Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Exhaust "Leak" With believable Pics (56K LOOKOUT!!)

Yeah chances are your exhaust has been on and off too many times and the threads for the studs got stipped. I had the same problem happen to me. I just taped some new threads and put a bolt in to quiet it down for a bit but then the gasket blew completly and i ended up getting it fixed the right way (aka helicoiled). Good luck with it.

a side note, but does anyone know if theres a difference between gen 1, 2, and 3 disty's?? they're interchangable right?

there are no 'gen 1,2 and 3 distys'

For the EA82T, there is 85-86 and 87+

In the 87+ line, you may find some that have a different plug than others. The pigtail is easily removed and swapped. Disty is the same

I have even used an SPFI disty in my wagon

if the threads seem intact enough to hold torque, use some loc-tite red to hold them in place

i tile to use hi temp copper silicone rtv on both sides of the gasket.

i have also tried the "gasket sandwich" with silicone when inventing ways to keep the exhaust. on.

sure enough when you get the y pipe to stay on the heads the rest of the exhaust will fall apart!:lol:

I read p. 1 then skipped to "reply"

quit your bellyachin and remove the exhaust manifold, clean up the ports, install new studs, gaskets and nuts

my rx currently has no studs in the heads :-p

haha yeah yeah i know.. stupid school and.... life.. gettin in the way of me and my soob.

i gotta go get some studs.. lol

i gotta go get some studs.. lol

the parts stores i go to won't have a "direct match" and won't be able to look up what studs you need. but if you take in an old stud, they will have one that is nearly and identical match. the ones i always buy are nearly the same, but only work if installed one way. they have a small midsection where there are no threads, so you have to install the stud such that the "unthreaded" portion is buried in the heads/header so that you can torque the nut all the way to the head. in other words, install the "short" threaded side up into the head. that's alot of words, but it's really simple. just take in an old one to match up what you need.