Ultimate Subaru Message Board

evans creek inspections!! info for wheelers, legal requirements

Rooinater

not sure, in an article in fourwheeler last year, it had the listings for about every state. i'll see if i can find it. i know for the gvw of my subaru, it's on the border if not over.

http://www1.leg.wa.gov/documents/wsr/1998/04/98-04-052.htm

really good reading for building or lifting... found this site with some info about bumper heights and other stuff with modifying, ie vehicle requirements.

hmm... what exactly is our lifts considered? theres some stuff in there that mentions a body lift cannot use spacers bigger than 3" and cannot raise the frame off the body more than 4"... how does that apply to us? btw for those wondering my subaru is registered in washingonton not oregon.

other than that I think I've got some work if I want to be street legal... kinda impossible to do anything about my bumpers and frame.

Ya know, I realize that vehicles are supposed to be "street legal" to operate on Forest Sevice roads, but it seems to me that law enforcement should have better things to do than bust buggies and jeepers at an official offroad park! Writing tickets is a lame way for the agency to raise money. And besides peeving off hardcore wheelers, it's also going to push folks to go wheeling on other non-legal land. Now if the cops down in Buckley or wherever want to write tickets for no mud flaps etc, hey you kind of expect that. But coming down on the guys who trailer their monster rigs to Evans, that just seems bogus and these rangers/cops should have better things to do!

Speaking of other non-legal land to go wheeling on and getting off topic...

Anyone know if the Black Diamond & Kangley area trails are still open?

I was down there a few months ago, found some and it was great!

Mike, you might be misunderstanding the situation. Only rigs that are driving up to the ORV parks are going to be ticketed. Once in the Park, your fine.

Oh. Well never mind then. I was misundering. I didn't get to read that first link Jared posted 'cuz I wasn't a registered user. What set me off ranting is that I've been hearing stories at work about two wheelers getting ticketed for simply crossing forest roads on a non-street-legal bikes so I jumped to conclusions. I can't say I'm too shocked that they'd watch the roads leading to Evans, when there's a fair number mutant machines heading up there and it's only natural for guys to push the limits of what you can get away with driving on roads.

Where does it say its a Felony?

I don't know about WA...but in MN, running from the police in an ORV is an automatic felony, and the vehicle used can be surrendered. so the idea that 'they have to catch me first' is really a bad one!

In that case the bumper issue could be setteled with bolt on removeable lower bumpers, though the frame issue could be tricky (might be albe to get away with it being unibody?) also removeable fenders could be done as well.

yep, there's a local guy with a huge toyota P/U with removable lower bumper tubes, and removable fender flairs. that way he can drive the rig from the campground to the park without getting hassled (he does anyway, but he can't get ticketed....)

In that case the bumper issue could be setteled with bolt on removeable lower bumpers, though the frame issue could be tricky (might be albe to get away with it being unibody?) also removeable fenders could be done as well.

Not according to the WA State Patrol.

Bumpers, unless specifically exempted above, shall be at least 4.5 inches in vertical height, centered on the vehicle's centerline, and extend no less than the width of the respective wheel track distances. Bumpers shall be attached to the vehicle in a manner equivalent to the original manufacturer's installation. Bumpers shall be horizontal load bearing and attach to the vehicle frame to effectively transfer energy when impacted.

http://www1.leg.wa.gov/documents/wsr/1998/04/98-04-052.htm

OR and WA are triing to imitate CA.CA has too many rules and regulations on whatever.Now people from CA are moving to ID.NOOOO!!!!!as long as they don't mess with our rigs or our guns.Idaho wont have too many issues..

oh no,idaho law says gvwr> 4500lbs =24" front bumper and 26" back...

how high does the bumper on a brat sit stock?I dunno 16"?plus 3" for lift,2" for tires.

I get 21,then Im gonna change the front bumper to more of tube than anything.plus 2

23" legal but im sure I could get hassled.Although when I think about it,I have never seen a 4x4 pulled over for a bumper violation

god I need to go buy a tapemeasure

This is what I was after.

The maximum bumper heights will be determined by weight category of gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) measured from a level surface to the highest point on the bottom of the bumper. For vehicles exempted from the bumper requirement for the reasons stated above, a maximum frame elevation measurement shall be made to the bottom of the frame rail. Maximum heights are as follows:

Front Back

Passenger Vehicles 22 Inches 22 Inches

4,500 lbs. and under GVWR 24 Inches 26 Inches

4,501 lbs. to 7,500 lbs. GVWR 27 Inches 29 Inches

7,501 lbs. to 10,000 lbs. GVWR 28 Inches 30 Inches

Adding an additional bumper will not meet the above requirements.

Highest point? Huh?

Looks like Subarus are pretty limited at 22. :confused:

Are we still talking about Evans Creek or Minnesota now?

That sucks about all these rules and regulations. I agree with Mike that these guys should be out busting meth labs and drug dealers. Not worrying about how high some dudes bumper is from the ground. Maybe we oughta drive to the ORV Parks with 13" rims and 175/70R13's... should be able to get the bumper alittle closer to the ground like that.

-Brian

And the gas for both rigs also.

I have enough Soobs to not drive my Hatch as a DD thankfully. With those big tires it gets crappy gas mileage:-\

But I do drive it to and from where I go wheeling. Evans Crk is very close, Rieter is 1.5hrs away. I have never had any problems with the law going to either place, or even driving around my area. All I get is double takes and thumbs up:headbang:

get a trailer

That's what Ken did. And a 454 powered Suburban to pull it. (for far less than 20k, but that's beside the point) It runs on premium, which costs @ $3.50 a gallon these days. :eek:

And we are talking about Washington. And we are talking about the trails at Evans Creek, which require the vehicles to be street legal and licensed. (like the huge sign at the trail head has always said) A trailer won't help you there.

22 ought to be plenty for the average lifted Soob.

And we are talking about Washington. And we are talking about the trails at Evans Creek, which require the vehicles to be street legal and licensed. (like the huge sign at the trail head has always said) A trailer won't help you there.

so if I took a modified vehicle un road legal to EC on a trailer , I couldnt run it? , whats up with Washington, Oregon is way more relaxed on the regs, in Ore you can get a ORV permit on a home built rig without proof of title, in WA you need proof