would get a knee jerk

come on guys

I didn't say

"drink a quart"

If just a taste on the tip of your finger

would permantly cause you problems

think of how many dectetives

would be junkies from testing

suspected substances.

But okay for you folks that

must have your say

do not put anything in your mouth

that is intended to be put elsewhere

fair enough?

Okay, so I won't "taste the antifreeze" but I don't think that is a problem because most of it has been replaced with water anyway. I figured I had better get the problem taken care of before I spread antifreeze all over the country due to the leak. That's probably why I don't smell antifreeze. I did notice that the car smelled "hot" once in awhile but there certainly isn't any indication of green in the overflow.

Thanks for the ideas about steamy windows too, but this problem is way beyond steamy. It's downright zero visability fog.

I am printing all your idea and taking them with me to the mechanic tomorrow. Hopefully it is the heater core then I can move on to getting my computer fixed!:-\ Thanks again!!

Okay, so I won't "taste the antifreeze" but I don't think that is a problem because most of it has been replaced with water anyway. I figured I had better get the problem taken care of before I spread antifreeze all over the country due to the leak. That's probably why I don't smell antifreeze. I did notice that the car smelled "hot" once in awhile but there certainly isn't any indication of green in the overflow.

Thanks for the ideas about steamy windows too, but this problem is way beyond steamy. It's downright zero visability fog.

I am printing all your idea and taking them with me to the mechanic tomorrow. Hopefully it is the heater core then I can move on to getting my computer fixed!:-\ Thanks again!!

Maybe instead of "tasting" the antifreeze you get a paper towel, then sniff the paper towel. :)

I figured it would get a knee jerk

come on guys

I didn't say

"drink a quart"

If just a taste on the tip of your finger

would permantly cause you problems

think of how many dectetives

would be junkies from testing

suspected substances.

But okay for you folks that

must have your say

do not put anything in your mouth

that is intended to be put elsewhere

fair enough?

Every automotive fluid has a distinct, and DIFFERENT taste. Antifreeze is Mondo sweet.

Brake fluid is a sharp, almost Hot taste, that flows across your tounge FAST(Brake fluid is way lighter a substance than water)

Oil, well, that you can pretty much see.

ATF is like brake fluid, with a sour undertone.

Gas, well, again, you usually don;t need to taste.

I learned that a LONG time ago, when doing backyard repairs.

The amounts you get on your tounge, and actually INTO your system are smaller than the EPA allowances in about 90% of the processed food you eat.

Not to say I'd go chugging pints of the fluid, but a SMALL amounton the tounge will not harm you. Hell, might even help.

Every automotive fluid has a distinct, and DIFFERENT taste. Antifreeze is Mondo sweet.

Brake fluid is a sharp, almost Hot taste, that flows across your tounge FAST(Brake fluid is way lighter a substance than water)

Oil, well, that you can pretty much see.

ATF is like brake fluid, with a sour undertone.

Gas, well, again, you usually don;t need to taste.

I learned that a LONG time ago, when doing backyard repairs.

The amounts you get on your tounge, and actually INTO your system are smaller than the EPA allowances in about 90% of the processed food you eat.

Not to say I'd go chugging pints of the fluid, but a SMALL amounton the tounge will not harm you. Hell, might even help.

I'll take your word for it, bro. :D