Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trailer hitch for a 92 Loyale?

I need/ want to pull a small trailer, but can't find a hitch for my car. Has anybody found one or made one? I don't want one that bolts to the bumper.

It would be just for light duty trips from the home store, just a few sheets of plywood or something like that.

Thanks,

Todd

I need/ want to pull a small trailer, but can't find a hitch for my car. Has anybody found one or made one? I don't want one that bolts to the bumper.

It would be just for light duty trips from the home store, just a few sheets of plywood or something like that.

Thanks,

Todd

we have one bolted to the bumper of our loyale.....pulled a little utility trailer with mattresses (that's right...plural), lumber, tree branches, an engine block or 2, etc. it's quite strong, as long as you load the trailer right, I wouldn't put our mastercraft behind it, but the car couldn't move it anyway....so that won't be a problem.

we pulled so much, that we burned up 3rd gear (3AT) before the hitch showed any signs of wear.

otherwise, there were a few hitches that bolted to the tie-downs in the rear. I think it was a factory option, but I could be wrong. there was one in a local junkyard here a few months ago, if it hadn't been so rusty, I would've grabbed it.

Go to your or call your nearest U-haul location, they will be able to get the hitch for you. Uhaul carries 2 different hitches for our cars, one is a fixed mount and the other is a 1 1/4 inch reciever type. Both hitches are class 1, 2000lb capacity. Also, you can order the hitch on uhaul.com. Hope this helps!

Scott

BTW, the fixed mount is $129.95, the reciever type is $189.95.

Thanks for the replies.

I went to uhaul.com, but the fixed mount is $180; I guess if that's my only option, I'll bite. I wish they had a pic of it; I was considering welding one up with some box steel.

Numbchux, could you please post a pic of your's? If it's verifiably strong, I guess I would consider a bumper mount.

-Todd

Seems like there's only a fixed option for me... I never mentioned that mine is a sedan.

DaveT, is there a reason you didn't use the mounting points for the tow eyes? I'm not doubting that your's is strong (I think it's pure overkill!), it's just that I see most class 1 hitches utilizing these points.

Most of the class 1s seem to be a straight piece of box steel, with plates for the mounting bolts, and another perpendicular piece of box steel for the receiver. I can't see this costing me more than $15 in materials + the cost of the ball, ball mount and pin. I think this is the route I'll go, if I don't buy my buddies pick-up truck.

Thanks All,

Todd

Thanks,

Todd

The one I put on my 91 Loyale wagon is a Dalan. A good trailer-hitch place should be able to order one. Dalan seems to cater to the less-common applications. It's a flat type, not receiver. I pulled 2000 lbs worth of loaded trailer with it from Oregon to Virginia.

DaveT, is there a reason you didn't use the mounting points for the tow eyes? I'm not doubting that your's is strong (I think it's pure overkill!), it's just that I see most class 1 hitches utilizing these points.

I made the hitches (I have one on each car) about 15 years ago. They are so far away I would have needed a big piece of box tubing and brackets to go up....:)

My 76 had a weird hitch that bolted to the bumper, with a tab that also went up to the floor of the wagon. Really not very secure, especially because the bumper on a 76 is not very strong.

I knew that wasn't good enough, so when we got the newer car, I went from there. I knew if I put a lot of bolts into the sheet metal, I would get enough strength by spreading the load to a lot of area. I am thinking of doing a test to see how strong this hitch is once I get my "new" car ready to run.

pics, as promised:

PICT0972.jpg

PICT0973.jpg

it's certainly not the beefiest thing in the world, but it's been plenty for our needs. it'll hold all we dare to put on that little trailer. it pulle the remains of my '85 wagon to the scrapyard. and that turned out to be almost 800 pounds....

I have the type that attaches to both the tow loops in the rear. The hitch toungue has a couple of U bolts that were supposed to go into the bumper, but my bumper wasn't strong enough. I shook at least 5lbs of rust out of it. I'll end up making a spot on my replacement bumper to hook it too, so it should be plenty strong. The nice part about hooking into the tow loops is it helps avoid the V shaped bumper if you get too ambitious about towing.