Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brocken axles

Scott in Bellingham

I've broken a bunch because of getting the iron ore-filled mud in broken boots.

a few more to sandy mud

the ones from the lift were because of axle angle, but don't stop reading there. The origional AA high-clearance lift had rear adjustability for up to another inch of lift. I had that cranked in, with just the 1" blocks under the mustache bar, and the front adjustables cranked up to match. I had a couple fail on-road due to the angles, adjusted down, haven't broken any for 5k+.

the 2 that 'broke' offroading due to angles where both with the same setup as above, I flexed it out on a rock, lifted the right rear tire, kept on the go pedal, and rolled BACKWARDS back onto the ground with that tire spinning FORWARDS.......needless to say the NAPA reman'd axle blew to pieces, and the Junkyard OEM one just fell apart, I reassembled it in the campground and am still using it today.

now with your 2" diff shim, I cranked the rear end back up, and am running a healthy 5" of lift, with no axle problems

does that answer your question? :-p

I was sitting at a red light, waiting to turn left. Next to me, to the right, was a Corvette waiting to turn as well. I figured i'd beat him off the line and then i can tell everyone "ha ha, i smoked a Corvette in my 1983 Subaru Wagon".

Well, i already had the steering wheel cranked to the left, and I dumped the clutch at 3 grand.... needless to say, the corvette smoked me.

-Brian

I've only snapped the actual axle shaft once. I passed a buddy of mine, locked em up, and while I was still sliding forward, I dumped the clutch in reverse at 4 grand. WHHAP, felt something hit the floorboards. Jumped out and looked and I broke the axle about 2 inches from the outer DOJ.

All the other axle failures I've had were stripping the DOJ out after driving with blown boots for 6 months.

I have yet to break an axle with my lift on. 3 boots are torn, have been all winter and they still arent making noise. Blown and bent rear struts prolly have something to do with a lowered axle angle.. heh, I should change those

I've only snapped the actual axle shaft once. I passed a buddy of mine, locked em up, and while I was still sliding forward, I dumped the clutch in reverse at 4 grand. WHHAP, felt something hit the floorboards. Jumped out and looked and I broke the axle about 2 inches from the outer DOJ.

And this suprised you?:grin:

oh, sorry.....this was all in my blue '88 wagon

I should also add that I've never broken the actual axle. they've all been joint failures. The rear ones where both inner DOJ failure. The fronts have been almost always CVs, but I had a DOJ fail on the freeway in the middle of nowhere northern MN. Had to pound the CV apart in our campground

NAPA reman'd rear axle + too much angle + way too much go pedal =

3242PICT0662.JPG

3242PICT0659.JPG

grenaded a few passenger and drivers cv's in my '87 ea82T with a 3.90 d/r, my first lifetime axle from autozone wasn't built right, it died at 90mph on I-5 near Salem OR, damn near took me off the road. In fwd if you hop the inside tire a bunch on pavement the cv's tend to blow chunks, one rear axle (outer joint) in same car blew b/c I learned to drive in 4wd to save front axles... '90 Legacy both front axles died from torn boots/lack of grease, '91 legacy blew a rear axle due to rear lsd and massive torque bind in tired 4eat, '79 EJ22 brat, rear axles die every few months due to welded rear and high traction situations... most of my problems are driver related, with the rear axles in the brat I'm changing over to ea82 inner and outer joints to keep from hyperextending.

Well I have a lifted 92 loyale wagon and i have grenaded 2 axles so far, oh and the diff too! :grin:

First one was a tight ravine area and got it stuck, In the natural event of getting it unstuck. High rpm's, 27" bfg a/t, and suddenly getting traction did not help the right front axle and it blew apart. Rear end was the same story, high rpms, sudden traction, spider gears blew up.

Second axle i was testing the newly welded diff. and was too lazy to remove the axle so driving back on pavement it popped and that was that. The eventual plan is to have 6 or so lifetime axles and never buy axles again after that :lol:

That reminds me of the time a friend of mine lost his brakes in a Bronco coming down the ski hill. Reverse and park saved his hide, and the car didn't need any transmission work until quite a few months later... lol.

man what is it with fords and loosing brakes?

its happened to me twice when i was driving a ford. once yes in a bronco the other time in a f350 dualie.

Well I have a lifted 92 loyale wagon and i have grenaded 2 axles so far, oh and the diff too! :grin:

First one was a tight ravine area and got it stuck, In the natural event of getting it unstuck. High rpm's, 27" bfg a/t, and suddenly getting traction did not help the right front axle and it blew apart. Rear end was the same story, high rpms, sudden traction, spider gears blew up.

Second axle i was testing the newly welded diff. and was too lazy to remove the axle so driving back on pavement it popped and that was that. The eventual plan is to have 6 or so lifetime axles and never buy axles again after that :lol:

wow how long have you got it down to changing them?

I just bought an 83 gl wagon, I brought it home and on the way home down in the Nisqually valley there is an area near the river so my friend and I went into the trails and swampy areas. he is in a 05 jeep wrangler and im in my 22 year old wagon, and he got stuck, we used his wench and got out. On the drive home I lost power and hear metel spinning. I pull off to the side and relized that I broke an axle. So I popped it into 4wd and got it home. Took 2 hours to replace it. So I owned the car for less than 2 hours and I broke it:headbang: :headbang:

BTW 214,000 miles everything but the engine is OEM. The engine was swapped out with an EA81 that has hydro lifters about 7 months ago.

I am looking forward to getting a lift in a month or so and really show up my buddy's jeep :headbang: :headbang:

wow how long have you got it down to changing them?

Not on here as often as i want so replys are scarce :rolleyes:

but anyways it depends on the axle

left front is easier then the right front

right rear is easier the left rear

I built a slide hammer for the front axles and it cuts down the time considerabley

I also use cotterpins. basicaly i can do an axle change in 15min to 45min depending on which one it is.

Oh and my right front is clicking when i turn so it's on it's way out. :lol:

Carquest axles suck BTW :rolleyes:

I have owned my '80 1600 GL wagon(origionally single range 4 spd, swapped to dual range with JDM EA81 type bellhousing that came with low mileage import EA71) since like '98 or something. I have gone through sooooooooooooo many axles caused by a measly little tear in a boot (and heavy right foot, extreme suspension extensions, camber, etc. (FUN)), that ummmmm..... if I break it, I can fix it and break it again!!!!! SUBARU!! NO SUBSTITUTE