Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tire sizes for 4x4 Loyale?

We have a 1994 4x4 Loyale wagon with 165/80R13 on it. Does anyone know if 185/70R70 would have a problem fitting? They have approximately the same rolling circumference. (http://www.powerdog.com/tiresize.cgi) It is the width I am worried about.

For some reason the 4x4 have taller, narrower tires. Any one know the reason?

165SR13 was the stock size on the wagons. It was replaced by 165/80 R 13. This tire size is getting very hard to find in Canada. Most manufacturers do not make them. 185/70 is also getting hard to find. 175/70 is commoner, but it looks rinky dink in the wheel well, as it is 1" smaller in diameter, which also upsets the speedometer noticeably.

This sucks.

It may be an idea to get some 14" Peugeot wheels, just to get a decent selection of tires, but 14" tires cost more. (I am a real cheap bustard, you bet!)

4x4's run high aspect ratio tires to keep the wheels away from rocks etc. on the road. High aspect ratio tires also have a better load rating than low, so a tall narrow (cheap) tire can carry more than a low wide (more expensive) one. This is probably why tall narrow tires are found on 4x4's: cost and ground clearance.

165SR13 was the stock size on the wagons. It was replaced by 165/80 R 13. This tire size is getting very hard to find in Canada. Most manufacturers do not make them. 185/70 is also getting hard to find. 175/70 is commoner, but it looks rinky dink in the wheel well, as it is 1" smaller in diameter, which also upsets the speedometer noticeably.

This sucks.

It may be an idea to get some 14" Peugeot wheels, just to get a decent selection of tires, but 14" tires cost more. (I am a real cheap bustard, you bet!)

4x4's run high aspect ratio tires to keep the wheels away from rocks etc. on the road. High aspect ratio tires also have a better load rating than low, so a tall narrow (cheap) tire can carry more than a low wide (more expensive) one. This is probably why tall narrow tires are found on 4x4's: cost and ground clearance.

This sucks.

Kumho (www.kumhousa.com) makes a nice and inexpensive tire, called the Touring A/S I think, in 185/80x13. Might want to check it out. That's what I'm putting on my newly-purchased 13" alloys. I think that tire also comes in 185/70x13.

Problem is, 185/80 won't fit in the spare tire holder. And it is way taller, so the speedo is way out. A good bet for minor offroading, as it improves ground clearance. Not the greatest for what I want, which is the cheapest highway vehicle I can get, with decent logging road capability for the odd weekend.

I will have a look for the Kumhos. They seem to make a pretty decent tire. The 185/70 Hankooks I have on are just about shot, at less than 20,000 miles!

i generally see 185/70 and 175/70 as stock sizes on older soobs,especially 4wd

as far as the tire is concerned, it will fit on the rim no problem and be proper for the car.

just be sure all of your tires are the same size!!

a 185/70 will fit under the hood

Problem is, 185/80 won't fit in the spare tire holder. And it is way taller, so the speedo is way out. A good bet for minor offroading, as it improves ground clearance. Not the greatest for what I want, which is the cheapest highway vehicle I can get, with decent logging road capability for the odd weekend.

I will have a look for the Kumhos. They seem to make a pretty decent tire. The 185/70 Hankooks I have on are just about shot, at less than 20,000 miles!

not to poop on you're popsicle, but this is creativefilmcar's question. the speedo isnt going to be that far off. only like a couple miles per hour.

IE when you're speedo reads 50, you are really going 53.2. My car came stock with 185/70/13. thats what it says on the door cill, in my owners manual, and in my chiltons. my advice, go for the 185/70/13's, they will fit for shure no worrys at all. (and about the spare tire spot, thats what a roof rack is for :banana::grin: )

• 8 months later...

I am useing 185/80/13 on my '86 4x4 with plenty of clearance to spare...

We have a 1994 4x4 Loyale wagon with 165/80R13 on it. Does anyone know if 185/70R70 would have a problem fitting? They have approximately the same rolling circumference. (http://www.powerdog.com/tiresize.cgi) It is the width I am worried about.

For some reason the 4x4 have taller, narrower tires. Any one know the reason?

Those of us that do offroading in the snow, we must remember we need extra wheel well clearance for tire chains.