Ultimate Subaru Message Board

There are 2 heating elements, in the seat bottom, and the seat back.

On High, each is supplied with 12 volts directly. On Low, they are in series with each other. So Both are always on..........EXCEPT when one fails....

Now if one element 'opens' (burns out), the low setting will not work AND the light on the switch doesn't light either. On high, obviously, only the good element continues to work. Usually the seat bottom opens.

On High, each is supplied with 12 volts directly. On Low, they are in series with each other. So Both are always on..........EXCEPT when one fails....

Now if one element 'opens' (burns out), the low setting will not work AND the light on the switch doesn't light either. On high, obviously, only the good element continues to work. Usually the seat bottom opens.

sooo.....the switch is to toggle between high and low? am i drinking beer or buying beer?

wait-- are there 2 SETS (4 total) of heating elements (2 on seat + 2 on back) or 2 heating elements (1 + 1)?? if one heating element burns out (say the bottom one as you suggest) does that mean only the seat back works?

I only ask since I noticed 1 light on the switch burned out, then the following year the other burned out. I thought it was just a light (since I felt heat on the seat), but what you're saying could indicate I'm not getting as much heat on my seat. are the leads for the heating elements easy to access so that I can test them?

WHAT??? There are heating elements in the seat BACKS??? I wish there were heating elements in the seat backs. My 2004 has heated seats and I only feel heat in the cushions (bottoms).

The rocker switches for the heated seats are not intuitive: the center position is OFF, the forward position is HIGH, and the rearward position is LOW.

Each seat has 2 elements. 1 in the bottom seat area where your butt sits, the other in the lower section of the seat back. YES there are 4 elements total for the front seats (some eurpoean spec Subaru's also have rear seat heating). Replacement is not cheap. On some models, they have a replacement element. On these you must remove the seat cover and cut some stitching, only to restitch them after then internal element is replaced. An upholstry shop can do these. Others supply a replacement cover complete with internal element.

If your switch only lights in the High position, I would suspect an open element since low puts the elements in series.

Each seat has 2 elements. 1 in the bottom seat area where your butt sits, the other in the lower section of the seat back.

If your switch only lights in the High position, I would suspect an open element since low puts the elements in series.

Ok, I'm confused again. if the heating elements are in series as you say in a previous post, and there are only 2 TOTAL elements in EACH seat (bottom and back), then wouldn't neither setting (low or high) have any effect if one of the elements is open?

I honestly have a hard time using the "seat of your pants" testing method, because I don't know if the seats get warm because of my big azz and how much heat is being provided from the low and high setting (it's not like I can turn it on high, sit on the seat, then cool everything off, and test with low). Btw, the switch doesn't light up under either setting but I'm pretty sure I'm getting heat- I jsut can't quantify it.

When on High, Each element gets 12v directly and returning each element to ground. On Low, they are in series with 12v entering one element, exiting it then entering the 2nd, then exiting to ground.

Usually when the light is out in just the low setting, it means an element is open.

If the light is out on both settings, either the bulb is burned out, or Both elements are open (defective).

Each seat has 2 elements. 1 in the bottom seat area where your butt sits, the other in the lower section of the seat back.

I DO NOT feel heat from the seat back, only from the seat cushion. With the rocker switch in the forward position, it gets quite warm; in the rearward position, I feel it but it's not that warm.

Are you SURE that there are elements in the seatbacks? I don't believe that there are.

Perhaps the manual will mention which parts of the seats are heated?

By God, you're right! There are heating elements in the seatbacks! I never knew. I've used them quite a bit in the early mornings and the seat cushions get quite warm, but I have never felt heat from the seatbacks. Since it's still under warantee, I'm going to take the car in and get this checked. Thanks!

Perhaps it is harder to feel the heat in the back because when it is cold enough to need your seat warmed you are usually wearing:

a) a shirt

B) maybe a sweater

c) a heavier jacket

whereas the bottom can be felt because you're usually wearing underwear and jeans, much thinner than the clothing on your back.

just my 2 cents.

OK 97 OBW with winter package....

Heated seats. Do i have them in the seat backs, or just the seat bottoms. Also i dont know if low works, but i know high does.

:-\

nipper

I have the same car. Heat in the seat and the back. On low, it is barely noticeable that there is heat, but there is.

Commuter

German spec Subaru's 99-02 had an option for rear seat heating elements. Don't know about current. My buddy's son was stationed in Germany during that time and we discussed many differences between US and German spec vehicles of all types. Their 2.0L engines do cruise the Autobahn with the same gear ratio's we use. So they are really up there in RPM's.

Euro Spec subes have rear heated seats?? I gotta check ebay for this, what models??

:D Uh oh!! I'm the same way, "OMG, an option I don't have on my outback, I gotta get that, just not fair"! I just can't stand it. LOL

fnlyfnd, would you start a thread if you find that we can find the rear heated seats and they work on the us spec cars.

thanks

darren