Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Your Worst EA82 failure

It occured to me , that I have never seen a blown ea82 (physical rod break, crank , cam, valves etc.) I have heard of head gaskets going, but never actually seen one. Has anyone "thrown a rod" or spun a bearing? I must have been in and around a dozen high mileage ea82s with no major failures. The one I am running now has almost a low end knock and the questions I ponder ... I shrug it off as i killed "the heat pig" and added higher grade oils, things loosen up like my last one.

i ruined a piston pin and who knows what else in an ER27, found the piston clip in my oil pan - same pistons, rings, rods as an EA82. that was from adding coolant for 6 months that was ending up in the oil pan on a 220,000 mile motor. laziness kills. you get risky when you got extra motors lying around.

I've seen two- I bought both of them with seized motors. One had obviously had coolant leaking into the cylinder and hydrolocked. The other one was run without any oil. I think it's basically impossible to ruin an EA82 without trying really, really hard.

Long time ago... in 1995; my dad drive the EA82 with a partially damaged head gasket that makes the water / coolant mix, slowly go away from the engine at normal temp.s, and then get hotter, and hotter ...

He was in the middle of a Highway when engine´s temp go to So much Hot, almost redline; so he did pull the car aside from the road, near to a wild cold mountain spring water font, and takin´ some fresh water from it, with the engine still running in idle, he did open the Radiator (with his T Shirt on his Hands as a protective Shield) and put straight in, a half gallon of that fresh cool mountain water...

I will never forget that Horrible "CráCk" Sound commin´ from the engine... one of the two Heads did broke in Two pieces, just between the valve holes from one cilider to another...

Miracly the engine didn´t stop runnin´ just one side was Kickin´ Literally, but two pistons was enough to my dad, to came back home, cruisin´ like that almost 77 Miles!

Really, I Love that EA82... I just changed the broken head and it did work perfectly! and still runnin´ today.

So: Please, don´t drop fresh water in a hot EA82... NEVER!

That particular engine isnt easy.
really no different than the EA82. it was an outside (#5, rear passengers side) that had issue, still have that head and block. major coolant leak due to head gasket, far from a typical leak, i was adding about a gallon a day. there was serious amount of material missing from the head where the gasket was leaking. localized heating i suppose. more parts increases risk, but ER27 still requires severe beating to render useless.

the engine in my blue '88 wagon seized in January....haven't figured out the culprit, but it was leaking oil, had been overheated a number of times, a PCV hose was off, and a number of other things.

I took the passenger side head off last weekend, and the cylindars looked great! just a little carbon, but nothing serious, so whatever went wrong, it happened on the other side...or the middle

My mate bought a EA82 wagon with a seized motor. When we got it out it had number ones rod pointing out the block under the manifold. It blowe the right side of the block, and cracked the left, also cracked the PS bracket. No wonder the motor didn't roll start! hahahaha! About the worst I've done is stripe bolts and studs. No, its not that I do them up to hard. I striped a exhaust stud with 8nm on a torque wrench....

Oh, and then theres my dad's wagon. Bought it, drove it, then 4 months later noticed it didn't have a air filter (make sure you do the engine oil, oil filter, coolent, fuel filter, air filter, gearbox filter (once my brother drove a car with no gearbox oil for a month) and all the vacuum lines and maybe fuel lines when you buy a new car...

I have to say, the EA82 is the first motor I've seen with a con-rod problem.. But that's because I've only really worked on them for now, and refuse to buy crappy cars.

I threw a rod in my EA82T. Came through the top of the block, split it wide open. I got pix, will have to post them later (im at work).

Also, i know Brad (Subaru_Styles) has also blown up a EA82T.

-Brian

so were you running high boost or something? and is it common for an engine to go while running high boost even with proper cooling? high boost im talking like 12-15psi....im just not really sure how high i want to run my boost dayly.

I spun a bearing in an EA82T, but it was an old engine from the shop that had gas in the oil. Drove it home and parked it. The boss let his daughter's boyfriend drive his GL-10, it didn't come back on its own. The two front pistons and rodds were destroyed and the block was broken. I have a carbed wagon with a rod sticking out the top. I think the rings are gone in my RX. Too much boost for too long i suspect.

I was given an EA-82 that supposedly had a blown head gasket, tore it down to find that both heads were cracked, each cylinder was cracked from one valve stem to the other, gushing water out. I was told this was a fairly common issue on these when they were overheated.

I threw a rod in my EA82T. Came through the top of the block, split it wide open. I got pix, will have to post them later (im at work).

Also, i know Brad (Subaru_Styles) has also blown up a EA82T.

-Brian

Found this pic lying around, im assuming its an EA82. That your arm Brian? :grin:

wow.jpg

I think a guy in our town blew the EA82T he had in his RX - bent a rod. I dont think it was quite this spectacular however.

KELTIK

Found this pic lying around, im assuming its an EA82. That your arm Brian? :grin:

wow.jpg

I think a guy in our town blew the EA82T he had in his RX - bent a rod. I dont think it was quite this spectacular however.

KELTIK

That's Subaru_Styles'......you can see his wagon in the background :lol:

So to conclude it is lack of cooling, over pressured turbo and lack of fluids seems to be most serious killers .Even then, I ran an ea 82 DL that had less than half gallon of coolant all summer ( I was quite ill--wasn't keeping up on much of anything), no breaks or errors here in Maine, I finally noticed after turning on the defrost one morning with temp guage at warm and got no heat.

I was curious to know as my car engine sounds "loose" after fixing stuff. I just watched a rally video and those engines at idle I'd swear I could hear and visualize every noisy flopping part.:) I won't worry just yet...seems to be better than ever when things stay "loose as a goose" and cool.