Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 lug swap completed.

Finally got my 5 lug stuff all done, now for some pics, enjoy.

IMG_0138.jpg

105_0536.jpg

105_0531.jpg

105_0533.jpg

action shot. heh.

105_0538.jpg

i have a couple questions though. i'm getting an alignment this weekend. when ever i steer hard either direction, the car will pull that direction until i turn hard the other direction, then it cancels out until the next time. i want to assume that is a problem with caster, am i right? also, upon turning the wheel lock to lock, there is a clunk in the midst of turning the wheel, a friend said thats a cv problem or a ball joint, is that true? last question, does anyone want to trade a set of rear 2wd xt6 gr2's for a set of 4wd wagon rear struts? never used, only taken out of the box once and i cant return them now. :( any input is great, thanks.

-Victor

Wow, looking great. Glad things worked out for you. As far as the clunking, it sounds like you may need some balljoints which are always a good thing to replace when doing this conversion. I myself put new ones into my RX when I installed my 5-lug. Also, you might want to check the CVs and the DOJs to make sure they are still in ok shape. If you get a lot of side to side movement in the joint rather then the in and out movement, you're gonna need new axles or rebuild the ones you have. Congrats!

my advice for those that want to do this conversion. use impreza front suspension parts, easier to come by, and more upgrades available, not to mention you dont have to grind down the XT6 front knuckles and drill out the holes for camber bolts. if i were to do it again, thats what i would do. but that looks awesome man, how do you load pictures that big into your posts? still trying to get my pics up.

~Josh~

my advice for those that want to do this conversion. use impreza front suspension parts, easier to come by, and more upgrades available, not to mention you dont have to grind down the XT6 front knuckles and drill out the holes for camber bolts. if i were to do it again, thats what i would do. but that looks awesome man, how do you load pictures that big into your posts? still trying to get my pics up.

~Josh~

I'm planning this swap soon on my 87 GL-10 Sedan, what Impreza stuff works?

use the impreza knuckles, front axles (if you have a 25 spline tranny, if not you'll have to make custom axles using your 23 spline tranny DOJ) and hub. i dont know about the balljoint stuff, you MIGHT be able to put XT6 ball joints into the impreza knuckle to be able to use the XT6 lower control arm. maybe im missing something here....what control arm do you use to mate up to the EA82 control arm mounts? maybe I should read the USRM....

~Josh~

you use the XT6 control arms but whenever doing this conversion, I highly recommend replacing the balljoints since you will be getting the parts for such a conversion usually from a junkyard. The balljoints go with what knuckle you are using. So Impreza balljoints with Impreza knuckles and same with XT6.

i used JDM WRX stuff in the front. (strut, knuckle, hub, ball joint, tie rod end, much larger rotor, dual pot caliper) but had to use the XT6 lower control arm. and XT6 stuff in the rear.

now i have to do a rear E-brake converson in the rear.

but it stops much better with the larger brakes.

-=Suberdave=-

it's true, that if you use GC8 impreza stuff up front, you lose front ebrake.....however....that doesn't mean you get it in back. the rear still uses XT6 stuff....

BUT.....rumor has it, that nissan 200SX rear calipers are a direct bolt-up, and have rear ebrake. then all you have to do is run the cable!

you can use impreza calipers and rotors right? so does that mean you can use the rear wheel e-brake out of an impreza?
To answer your question, no you can not use the Impreza rear brake setup. The 200SX is not a direct bolt up, but from what I hear, it is close.

So let me get this right :

You can use Impreza Front Knuckles, Rotors, Pads, Calipers, Suspension up to 2001 in the front, but you loose the front e-brake setup

Then you can use Rear XT6 Kuckles, Rotors, Suspension, Keep ur stock calipers, but no e-brake.

So no e-brake with the impreza stuff up front.

Hrmm I need an E-brake cause mine is a manual trans. What kind of suspension upgrades are avail for the XT6? I do want to upgrade the suspension a little bit, since I have air ride and too much power now for the stock suspension setup. I dont want race suspension but I would like it to be a bit stiffer than stock.

So let me get this right :

You can use Impreza Front Knuckles, Rotors, Pads, Calipers, Suspension up to 2001 in the front, but you loose the front e-brake setup

Then you can use Rear XT6 Kuckles, Rotors, Suspension, Keep ur stock calipers, but no e-brake.

So no e-brake with the impreza stuff up front.

Hrmm I need an E-brake cause mine is a manual trans. What kind of suspension upgrades are avail for the XT6? I do want to upgrade the suspension a little bit, since I have air ride and too much power now for the stock suspension setup. I dont want race suspension but I would like it to be a bit stiffer than stock.

As Dr. RX said in a previous post, you CAN get a rear ebrake but you need to get calipers off of a 200SX but I am unsure of the year(s). Search for a rear ebrake, I know a few people have spent the time and done it. Also, look for coilovers for a '93-'01 Impreza and they should fit but I'm not 100% sure.

nope, XT6 front calipers have the ebrake

impreza ones don't

soooo, if you don't want to work out a rear ebrake solution (there are a couple, do a search), just use XT6 stuff. if you don't mind working out the ebrake stuff, you can get much better brakes using impreza stuff...