Ultimate Subaru Message Board

so i finally got ym wife to let me autocross the legacy in 2 weeks.

here's what's up.. it's lifted with outback struts and has 205/75r15 trail marks on it. they are pretty sticky though.

i feel that my real problem lies in that it's an automatic..

do you think i should let the tranny do it's thing when it thinks it needs to, or should i use 1/2/3 shifter to do it my way?

please, i'd prefer no speculation from people who havn't done it.

The perfect answer is.... "it depends."

It depends on the track you run!

that being said....

I would start out by leaving the auto-trans in 2nd.

if there is a turn that absoluely requires you to go back down to 1st plan accordingly on your second run.

with the AWD on your side you will likely find yourself foot-to-floor threw most of the course with the lateral G's slowing you up enough to stay on track. The AWD can hold most any situation a 2.5 litre can create at auto-x limited speeds...

super sticky tires help though! If you get serious into it pick up some

Eagle F1 GS D3's or some Dunlop SP sports ( DOT ok'd drag radials. )

The perfect answer is.... "it depends."

It depends on the track you run!

that being said....

I would start out by leaving the auto-trans in 2nd.

if there is a turn that absoluely requires you to go back down to 1st plan accordingly on your second run.

with the AWD on your side you will likely find yourself foot-to-floor threw most of the course with the lateral G's slowing you up enough to stay on track. The AWD can hold most any situation a 2.5 litre can create at auto-x limited speeds...

super sticky tires help though! If you get serious into it pick up some

Eagle F1 GS D3's or some Dunlop SP sports ( DOT ok'd drag radials. )

i used to have the dunlops in the stock size, and my buddy has the F1's

OK, is it just me that has a pproblem with autocrossing a lifted car? When you raise the height of a car, the center of gravity goes up, and your cornering ability goes down. This, it seems to me, would be a big hit on you at the track. . .

Please tell me if and how and why I'm wrong?

OK, is it just me that has a pproblem with autocrossing a lifted car? When you raise the height of a car, the center of gravity goes up, and your cornering ability goes down. This, it seems to me, would be a big hit on you at the track. . .

Please tell me if and how and why I'm wrong?

no, you're absolutely right.

i'm not racing for points and i'm not an SCCA member. i just want to try it for fun expecting to get last place, and i'm fine with it. you can't take it all too seriously.

here's the site for the events: www.nhscc.com

Take a torque wrench with you and double check the lug nuts between a coupla runs to make sure the wheels don't loosen up. Try to either have an air tank and a gauge with you or, at least, boost the tire pressure. How much? maybe someone can give you agood starting point - I ran 38 up front and 36 in the rear on my WRX. Take out any potential flying objects/xtra weight in the car too. Keep the shiny side up and greasy side down!

have fun!

Carl

no, you're absolutely right.

i'm not racing for points and i'm not an SCCA member. i just want to try it for fun expecting to get last place, and i'm fine with it. you can't take it all too seriously.

here's the site for the events: www.nhscc.com

OK, that's cool, then. Be sure to have a lot of fun in the process!! :banana:

Your request for advice on how to make your car go faster sounded to me like you were going for a win, which is why I was worried about the cornering capabilities of a lifted car. I'm with Carl: take out anything that might fly about or add extra weight (spare, jack, tools, etc) and boost the tire pressure a bit. Above all, be safe and have fun!

OK, that's cool, then. Be sure to have a lot of fun in the process!! :banana:

Your request for advice on how to make your car go faster sounded to me like you were going for a win, which is why I was worried about the cornering capabilities of a lifted car. I'm with Carl: take out anything that might fly about or add extra weight (spare, jack, tools, etc) and boost the tire pressure a bit. Above all, be safe and have fun!

basically it's an SUS with a 2.2. it's not some ginormously huge rig or anything.

i never requested go-fastitude...

when I did it in benebob's xt6 I left his car in 1 and when it redlined it defaulted to 2 automatically and when the speed was slow again it would go back to 1 on its own. Worked great! I think i have a video of me totally loosing it in his car but it was fun (and a little scarry since it isn't my car) :headbang:

Up the tire pres. most definatly. I put my re92's that were on my OBS up pretty high and it did ok for what it was. Most importantly have fun... don't worry about being the fastest out there..concentrate on making good lines through the cones and not necessarly flogging it. Smoothness will do you wonders... trust me. :brow:

when I did it in benebob's xt6 I left his car in 1 and when it redlined it defaulted to 2 automatically and when the speed was slow again it would go back to 1 on its own. Worked great! I think i have a video of me totally loosing it in his car but it was fun (and a little scarry since it isn't my car) :headbang:

Up the tire pres. most definatly. I put my re92's that were on my OBS up pretty high and it did ok for what it was. Most importantly have fun... don't worry about being the fastest out there..concentrate on making good lines through the cones and not necessarly flogging it. Smoothness will do you wonders... trust me. :brow:

no, when mine's in first, it's in first.

the only time it steps down downshifting is if i'm going too fast fo the gear it'll go to the next lowest gear until it's slow enough, then go all the way.