Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Installed MX6 steering wheel, need help on wireing up cruise control.

:D I got tired of looking at my whimpy, tiny blue factory trapazoid shaped steering wheel. I had plans to install an EJ22 airbag wheel but to no avail when I went to put my old wheel in that car it didn't work:-\ .

So today while poking around in my dads yard of wrecks I decided to take a look at a 94 Mazda MX6. I origonaly went to see what speakers were it and I got a nice set of PolkAudio 5x8 that I stuck in my front doors.

It was a upscale model with leather and when I looked at the preferated leather three spoke steering wheel I thought dam that would look awsome in my soob. So I took it off and what luck I had today, it fit on it and the same amount of splines.

Got the horn to work but It would be complete if I could get the cruise control to work to.

The Soob has three wires to the cruise buttons

Green and black ( this is also tied into the horns)

Yellow and black

red with white

The mazdas cruise control has two wires

light blue and black with white :rolleyes:

So if someone could help me out and explain to me how to do this I would apprecite it greatly. Oh and sorry for such a long post I was real excited about my new wheel.:D:brow:

That looks bad rump roast.

When I get back to the house, I can check the FSM for the soob wiring. No idea about the mazda wiring though.

I do know that I need a new steering wheel (mine is coming apart). And now I have another option :D

BTW.. did you hook up all the airbag sensors? ;)

:D Nah, what I did is dismanteld it, I DO NOT recomend doing this but I feel safer with the inflator part out, the bad it self is still there I only removed the metal container that gives of the chemicals to inflate the airbag.

I took it apart quick though as I was nervous while doing so.

The only mod I had to do to the wheel was use a dremal to widen the hub on the wheel. It was to small width wise so I widend it and then had to gring down the back of the hub some. It kept rubbing on the plastic spinning control for the horn and cruse control.

The MX6 wheel has a deeper spline than the subaru's smaller one, but it took up the soob's steering colum splines when put on. I will just keep an eye on the bolts( used the soob's bolt and locking washers) for tight ness.

Oh and thanks Calebz for the compliment.

So, it's some cruzin' you want to do, is it? Well, a quick check with my service manual gives answers to your questions.

The GB wire is the common wire for the other two wires. Tie one switch to the WR wire and the GB wire for the SET control. Tie the YB wire and the GB wire to the other switch for the RESUME control. Your on your way to cruzin' with your fine new wheel.

Edit:

After posting this I realized something that may or may not be a problem. You stated that you only had two wires on the new wheel. The switches in the wheel may have a common tie to ground when they are pushed. If this is so, you will not be able to hook up the system as I stated. The Subaru system does not use a ground to turn on the controls. You will have to make a interface to make it work. I could design one for you if needed.

Hijacking:!!

So are EA81 and EA82 steering colums the same?? So my brother could look for a Boss Kit to fit a 94 MX6 instead of one that fits a EA81?!!?! His going to be happy to hear this :D

No, EA81 steering shafts are not the same as EA82, but the EA82 is the same as the Impreza I believe....

That 'little metal cannister that gives off the chemicals' is a F*#@^(G DYNAMITE-GRADE BALSTING CAP!!!!!

Do you have ANY idea how lucky you are to still have all your fingers attached?

Please send me 6 numbers between 1 and 50. I'm gonna play Lotto on your luck, and I ain't gonna share when I win!

That 'little metal cannister that gives off the chemicals' is a F*#@^(G DYNAMITE-GRADE BALSTING CAP!!!!!

Do you have ANY idea how lucky you are to still have all your fingers attached?

Please send me 6 numbers between 1 and 50. I'm gonna play Lotto on your luck, and I ain't gonna share when I win!

The reaction that goes on to deploy an airbag is not a very dangerous explosive.

What happens is a series of chemical reactions that end up inflating the airbag. It starts when the sensor detects deceleration, and then ignites a pellet of NaN3, which produces Na (sodium), and N2 (nitrogen gas). The pellet of NaN3 itself is hazardous, but the products of it igniting are not. Once the can is seperated from the airbag, if you some how accidentally set off the canister (unlikely), you would just end up releasing Nitrogen gas.

As I said, its a series of reactions, and the NaN3 pellet is just the initial reaction. More info can be found http://www.chemistry.wustl.edu/~edudev/LabTutorials/Airbags/airbags.html

Just trying to dispell any myths about dynamite grade explosives being in front of you.

I know how dangerous messing with airbags can and are:rolleyes: . I did a report on them in 8th grade and know how they work also.

Most of all cars have three sensors( for frontal impact anyway) that will set off the front airbags. Two of the three ned to be set off to deploy them and in rare cases have I ever heard of them going of out side of the collision type deal.

I know that Volvo had a law suite against them from people stepping on the brakes and it setting of the airbags. They do hurt though from what I hear.

I also have fun setting them off when my dad gets a junker with aibags:D , sounds like a shot gun.