Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81T, hissing noise from fuel system

New problem: after draining/replacing most of the fuel system from the fuel filter forward, I am getting an air leak/hissing noise from the metallic canister thingy on the fuel lines bolted to the intake.

What NOW?

That would be the fuel filter.If I was you,I`d take it off to see how plugged it is.Probably mucho.

Or if you mean the thing in the middle,that is the pressure reg.Take the hose off the bottom and see if the diaphram is

ruptured.

No, thats the fuel dampner. Its attached to the fuel rail. Sounds like theres air getting in the line somehow. You will have to check the connections from the fuel pump forward and make sure they are all tight.

Or, let me ask this. Is the canister located right at the firewall next to the wiper motor? Then it would be the fuel filter. But then there still might be air in the system.

No, thats the fuel dampner. Its attached to the fuel rail. Sounds like theres air getting in the line somehow. You will have to check the connections from the fuel pump forward and make sure they are all tight.

Or, let me ask this. Is the canister located right at the firewall next to the wiper motor? Then it would be the fuel filter. But then there still might be air in the system.

No, I replaced the fuel filter. It's the small brass (?) thingy just in front of the throttle body.

:banghead:

It's probably the fuel lines to/from the filter then, I couldn't get them to come off so I had to cut them off. I got them partway back on, but there's a point at which I simply cannot generate enough force to move the lines farther onto the tubing.

Note to self... rip out EA81T and put in EA71 sitting in freebie.

No, I replaced the fuel filter. It's the small brass (?) thingy just in front of the throttle body.

That isn't the fuel filter. The filter is behind the driver's side strut tower, near the windsheild wiper motor, like Turbone mentioned.

Note to self... rip out EA81T and put in EA71 sitting in freebie.

If you do end up doing that, keep me in mind for the turbo motor! A spare couldn't hurt!

That isn't the fuel filter. The filter is behind the driver's side strut tower, near the windsheild wiper motor, like Turbone mentioned.

I know that. Like I said, I replaced the fuel filter. If it was not clear from my post, I apologize. the part that is making the hissing noise is the small brass canister attached to the front of the fuel rail.

After looking at a Haynes manual for EA82T's (I don't have the correct one because my Brother In Law borrowed it and never returned it), the part I am looking at IS called the pressure regulator

Now... if I depressurized the fuel system during all the work I did, and drained the fuel from the fuel rail and all of the fuel lines forward of the firewall (including the inlet hose to the fuel filter), would that not mean that it would be NORMAL to expect there to be air immediately after this?

If so, will cycling the fuel pump fill and pressurize the system?

If so, how long would it take to do so?

Edit: If it helps, I pulled the output line from the fuel filter and the line is full, so there is fuel at least up through that point.

Now... if I depressurized the fuel system during all the work I did, and drained the fuel from the fuel rail and all of the fuel lines forward of the firewall (including the inlet hose to the fuel filter), would that not mean that it would be NORMAL to expect there to be air immediately after this?

YES

If so, will cycling the fuel pump fill and pressurize the system?

YES

If so, how long would it take to do so?

Maybe 3-4 cycles.

Or if you mean the thing in the middle,that is the pressure reg.Take the hose off the bottom and see if the diaphram is ruptured.

Check the hose connections on the suction side of the pump too.

Maybe 3-4 cycles.

Or if you mean the thing in the middle,that is the pressure reg.Take the hose off the bottom and see if the diaphram is ruptured.

Check the hose connections on the suction side of the pump too.

OK... is the diaphram inside the regulator itself? If so, how exactly am I supposed to look at it? and what am I supposed to be looking for?

And the suction side of the pump is what, the top?

OK... is the diaphram inside the regulator itself? If so, how exactly am I supposed to look at it? and what am I supposed to be looking for?

And the suction side of the pump is what, the top?

Yes,See if it holds vacuum.Make sure there is no fuel in the vacuum line.

Suction side is the line to the tank.Might be sucking a little air through a poor connection.

Note that fuel flows through the reg all the time,so a little noise is probably normal.

Excuse me for posting the wrong name of the part :rolleyes:

It is the fuel regulator. I dont know how you would see if the diaphram is bad, its a sealed unit. I would just crank the engine over for about 5sec, give it rest and repeat a few times. This should purge the lines of air.

Excuse me for posting the wrong name of the part :rolleyes:

It is the fuel regulator. I dont know how you would see if the diaphram is bad, its a sealed unit. I would just crank the engine over for about 5sec, give it rest and repeat a few times. This should purge the lines of air.

Hey, at least you were in the general vicinity. I couldn't do better than "that canister thingy" without looking it up. :P

No dice there... does exactly the same thing the car did BEFORE replacing all the fuel junk, but now the regulator is a LOT noisier.

More info:

I've so far been unable to twist my hand to a degree necessary to disconnect the line from the bottom of the fuel pressure regulator and check for vacuum.

However, a couple other things I've checked:

Plugs: Pulled #3 plug after turning car over twice for 5 seconds each time, to check for fuel on the plug. It is difficult to tell if there is or not. I occasionally got a slight whiff of it, though that could have been my right hand, which was wearing a glove that still had some fuel vapor left on it. (I was holding the plug with my clean left hand). The plug is D-I-R-T-Y... Looked like sludge/oil on it, the same crap that was on all of the plugs in Freebiemobile when I changed them.

Spark: Yes, with brand new NGK plug off of wire #3. Unknown off of installed plug, the battery died before I could test it (currently trickle-charging).

(The above two tests were suggested by Mike @ Smart Service)

Any more ideas?

OK... new update, really tearing my hair out here...

Changed all plugs. 1 was badly fouled, 3 were badly worn.

Spark should be good in all cylinders.

Also, I know fuel is getting to the cylinders because this time there was the unmistakable smell of fuel on all 4 plugs when I pulled them out.

why won't it fire up? ARRRRGH!

The rubber lines get brittle and crack, especially at the ends. Go check all of them... especially ones that connect directly to the manifold.

That's a lot of lines. :)

Though now that you mention it, I have a DUH moment... something I should have thought of before.

On the firewall side of the throttle body, just behind where the air intake tube joins the throttle body, there are 3 small lines, possibly vacuum (I don't know how to tell what is what). If I remember, the line on the center one separated. Does anyone know what these 3 lines are?

That's a lot of lines. :)

Though now that you mention it, I have a DUH moment... something I should have thought of before.

On the firewall side of the throttle body, just behind where the air intake tube joins the throttle body, there are 3 small lines, possibly vacuum (I don't know how to tell what is what). If I remember, the line on the center one separated. Does anyone know what these 3 lines are?

From what i remember on putting ine together the other day:

The one nearest the right (1-3) side goes to a hard line which goes to the vacuum advance and possibly the charcoal canister as well.

The middle one tees, on end goes to a hard line then to the egr solenoid, the other goes to the egr valve - if you still have egr. otherwise, it gets plugged.

the one on the left does nothing, and goes nowhere, and does not get plugged.

From what i remember on putting ine together the other day:

The one nearest the right (1-3) side goes to a hard line which goes to the vacuum advance and possibly the charcoal canister as well.

The middle one tees, on end goes to a hard line then to the egr solenoid, the other goes to the egr valve - if you still have egr. otherwise, it gets plugged.

the one on the left does nothing, and goes nowhere, and does not get plugged.

I remember seeing the T on the line, so it must be the EGR line.

Critical, I assume?