Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subie Virgin in need of some help!!

Ok this is probably going to sound dumb to you Subie owners....I have never owned a Subaru before and when I could no longer take the rappage of gas money from my 86' Dodge pickup 3-4inch lift on 35's any longer as a commuter I looked for a fuel efficiant car. My mothers friend gave me a free car which in the short 3 days of it sitting at my uncles auto shop in a podunk town not knowing anything about subarus I grew to love this lil 83' Subaru GL 4WD A/T non-Turbo. She is such a champ she has been trying to survive for so long but she has a terrible KNOCKING and my uncle/my michanic said I need a new motor. For a free car not half bad. There is the history and here is my question... I need to know how to go about getting a subaru motor. I have explored the option of getting the same 83' motor from a wrecking yard which I have found 4 nearby which is great but I need to know if thats the best way to go. I have also heard that I can put other motors in different cars, is this true? If so what kind of motors can I put in Rosey the Rivitter? Last but not least, is there a such a place where I can get a brand new motor for my lil Rosey? Your opinions, advise, direction, and time are greatly appreciated. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!

Welcome to the nuthouse:grin: We are all a little crazy about our cars.

As for engines, you can use a 83 or 84. Anything prior to that from 1980 can be used but the emission setups are different. They should be in your local wrekcing yards, and if you are on the east coast there should be some with low miles, seeing how everything rusts out before the engine dies. There might be some members here that can provide with one or a place to get one too.

Again, welcome to the Board:headbang:

Welcome! Try A-1 Burlington Auto Parts in Shirley, Mass... not too terribly far from you. I got an engine (49K) and a tranny (59K) for my EA-71 from them. They have a great warranty and their prices are very reasonable. The parts have been pulled and most have been tested. Another place is Borges... they are a bit of a haul for you, but reputable.

I agree with Turbone, and would go with a J/Y engine because the cars did rust out LONG before the engines/trannies even got broken in. Salt... I hate it.

We're expecting a blizzard after midnight and they dumped about a ton of salt on my street 3 hours before the first flake has even fallen? What's up with that?

I saw the word virgin and almost tripped over the chair trying to get to the keyboard before anyone else... :lol:

Just kidding. But since you're looking into new engine territory, I have to give a shameless plug to CCR..

http://www.ccrengines.com

They have done a lot of business with members of the board (not me yet, thank God).. and there have been nothing but praises (that I've seen) from their clients.

Cheers... :D

Try and get the long block from the JY. Take the coolant hoses off of your engine, drain the oil, take the radiator out. It gives room to work. Take off the intake manifold, leaving the carb on and flip it into where the spare tire goes. Do the same with the power steering pump and the A/c if either are equipped. Disconnect whatever wires are left over. Take out all 4 tranny bolts and the two engine mount nuts. Remove exhaust headers off of engine and let hang. Then get some strong buddies or an engine lift and pull the engine off the tranny. Do the reverse and fill fluids. start and go.

People who have practice can do it in less than 2 hours. It took me a day with an EJ22, which is fuel injected, the first time.

S+R in branford CT could help you out. They have a complete EA81 for your car. Not sure what they want for it though. If i were you i would go jy motor as well and stick with what came in your car originally. They may be gutless but they run forever if you keep up on mantenence. Good luck and nice find. I love EA81 subys.

Thank you everyone for welcoming me. Its great to be amongest people who appreciate Subaru's. Thanks you for all your information I think that pretty much takes care of my questions. I will keep everyone updated on how things work out. Im hoping by next weekend Ill have Rosey up and running. Oh if you want to see some pictures of her this is my website...Youll more then likly have to join to see them but its free so you dont have to use it but its a great way to meet Subie fans... http://www.myspace.com/7462881 Please check Rosey out and if you do get an acount to look at her leave her comment. We would both greatly appreciate it. Thanks again everyone *MUAH* you guys are wonderful. Thanks for the help!! :clap: :clap:

Just checked her public profile...she is in Rochester WA - soooo, maybe one or two of you guys out there could take a little trip down and see just what the problem is with her Rosey....may not need a new motor, just take care of neglected maintenance and she can be on the road. Gotta be somebody out there that is willing to lend a hand to a new Subie owner! ( I would, but thats about a 2000 mi trip for me :P)

That would be great...from what I have been hearing from everyone from my other post... (because I have no idea whats wrong and I dont know if its a new motor) my best bet is to get a parts car and just replace random stuff on my Rosey.... Am I wront to think I need a second opinion on weather my problem is the motor because to me "if its the motor why is it running just fine besides the noise"??? Am I wront to think its not a motor problem? :confused:

I too, am a subaru wannabee do-it-yourself(er). If you're frothing at the bit to learn about your subaru go your local library and get your hands on the subaru bible, How To Keep Your Subaru Alive (by Larry Owens). Go to the Troubleshooting chapter and learn which knock may be yours. You may find out you don't need to replace your engine, hopefully. Good luck and congratulations, you are now a proud owner of one of the most efficient cars on earth!

ok, Rosey and boozen - you can both get a copy of "How to keep your Subaru alive" in .pdf format for your very own - all you need is Adobe acrobat reader (can get that for free as well) to view it.

check this thread for the pdf file:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51452&highlight=how+to+keep+subaru+alive

and if you dont have it you can get the reader here:

http://www.download.com/3000-2378-10000062.html

Enjoy