Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bit of info for those who want to know

mikie

JDM legacy. Model code BF3CK3N, trans code TY752XE2AA. Engine is EJ18.

Found in wreckers yard.

This appears to be a full time 4wd box with hi/lo ratio and 4.11 final drive... this got me interested so i went back and took photos. It also has a carbed inlet manifold, which may be adaptable onto an Ej22, and a distributor that runs of the rh bank, the EJ22 has a blank off plate over the hole. Ideal for simple EJ conversion. Both had already been sold of this wagon.

This trans would be ideal for an EJ conversion into an EA-powered vehicle... but further more i wonder if the gearsets would interchange with EA d/r boxes, they have exactly the same ratios i believe, same clutch input shaft spline. You could make a 4.11 final drive EA box. or put the lockable centre diff from an ea or s/r ej box in it. or put any EJ 4.44 cw + pinion in it. match it with a 4.11 or 4.44 viscous rear diff. If the reduction is only 1.2:1 then would the 1.596:1 EA reduction gears fit ? hmmmm. If i had some spare time and too much money id buy it just to find out.

the bad news however, is, its in new zealand... thats why ive posted the model codes, might be helpful to someone out there.

post-7431-136027607422_thumb.jpg

post-7431-13602760744_thumb.jpg

post-7431-136027607445_thumb.jpg

post-7431-136027607451_thumb.jpg

post-7431-136027607455_thumb.jpg

All sounds great. But, in america they did not get the duel range EJ's. I am unsure who, where, when got them, I do know it is very popular here in Aus to have a EJ, and a D/R EJ box in a EA.

Interesting about the carbed EJ though...

JDM legacy. Model code BF3CK3N, trans code TY752XE2AA. Engine is EJ18.

Found in wreckers yard.

This appears to be a full time 4wd box with hi/lo ratio and 4.11 final drive... this got me interested so i went back and took photos. It also has a carbed inlet manifold, which may be adaptable onto an Ej22, and a distributor that runs of the rh bank, the EJ22 has a blank off plate over the hole. Ideal for simple EJ conversion. Both had already been sold of this wagon.

This trans would be ideal for an EJ conversion into an EA-powered vehicle... but further more i wonder if the gearsets would interchange with EA d/r boxes, they have exactly the same ratios i believe, same clutch input shaft spline. You could make a 4.11 final drive EA box. or put the lockable centre diff from an ea or s/r ej box in it. or put any EJ 4.44 cw + pinion in it. match it with a 4.11 or 4.44 viscous rear diff. If the reduction is only 1.2:1 then would the 1.596:1 EA reduction gears fit ? hmmmm. If i had some spare time and too much money id buy it just to find out.

the bad news however, is, its in new zealand... thats why ive posted the model codes, might be helpful to someone out there.

sounds good send me one:burnout:

oh man. if you buy it to me and smuggle it to me in the mail piece by piece I swear I'll pay you back.

seriously, I wonder if us having the VIN on hand would be helpful for finding more of these? would you be able to get the VIN for The Good Of The Board?

Keep in mind that the low range reduction is more like an RX D/R than the typical GL D/R we're used to. Gearing is already an issue for us with the GL transmission and it's 1.596:1. Even with lower diff ratios, I think gearing will be a major issue. Also, keep in mind that the center diff on EJ transmissions is limited slip, not locked (well, nonexistant to be accurate) of the GL D/R. This, I would imagine, could lead to traction issues, although the EJ transmissions do have a fairly aggressive center diff. It's a neat find, but 1. good luck getting one in the States, and even more to the point, if you're building an offroader, why not use the EA transmission?

good luck getting one in the States, and even more to the point, if you're building an offroader, why not use the EA transmission?

Thanks for the luck, I know we'll need it. That or for one of the guys in AU to quit bragging about how popular they are and take the initiative to arrange to send some to us. :brow:

I doubt I'll ever try rock crawling in an EJ car. Crappy approach and departure angles just won't allow that stuff. If it's gonna get a huge lift, then might as well add in a transfer case and the d/r tranny won't matter anyways. . .

But in the mean time. An EJ d/r would be really sweet for hill climbs and the like. Slow trails, or snowy climbs like the one that did in your clutch when you followed us up to Greenwater.

The EJ d/r would have to be way stronger than an EA, and you could probably get a clutch that's ten times as strong. Well better anyways. Exidy.

Man I would love a d/r tranny like that!!!:brow: Could you imagine a ej22t mated to that thing?That would be phenomenal! Can anyone say 33" super swamper boggers on a legacy with that!

Pictures like that should not be allowed!Now I want one too badly.Just kidding I am glad to see that.Now I know what I will do if I ever go visit new z or Australia.

Last year i asked if anyone wanted to get some of these and bring them over, they are about 3k AUD, plust another 1.5K in shipping, so at the risk of :horse: . Unless we get a bulk shipment, there is no one that is gonna buy one for 6000 bucks.

because if you try to run an STi motor through an EA tranny... what would be left in the end? a pile of metal? :confused:

Haha, that's probably true, although I wonder how the EJ D/Rs hold up to power. I'm sure better than an EA trans, though :) .

Thanks for the luck, I know we'll need it. That or for one of the guys in AU to quit bragging about how popular they are and take the initiative to arrange to send some to us. :brow:

I sure wish I could order them through Subaru, that would make a lot of people happy, but sadly, our catalog only covers North America. Shipping a transmission isn't cheap, but for the right toys, it's worth it. Come on you Aussie guys :D .

But in the mean time. An EJ d/r would be really sweet for hill climbs and the like. Slow trails, or snowy climbs like the one that did in your clutch when you followed us up to Greenwater.

Ahh, but an EA D/R would have kept my clutch from going as well :) . Or, for that matter, a better clutch. That said, I can see the attraction, I certainly would love to have an RX D/R with the GL D/R low range set.

P.S. That clutch is still in there too :) . It'll be XT6 clutch time if/when I ever get my too-expensive D/R :rolleyes: .

Shipping would be stupidly expensive i imagine. There must be some legacies over there somewhere like this. I admit its the first and only one ive seen in NZ thou. We miss out on much cool stuff over here that you folks get a heap of, but we do have JDM cars in oversupply.

baccaruda, what do you mean by VIN ? The picture of the vehicle id plate is what i would have called the VIN, the chassis code has the relevant info for the model, at least BF3 indicates a EJ18 4wd station wagon.

Now for the mix n match part....

The other legacy i saw recently had a push button 4wd locking centre diff.

There are plenty of them with 4.444 front and rear diffs.

The lo ratio gears from a EA box *might* fit into this EJ box.

It bolts to the EJ22.

The potential product would be very cool. Thats what i was driving at.

I've posted this in the "retrofit" forum, but i figure i'd post it here to let the offroad guys know, but i'm trying to get the parts together to make a super-custom tranny:

4.11 final drive

RX AWD/Diff lock center diff

1.59:1 low range

front LSD

2wd first gear, 3.656 as opposed to 3.545

I have the RX tranny, but will need to scrounge for all the other parts, so if you have any of that stuff laying around let me know.

• 3 weeks later...
I've posted this in the "retrofit" forum, but i figure i'd post it here to let the offroad guys know, but i'm trying to get the parts together to make a super-custom tranny:

4.11 final drive

RX AWD/Diff lock center diff

1.59:1 low range

front LSD

2wd first gear, 3.656 as opposed to 3.545

I have the RX tranny, but will need to scrounge for all the other parts, so if you have any of that stuff laying around let me know.

That would be freakin' amazing! I would love to have something like that.:headbang: