Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hello board

I got a big problem going now. I have a 97 outback 2.5L 70K and today we were about an hour from home going up a pretty steep hill when the car slipped out of 5th going about 58mph uphill. i put it back into 5th being my speed was still good and once in gear, i knew something was wrong. the rpm's gunned up and my power was really really weak. so we pull over and decide to head back home.

the drive home was ok but i could not really pick up speed very easy. it would jump up from 3 to 5K on the rpm's with no speed gain. So we get home and i went out for another short drive to see if i could figure something out? it went from bad to worse real quick and i barely made it up a small hill to get home. I cannot get above 30mpg and i can really feel and hear the car reving up but with no real action. the clutch and transmission feel the same as always so im not sure if the gear slippage was the cause of another problem? any ideas are appreciated. Jeremy

Hard to diagnose over the internet without being there...but I think your clutch is having issues. A new clutch may cost you $800. So maybe another board member can tell whether you can adjust yours first (much cheaper). I know that 2000 and after Legacy/Outback have the self adjusting kind. Not sure about yours though. Clutches wear out faster for some people and slower for others. I bought a used car once with 75000 miles and the clutch was slipping and needed replacing. I usually get close to 100000 miles on my clutches. Some board members can somehow go forever without wearing out theirs. That's why I asked how many miles you had on that clutch.

If you are broke adjust it. Don't drive the car until that is done. It might save you for a while.

Not sure you can adjust this hydraulic clutch...

unfortunately I've replaced two clutches on my 97 OBW in 120000 miles. Not sure why, didn't think my father-in-law, my wife, or I were particularly rough on the clutch.

So, yes, it is possible to need a clutch at 70K, though many last longer.

The clutch kit is about $300, and it's not really an easy job (although I've gotten better at it after twice!) So it could be $800 if you need to hire someone to do it. Be sure to have the flywheel turned or replaced while you're there.

good luck!

Im going to drive it about 3 miles in the morning to RichieRich's shop and see what he can do. so far this has not been the reliable Subaru i was hoping for. thanks all

I don't think replacing a clutch at 70K means a car is unreliable. For that matter, at 70K, a car could need a lot of TLC, especially if it was neglected by the former owner.

You might also consider having the rear main seal changed during the clutch overhaul.

I don't think replacing a clutch at 70K means a car is unreliable. For that matter, at 70K, a car could need a lot of TLC, especially if it was neglected by the former owner.

You might also consider having the rear main seal changed during the clutch overhaul.

70k on a clutch is early but not unreasonable. Now throw in the clutch is the original one from 97, its old. You could have a main seal leaking oil on the clutch disc, and that will cause failure. Oil seals will dry out, and ive seen it happen with low mileage soobys. they like to be driven, they like lots of miles.

No matter what, the clutch has to come out. A hydraulic clutch is self adjusting. My gut feeling is that you have a leaking seal that has contaminated the disc.

nipper

One test drive around the block can tell us if it is a clutch or a hydraulic clutch issue. Unfortuately not open on Mondays, I will stop by the shop later and see if you left a message.

And a OEM Clutch Assembly, flywheel turn, labor and baffle plate/rear crank seal if neccessary is WAAAY under $800 at our shop.

Hi all

Maybe unreliable was abit strong. 3 weeks after i got it the front seals all just went at once, the factory alarm kept going off when i was driving and not allowing me to start the car for long periods of time. Now a clutch , In between it drove great and i loved it. It was just the idea of scraping up money for a clutch late last night that got me stressed, especially since i naively overpaid for the car. Richie fixed the oil leaks and replaced the timing belt for a very resonable price and has not been an issue since and the alarm is out.

Richie thanks alot thats great to hear., yea she's sitting right in your parking lot with the story.... which you have already read. I will call you from work tommorow.

this board is pretty addictive. i cant seem to go online and not check the new questions everytime. I learn alot, but my paranoia is running overtime.

Thank you all again

Jeremy

Welcome to the board. Once you get 'the bugs' fixed on the car hopefully things will settle down. Things like this are not out of the ordinary to happen with the milage you have on this. If the brakes haven't been replaced then they be next to need repair.

Hi all

Maybe unreliable was abit strong. 3 weeks after i got it the front seals all just went at once,

this board is pretty addictive. i cant seem to go online and not check the new questions everytime. I learn alot, but my paranoia is running overtime.

Thank you all again

Jeremy

You just answered your own question. Why wouldnt the rear seal be any differnt then the fornt seal. There is no reason. i bet the seal is shot and that caused clutch failure.

nipper