Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pulling a dual range & throwing it in an OBS

Andyjo

I found an ol' GL Wagon in the junkyard, and it happens to have a dual range tranny in it, i'd like to rip it out and throw it in my OBS, SOO the first thing i'll have to know is not to get the tranny out of there, i've never played with the transmission before, especially the EA ones.. any tips? we're planning on pulling the car up on it's side to get the tranny out.

So that's the first adventure, the second would be putting it in my impreza... I have no idea how to do that :rolleyes:

I wouldn't put the car on it's side. That's a long way for the tranny to fall. Just try to get room to get under it safely. Undo all the bolts at the bellhousing, front axels, electrical connections and free up the shifter from the interior trim. I like to put a rear seat bottom down to cushion the fall. Remove the driveline and tranny crossmember and pull it out onto the seat cushion.

You'll need to make or buy an adapter to mate it up to your EJ and think about axels and cutting up your interior trim for the extra shifter. Sounds like a fun project. Good Luck!

you will need to grab the EA axles. then swap the tranny side of the axle onto your impreza axle. basically same thing you do for a 5-lug only a bit backwards. make an adapter plate form steel, and paint it with rust-oleum afterwards. the bottom bolts line up perfectly, so start there. you might have to drill out the "top bolt" threads on your impreza motor to be able to put a bolt all the way through the motor-adapter-tranny. you will also need the EA82 flywheel. grab an XT6 disc and pressure plate online, and throwout/pilot bearings. you can try to tap the adapter plate, but i wouldnt trust it too much. bolts are better than studs with a 1/2'' of thread.

~Josh~

As far as the TCM, i believe that the only thing you'll have to do is figure out a way to bypass the neutral start, and change one wire in the ECM, its either 5 volts or 0, at least it is on older subies, and which ever one it is, make it the other, and its now a MT ECM.

If you get a pinout of the ECM, which i don't have, sorry, that should be able to tell you if there is a MT reference signal or not.

ya all you have to do to make the ECU "think" its a manual tranny ECU is pull out one wire from the ECU, or just cut it. after that the TCU will try to send info, but ECU will ignore it. as far as the neutral switch, and starter switch, didnt someone wire it into their e-brake or something?

EDIT: you will also need to get your driveshaft shortened..or lengthened, i can never remember. and make sure your rear diff is a 3.90 ratio. if its not, then you need to get a 3.90 rear diff for your car, dont worry, they bolt right up. but you might need to fab something up for the carrier bearing that supports the driveline.

~Josh~

OK plug time.

You'll need an EJ-EA adapter plate to bolt your motor to the new tranny. You'll also need a redrilled EA-82 flywheel that will bolt to your EJ crank. I sell the adapter plates and do the flywheel redrilling. Make sure to grab the flywheel when you grab the tranny.

For axles, I have heard that you can use the axles from a FWD auto Impreza. I have a set but they need to be pulled. Supposedly they are the right length and spline count for the job. I have not confirmed this, but it seems highly likely.

My adapter plates are $185, flywheel redrilling is $75, you can have the pair of axles for $50 or free if you want to come pull them yourself. I'm over in NY about an hour south of Plattsburgh.

I've also heard that, when cut, the EJ center driveshaft will slide right over the EA one making it possible for you to resize it yourself if you are (or know of) a halfway decent welder.

Here's my website for info on the adapter plates and flywheel redrilling:

mroseusa.com

I'm in potsdam ny right, now, i once i get all the junk i need out of this GL i could just drive down & we can figure things out

Thanks!

OK plug time.

You'll need an EJ-EA adapter plate to bolt your motor to the new tranny. You'll also need a redrilled EA-82 flywheel that will bolt to your EJ crank. I sell the adapter plates and do the flywheel redrilling. Make sure to grab the flywheel when you grab the tranny.

For axles, I have heard that you can use the axles from a FWD auto Impreza. I have a set but they need to be pulled. Supposedly they are the right length and spline count for the job. I have not confirmed this, but it seems highly likely.

My adapter plates are $185, flywheel redrilling is $75, you can have the pair of axles for $50 or free if you want to come pull them yourself. I'm over in NY about an hour south of Plattsburgh.

I've also heard that, when cut, the EJ center driveshaft will slide right over the EA one making it possible for you to resize it yourself if you are (or know of) a halfway decent welder.

Here's my website for info on the adapter plates and flywheel redrilling:

mroseusa.com

your also going to need a clutch pedal... since you are switching from auto to manual, your car doesnt have one, i would only hope you know this already, but you never know. some people have a tendancy to overlook the small things..... you should be able to use one from the same make and model of your impreza since they werent hydro yet......should also just bolt up to the firewall, of course i dont know how much you're going to have to remove to get to the mounting spot.........

your also going to need a clutch pedal... since you are switching from auto to manual, your car doesnt have one, i would only hope you know this already, but you never know. some people have a tendancy to overlook the small things..... you should be able to use one from the same make and model of your impreza since they werent hydro yet......should also just bolt up to the firewall, of course i dont know how much you're going to have to remove to get to the mounting spot.........

yeah, i figured on the clutch pedal already, i think the whole cluster just comes out.. and you replace it w/ another one i believe...

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, so i think i've made a better descision... instead of pulling the tranny, i'm just going to buy the wagon.. and fix it up :grin: give it a good lift.. maybe frop a ej22 in it... that way i won't have to mess w/ my impreza anymore than it's already been messed with... this'll make the girlfriend happy, that i'm not messing w/ my only car, but instead messing with a car that isn't required to get me places... mmm... good call me... muhahaha

that means i have more stuff to play with.. i've got the impreza, the BMW, and another subaru, lol... go me... my insurance is going to hate me.. :grin:

97 and 98 impreza OBS are 3.9 gear ratio, so you should be golden there if the daul range is 3.9, which i think it is so long as it's from a non-turbo car. you can check the rear diff plate of the car you pull it from. the TCU won't do anything so no worries there, just play with the ECU wires mentioned above and remove the TCU entirely. *edit*...whoops just saw you're not swapping...

well i've changed my mind AGAIN... went out to the junk yard last night.. and realized that the car isn't in as good shape as i though.. i has 2 windows left, body work is disgusting, missing some axles & hubs (mis matched), it's got 1 wheel, and about 20 old car batteries in it... hmm... i dunno if i have the $$ to fix it up right now.. d'oh... and there's another car leaning on it now :slobber:

Well then just flip it on its side and get the tranny out of it. I pulled a trans like that once, It was so incredibly easy.

ditto. I pulled an xt6 5mt by rolling the car up on it's side with a tractor and putting some 4x4's propped under it... when we backed up the tractor and pulled the 4x4's... the car stayed on it's side. 3 of us had to push REALLY hard to get the car to flop down against the slack in the chain....

just don't be stupid and you'll be fine :banana:

• 2 weeks later...

Redrilling the flywheel is a PITA. Me and my father just spent 4 hours cleaning, measuring, setting up, milling, drilling, and installing the flywheel. The bolt spacing is equal on the EJ's, but it is a f'd up offset pattern on the EA's so that the flywheel can only be installed one way.

The Bridgeport chewed the new holes out easy though, and the flywheel fit on like a glove.