Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.2 in justy

juSTI

i have two donor cars with 2.2's in em. i know it requires a lot of welding and fab work. but like what? sub frames? frame renforcment? and mother of all thing electrical how bad that gonna be? would love to do this so as much input as avail. i work at a subie dealer so parts are readily avail. too!

Well - the problem you have is a Justy is transverse, and the 2.2 is not. So unless you are prepared to drop in the 2.2 transmission, modify the entire frame and body to fit it, and then hooptie the suspension from the 2.2 and narrow it down to fit inside the width of the justy body you are stuck. Basically it's far too much work for anyone to really consider it.... guy over on the old-gen board was doing something along these lines building a custom rally racer, but I think he's been working on it for a couple years now and it still don't move.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but the amount of work involved would be tremendous, and the frankenstien creation that it would become is scary to think about.

Ok - so I saw the videos of the WRX Justy... that's insane. But hey - go for it. Get a welder and a plasma cutter to start with. And expect to drop some coin on custom axles and stuff.

GD

We're working on one now.

We had 2 engine options- the WRX's 2.0T or the SVX's 3.3L.

We considered 2 layouts- front engine AWD or mid engine RWD.

The 4 banger can THEORETICALLY fit up front, but the radiator will not be able to be in front of the motor, and the axles will still be angled more to the rear than their natural position. Fender flares would have to be made to increase the track width. Frame rails would have to be widened. Finished car would be very front-heavy. Forget the H-6.

We decided on the mid engine RWD layout. There is SIGNIFICANTLY more space to work with. We are using the 3.3L motor with a FWD tranny driving the rear wheels, and hope to twin turbo-charge it.

There is more space, the 3.3's engine management and wiring is easier, the exhaust is easier, the driveline is easier, final car will be better balanced. Of course, the RWD subie suspension components are a bit of a challenge!

The front motor is possible, but a lot more work. Good Luck!!

• 3 weeks later...

Good god what kind of sadistic creature from hell will that be when you get it running??

putting a modified 6 cylinder engine that came stock as 227HP into a car that came with a 73 hp 3 cyl.... hmm... Thats gonna be like putting a drag boat engine on a ride-on mower... :headbang::burnout:

Might I recommend putting about 200 lbs of sand bags in the front where the engine used to be, or get some nice wheelie bars for it.. goin down the track you WILL be counting the stars.

in short... I LIKE IT!!!!!!

-Mike

We're working on one now.

We had 2 engine options- the WRX's 2.0T or the SVX's 3.3L.

We considered 2 layouts- front engine AWD or mid engine RWD.

The 4 banger can THEORETICALLY fit up front, but the radiator will not be able to be in front of the motor, and the axles will still be angled more to the rear than their natural position. Fender flares would have to be made to increase the track width. Frame rails would have to be widened. Finished car would be very front-heavy. Forget the H-6.

We decided on the mid engine RWD layout. There is SIGNIFICANTLY more space to work with. We are using the 3.3L motor with a FWD tranny driving the rear wheels, and hope to twin turbo-charge it.

There is more space, the 3.3's engine management and wiring is easier, the exhaust is easier, the driveline is easier, final car will be better balanced. Of course, the RWD subie suspension components are a bit of a challenge!

The front motor is possible, but a lot more work. Good Luck!!

Geeze!! do you really need ALL that room up front for a full-sized spare?:rolleyes: I mean, how big can a 12" tire be! :eek: j/k lol!! All I can say is, Your My Hero! and I wana see Pics :slobber: :slobber: :slobber::banana: :banana: :banana::burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

• 3 weeks later...
Good god what kind of sadistic creature from hell will that be when you get it running??

in short... I LIKE IT!!!!!!

-Mike

:D:D:D

I'm hoping the mid engine layout will help keep the front wheels down. If not, maybe I'll put on independent rear hand brakes on so I can brake steer it!:eek:

When I finish that project I'll be starting another- just picked up a 360 shell!! That should make the Justy look enormous!!:D:D

:D:D:D

I'm hoping the mid engine layout will help keep the front wheels down. If not, maybe I'll put on independent rear hand brakes on so I can brake steer it!:eek:

Man, i'm thinking Justy "Funny Car" lol. I know for a fact a Justy handles very well at 100 m.p.h.. I'm talking about a 5 speed, two door hatch. Tub or mini tub the wheel wells, don't forget good brakes :). Do all you can to keep the weight and the center of gravity down. Send pics of burnouts. lol

• 2 weeks later...

I want to put something like a ford 2.3turbo and T5 in a justy as RWD.

or maybe a rear mounted bike engine with a turbo. either seem pretty easy to do, unlike ej drivetrains. not too many sub 2000lb, rwd, IRS hatchbacks running around.

or, 2 bike engines set up to drive both ends. 1 diff in front, one in rear, 2 engines in the trunk.

what is the final drive ratio on the justy, how strong is the diff, and can an R160 bolt in?

I remember the Canadian 2.0t powered justy, even had the rad up front, but they had to basicly eliminate the front bumber bar. might be problematic for inspections. that thing was sick, it outpulled a WRX from hwy speeds with 4 passengers. same guy has a Chevy cavalier with a GM supercharged 3800 V6(same as in the Buick Regals).

The justys rear diff is smaller than an r160, but an r160 could be made to fit. Im pretty sure the axle splines on the later model justy are the same as an r160, as is the drive flange. Gear ratios I'm not too sure on, though my 88 4wd 5spd justy definitely had a different rear diff ratio than a 94 ECVT 4wd.

did it feel like it was a pretty high ratio, or could you tell?

regarding the R160 fitting the justy axle splines, would they be close to the correct length to fit the R160 in between?

so the early justy(boxy looking one) has a different rear diff and axles?

did it feel like it was a pretty high ratio, or could you tell?

regarding the R160 fitting the justy axle splines, would they be close to the correct length to fit the R160 in between?

so the early justy(boxy looking one) has a different rear diff and axles?

The justy diff is very similiar to the r160, just with a smaller ring gear (probably 130 or 140mm vs. 160mm) and a shorter pinion. The early justys used a weird spline size, whereas the newer ones are identical to the ea81 and ea82 subaru r160. Im pretty sure of that anyways. You could put a later justy inner doj on an early justy axle to get the right splines for a later justy or r160 diff. The diff ratio felt to be around 4:1 so maybe 3.7, 3.9, or 4.11 but my guesses are flawed because I thought 2 diffs had the same ratio when they clearly did not.

• 2 weeks later...
I remember the Canadian 2.0t powered justy, even had the rad up front, but they had to basicly eliminate the front bumber bar. might be problematic for inspections. that thing was sick, it outpulled a WRX from hwy speeds with 4 passengers. same guy has a Chevy cavalier with a GM supercharged 3800 V6(same as in the Buick Regals).

They probably cut the firewall and moved the motor back, ending up with something crazy for the front axles in addition to the custom firewall. If you attempt to keep the drive axle outputs on the tranny anywhere near the same relation to the wheel centers, the rad will not fit.

Perhaps a 2 piece axle with an extra set of u-joints in the middle would do the trick, but that is pretty far beyond my fab abilities.