Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I am 6hrs away from home kinda have to be home wed. night. As soon as I arrived in Bridgeport, CT my power sterring failed. Well I am now getting a huge screeching sound coming from under the hood at all ranges of the rpms. There is fluid in it but when i turn the steering wheel the ps pulley slows to an almost stop, my alternator light comes on also. First what is the problem? 2nd - anyone near bridgeport that could help or recomend me somewhere....I am prolly going to the dealer early tom. morning.

So I am 6hrs away from home kinda have to be home wed. night. As soon as I arrived in Bridgeport, CT my power sterring failed. Well I am now getting a huge screeching sound coming from under the hood at all ranges of the rpms. There is fluid in it but when i turn the steering wheel the ps pulley slows to an almost stop, my alternator light comes on also. First what is the problem? 2nd - anyone near bridgeport that could help or recomend me somewhere....I am prolly going to the dealer early tom. morning.

WEIRD - my post, just before yours, talks about my horrible breakdown this weekend in Bridgeport, CT on my way to NYC from vermont. We broke down on Main St near Rt 8/Courthouse. None of the payphones worked, but we found a very friendly Holiday Inn on Main that let us wait for AAA tow. Wish you the best of luck. I no longer have any faith in dealers. Try to get to a place with a mechanic you trust.

sounds like the power steering pump is binding up and in turn slowing down the drive belt for the alternator. next would be belt failure???

goodluck.

Probably way too much. It's not hard to do yourself. What I'd do to get home- try and route the belt so it doesn't go around the power steering pulley, probably will need to buy a new belt to do this. May also have to remove the power steering pulley. Steering will be hard as hell to use when below 10mph, but at least it'll get you home with no worries.

just found out what exactly is wrong.....the alternator tensioner bolt is broken, worst part about this is the bolt is still inside the alternator hole. No way i can get it out with the lack of tools i have(ez out). Now i am wondering If i did mess up the ps pump while driving on this, only maybe 2 miles. Funny, the entire alternator has about 1 inch of play in it and i didn't even notice till now

just throwing wild cr@p here OK? Is there any other way to secure it with some tension? Think sideways here. Is there a way to ose other hardware, or hose clamps or zip ties or wire to at least keep the alt. running? Might only have to buy 1 or 2 cheap tools.

bottom line - rig it!

Carl

Sounds like you've got someone in town.

I'm in B'pt but it's kind of late.

Options for Wed. AM:

Milford Auto Recyclers if you can get yourself out to exit 35 off I-95.Call them first,obviously,but they will likely have something that will help you.

Dan Perkins Subaru also off exit 35 in Milford,****talk to John in the PARTS DEPT.**** he will help you.They are right next to M.A.R. too.

Plenty of local parts stores.

I'll PM you my phone number,but once the day begins I might not be able to come help you out....but I can talk for a couple minutes at least.Leave a message and number if I don't answer.

Hooray, the Moose (Paul) to the rescue... and we thought you were only an Old Generation prowler. Good to see you on the road and willing to lend a hand.

Sounds like you've got someone in town.

I'm in B'pt but it's kind of late.

Options for Wed. AM:

Milford Auto Recyclers if you can get yourself out to exit 35 off I-95.Call them first,obviously,but they will likely have something that will help you.

Dan Perkins Subaru also off exit 35 in Milford,****talk to John in the PARTS DEPT.**** he will help you.They are right next to M.A.R. too.

Plenty of local parts stores.

I'll PM you my phone number,but once the day begins I might not be able to come help you out....but I can talk for a couple minutes at least.Leave a message and number if I don't answer.

WEIRD - my post, just before yours, talks about my horrible breakdown this weekend in Bridgeport, CT on my way to NYC from vermont. We broke down on Main St near Rt 8/Courthouse. None of the payphones worked, but we found a very friendly Holiday Inn on Main that let us wait for AAA tow. Wish you the best of luck. I no longer have any faith in dealers. Try to get to a place with a mechanic you trust.
yikes! my fusible link thing happened in danbuy, ct two weekends ago on the way back to Pa.

Thanks everyone. I went to Voight thanks to Paul's advice. they got me in and out within 3 hrs. I made it home in time and everything is good. Thanks again everyone.

glad to hear all went well.:clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by telpernian

WEIRD - my post' date=' just before yours, talks about my horrible breakdown this weekend in Bridgeport, CT on my way to NYC from vermont. We broke down on Main St near Rt 8/Courthouse. None of the payphones worked, but we found a very friendly Holiday Inn on Main that let us wait for AAA tow. Wish you the best of luck. I no longer have any faith in dealers. Try to get to a place with a mechanic you trust.[/i']

yikes! my fusible link thing happened in danbuy, ct two weekends ago on the way back to Pa.

what is it about CT? what the state have something against soobys :D

try driving along then have a sparkplug blow out and (1) not be able to find where it went and (2) burn your hand trying to find it near the engine.

Cool,glad you got out of Bridgeport with your skin.:burnout:

Kenny Voight was the neighborhood drag race freak.He's been building machines since he was in his teens.

Must have been a curse from the president coming to town.Yes,avoid CT.We tell good people that all the time.