Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '05 Impreza is burning oil!!!

Hi guys! I got a '05 Impreza 2.5 RS (Sport Pkg) and two months ago my motor was making some noise at high rpm. So I take it to the garage and the guy told me that he had to change the motor! :confused: It's brand new!!! Anyway the warranty would cover it all, so let's change all that! They told me they change the short block and some minor things! (to me it sound like:"jgiorefjeklrfjqvèefjghiw;" After that, all was good. But it's been about 2 months now and for no reason my motor as shut off on it's own 3 times now, while driving! And I'm burning at least a pint of oil between oil changes!

What do you think?

Hi guys! I got a '05 Impreza 2.5 RS (Sport Pkg) and two months ago my motor was making some noise at high rpm. So I take it to the garage and the guy told me that he had to change the motor! :confused: It's brand new!!! Anyway the warranty would cover it all, so let's change all that! They told me they change the short block and some minor things! (to me it sound like:"jgiorefjeklrfjqvèefjghiw;" After that, all was good. But it's been about 2 months now and for no reason my motor as shut off on it's own 3 times now, while driving! And I'm burning at least a pint of oil between oil changes!

What do you think?

It's still under warrantee, make them install a complete new engine.

I'm sure a 1/2 qt between changes is within spec. They won't change engines again for that. But, I'd sure take it back for the quitting. Maybe they didn't tighten a ground. Any funny stuff with lights, accessories, etc.?

For sure you need to take it back and have those faults documented. So much easier to complain to higher authorities if you have a "paper trail".

Oil burning on a brand new engine isn't that strange, but I wouldn't expect a non-turbo to eat that much.

My 2.5 Turbo drank 2quarts within the first 3k miles, and now seems to have settled down.

If you push a motor hard, even if its new, it will burn oil.
Gee Noah, mine must be the exception, I don't exactly baby my car, heck just last night I accelerated from a light so fast that the 'G' forces made my wife's back hurt (she had back surgery 5 months ago). I check the oil level everytime before and after an oil change, and it is in the same spot everytime, the engine has over 110,000 miles on it.

But back to the problem, have you taken it back to the dealer yet? If not, why not?

For sure you need to take it back and have those faults documented. So much easier to complain to higher authorities if you have a "paper trail".

Oil burning on a brand new engine isn't that strange, but I wouldn't expect a non-turbo to eat that much.

My 2.5 Turbo drank 2quarts within the first 3k miles, and now seems to have settled down.

+1 for the paper trail. In many states 3 is the magic number for a 'lemon law' to kick in. If you have the same complaint 3 times within a certain period of time, you get a replacement car. Since the changed the 'motor' I'd expect any generic 'motor' complaint to count against your '3'.

(Setright! - got any pics of the new ride on the track or ?)

Carl

I think of pushing as more like a sustained trip at 90 mph or so. Sometimes it seems like you use more oil on a trip becuse the oil gets diluted around town and you get it warm enough to boil off fuel or water.
It's apparent that you've never riden with me. :lol:

P.S. My engine never gets hotter the half way up the temp guage, no matter how hard I drive it.

What do you think?

I got the same probleme , but they wont do any thing whit it:mad:

Gee Noah, mine must be the exception, I don't exactly baby my car, heck just last night I accelerated from a light so fast that the 'G' forces made my wife's back hurt (she had back surgery 5 months ago). I check the oil level everytime before and after an oil change, and it is in the same spot everytime, the engine has over 110,000 miles on it.

But back to the problem, have you taken it back to the dealer yet? If not, why not?

2 weeks ago I went to the dealer and explain all of this and for the engine they aks me things like: "what did you do just before it happen?" There was really nothing special to tell! The mecano test drive it with me and of course it didn't happen! So they tell me that they have to experience the problem cause Subaru won't pay several hours just to "find" what's wrong!

Should I put my "non-happy customer face" and demand (not ask) to have it look at anyway?

For the oil problem, I do push it a little! I don't get very high speed, but as acceleration goes, almost in the red for each gear. Not ALL the time off course, but every time I got the chance! So it might explain the oil burning that fast!

Well, I got to say thank you all for your help, it did help! :burnout:

Perhaps this is an unenlighted question, but did you follow the break in procedure for a new engine?

Usually it is recommended that you don't drive the car very hard for the first few thousand miles, until the engine is broken in. Also the speeds the car is driven at should be varied for the first few thousand miles. No trans-continetel voyages with the cruise on for a while.

I try to drive a new car the same way as if it was the middle of winter and the car is frozen. Slow acceleration and shift at low revs. I know it is boring, but it sure beats costly engine work.

I really wish they still put in oil pressure guages like my brat has.

You may be using a lot of oil because the rings have not seated completely yet and the film left on the cylinder walls is thicker then it should be burning off.

Do you run natural or synthetic oil? Synthetic oil can hinder the break in process and it doesn't smoke as much when it burns.

Just a few thoughts.

Rob

WIth a brand new motor, you have to get 9-10K miles on it before the rings seat, and subarus seem to be on the high end of this.

Three words, document, document, document. Keep a diary of who you spoke to when and about what.

What was the reason for the first engine to go south.

nipper

I don't think that it's become clear - any specific reason(s) for the EJ-25 "oil-burners", but they do exist sporadically.

I can't help but wonder if it has to do with a casting flaw.

**** ******!

WIth a brand new motor, you have to get 9-10K miles on it before the rings seat, and subarus seem to be on the high end of this.

Three words, document, document, document. Keep a diary of who you spoke to when and about what.

What was the reason for the first engine to go south.

nipper

I did go smooth for the first month or so, even if the dealer was teliing me that's not necessary anymore, but my last car was a honda civic. And the rpm can go higher on a civic. I don't look at the rpm meter, I listen to the sound of the motor! So I may have made the rpm go to the max two or tree times! :-\

The first time I take it to the dealer was because the motor was making some noise (klac!) at high rpm!

I use natural oil.

For the oil problem, I do push it a little! I don't get very high speed, but as acceleration goes, almost in the red for each gear. Not ALL the time off course, but every time I got the chance! So it might explain the oil burning that fast!

Well, I got to say thank you all for your help, it did help! :burnout:

It's a new engine! Don't go over 4000rpm at least until you reach 10 to 15,000km.

enjoy your sub