Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newbie/Question

Sideways

Hi folks. New to the board. Ya got a nice one here. I run a 91 Suburban and the 14 to the gallon on a good day is getting old. Considering a Subaru in the future as a possibility. I got a question. Does anyone here take there Subaru thru deep loose beach sand ever? I hit the beach sand for summer fishing trips and was wondering what ya all thought might be a good rig for me. Experienced first hand accounts or pictures would be great. Thanks.:)

Mate, Subarus are light and reasonably torquey.

They love sand. ( CV Joints don't really like it when the rubbers split)

Well driven they will go a lot further than most stock 4wd vehicles.

Drop your tyre pressure and raise your revs!

Have fun.

BrumbertyandHazards.jpg

yeah... I've had mine in the sand a couple times, only complaints is ever since then whenver I have to crawl underneath it to work on somethin I get sand in my face, lotsa places for it to stick to even when you think you got it all off. the tires I had on my subaru were obscenely large for stock drivetrain, and it did pretty good on the beach in 2wd, I havent had it on the softer stuff yet though, but I imagine with low air pressure and the right tires, jam it in 4lo and hammer down :)

no chains to stretch/break/explode like it did in the transfercase in my jeep the FIRST time I've had it on the beach.

Hi folks. New to the board. Ya got a nice one here. I run a 91 Suburban and the 14 to the gallon on a good day is getting old. Considering a Subaru in the future as a possibility. I got a question. Does anyone here take there Subaru thru deep loose beach sand ever? I hit the beach sand for summer fishing trips and was wondering what ya all thought might be a good rig for me. Experienced first hand accounts or pictures would be great. Thanks.:)

A Subaru waqgon is the result of a Suburban and a VW making babies!! Love mine, does way too much stuff that it shouldn't. If your Suburban can do it a Subuaru will as well!!! AND you will have $$ leftover for good bait. Cheers Pesky

I'd take a subaru over a suburban and day, on road or off.. although i don't pull huge loads... subi's do great in low traction situations... because they weight nothing... compaired to your huge truck there.

Lift a subi, throw some big tires on her, and away you go! :grin:

it (the subaru) will do whatever you want it to do as long as you have some ground clearance. For the soft sand you will want to make sure it has d/r 4wd (In my opinion)

Don't forget they are plenty good in the snow too even with cheap wal-mart tires on them. :headbang:

Thanks for the Comments. What is d/r 4wd?

"Don't forget they are plenty good in the snow too even with cheap wal-mart tires on them. :headbang: "

I hear that:D

A d/r 4wd is llike a truck 4wd. It has 4wd and 4wd low range which gives you a mechanicle gear reduction. If you only get a awd, or regular 4wd you will find they usually dont have the tourque to get you moving in the soft stuff....unless it is an automatic where the tourque converter can help.