Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I knew I smelled horse************...

Seriously, CV grease smells like horse************ to me...

Anyway, I'll let pictures give a clue as to my issue:

000_0639.thumb.jpg000_0638.thumb.jpg

000_0641.thumb.jpg000_0648.thumb.jpg

And why is this happening?

000_0649.thumb.jpg

The straps on THREE different boots have come loose. I have axle grease leaking from THREE different places on BOTH front axles, the inner boot on the driver's and BOTH boots on the passenger's.

Both front axles are from www.cvaxles.com and the driver's side one isn't even 8k miles old yet.

And the driver's side one was replaced about 2 years ago because it also was leaking grease, although much more quickly.

I'm gonna price out Subaru OEM reman axles with my discount tomorrow. I'm actually thinking they'll be close to the $55 price for these. Yes I have lifetime warranty on these axles, but if I have to keep going through this, it's just not worth it.

Sorry guys, you lost a customer, one who has talked you up on online discussion boards for years.

Subaru remand axles were supplied by ARI. ARI has went out of business. You will be able to get remand axles from the dealer till they run out, then it is new till they find another supplier. The local dealer here said $300-$400 for new. And remans from the dealer are not going to be in the $55 range.

Napa has a line of new (not remaned) axles, lifetime warranty, probably your best bet at this time.

On a side note, I see the rebuilder that did the axle in the picture got lazy and didn't put the dust sheilds on. ARI got like that right before going under.

I went with Napa axles...they were 1 inch SHORTER (measured lying flat on ground) than stock axles...which resulted in a blown axle upon a tight turn. They also seem to be built with greater tolerances in the axle teeth, which resulted in a slight grumbling vibration when at a stop, in drive (auto trans.), with the brakes on. I brought mine back to NAPA and installed Subaru remanufactured. Now when I drive (less my arm and leg for the axles) it drives smooth, no probs.

Hope this helps.

go to the CCR site. They are teamed up with an Axle Reman company. Emily can help www.CCRengines.com

Moderator edit: CCR is not associated with this company. The axle company is a friend that works next door to CCR and specializes only in Subaru axles. His website is here:

http://www.ccrengines.com/mwe/index.html

He will have his own URL soon.

I just got back from the shop that put my reman CV axles in two months ago, been hearing a knocking from the drivers side outer. Turns out the portion that is threaded in on the front diff around the race was not tightened properly, as evidenced by the large amount of play in the axles when moved up and down. The guy tightened them up, and hopefully things are ok now.

Sorry to hear that--they had such a good reputation. Have you talked to them directly about the problem?

I'm not going to bother. I don't care how many free axles I get with the lifetime warranty, I don't want to replace anymore :mad:

And remans from the dealer are not going to be in the $55 range.

You're exactly right. With my discount, one reman OEM axle would cost about $160 :eek:

go to the CCR site. They are teamed up with an Axle Reman company. Emily can help www.CCRengines.com

Napa has a line of new (not remaned) axles, lifetime warranty, probably your best bet at this time.

Very cool, thanks for the info!

I had been using ARI axles for years with very few come backs. But started to get vehicle in that other places had installed ARI axles and they were making noise. Finally was told that ARI had expanded and had other places making axles for them, and the quality was going to hell. Then started getting axle that would start leaking at the small clamp within 5k miles cuz they put them on too tight. Now I am using BRAND NEW Empi axles, been selling them to customers for $110, how does that compare to Napa? I figure it is a fair price since they list for $359

Nicest thing is no core charge.

I had been using ARI axles for years with very few come backs. But started to get vehicle in that other places had installed ARI axles and they were making noise. Finally was told that ARI had expanded and had other places making axles for them, and the quality was going to hell. Then started getting axle that would start leaking at the small clamp within 5k miles cuz they put them on too tight. Now I am using BRAND NEW Empi axles, been selling them to customers for $110, how does that compare to Napa? I figure it is a fair price since they list for $359

Nicest thing is no core charge.

Well I'm not sure how that would compair to the Napa new axles without knowing what your cost and markup is. I think Napa is selling to the public at $80, but I buy 10-15 at a time and get a sizeable discount.

NAPA online says brand-new axles are $100 to the public, my price is $68.

Someone suggested to me also to tighten my straps, or reboot them, but I'd rather not mess with it. With the possibility of the joint already low on grease and maybe already being damaged, it's not worth my time.

I bought Cardone new for $79 in Burlington VT. Don't have many miles on it yet, but went on with few problems. (that's in another thread)

They had remans too, $5 less, but said they will only get new ones in the future...

any experience with this company?

thx

My cost is above $80, but they are EMPI axles (EMPI is the company that makes boots for lots of car manufacturers) they might even be OEM on VW and stuff but not sure. Though I have just started using them I am pretty confident in there quality, but time will tell.

Might have to call up my supplier though and find out what kind of quantity discount I can get so I can get my price on them down, also see if Napa is $100 or $80.

Interesting. EMPI is carried by our friends at BowWow in Lynnwood. I'll have to call Chris and see what axles cost through him.

My cost is above $80, but they are EMPI axles (EMPI is the company that makes boots for lots of car manufacturers) they might even be OEM on VW and stuff but not sure. Though I have just started using them I am pretty confident in there quality, but time will tell.

Might have to call up my supplier though and find out what kind of quantity discount I can get so I can get my price on them down, also see if Napa is $100 or $80.

Picked up 2 new axles from Napa for $68 apiece. They're new, so no core charge.

They come with the nuts on the end of them, but I'll probably use SOA ones since they're easily available to me.

That's no more money than cvaxles' remans with them shipped to me, and then shipping the cores back (although I realize I got a discount :D)...