Ultimate Subaru Message Board

You will never believe this!

:eek:

Well I was driving home today and out of nowhere my rear wheel starts making hella bering noise. I didn't think much of it until it got MUCH louder. As I get on the shoulder the entire car makes a dive towards the rear! I am like WTF was that. So I get out of my car and go around and I see my car laying on the back tire. Yes thats right, the entire wheel fell off! So I get out the old trusty jack that Subaru was nice enough to provide to their "new" car owners and jack it up. Well the outer bering was toasted, litarally! I have the burn mark to prove it. Somehow the berings fell out of the bering holder and basicly destroyed my rear brakes and the locknut that is supposed to hold the drum in place. That bolt from what I remember is supposed to be golden color, well it was burnt as well and was a blueish color. So I limp it home little by little (takes three hours) and now I have to get parts for the ol soobie tomorrow so I can get her back on the road. Well maybe this will take care of the brake problem huh?LOL That is an end to what would have been an otherwise normal day. Stay tunes I am sure we can all come up with our own Subaru stories and the wierd things we encounter from owning them. I just bough this car only about a month ago and this is the only thing that I have had to fix yet. Its a 1987 Subaru GL Wagon running with 220k on the car and who knows how much on the rebuild. I can see why ppl like them though despite my adventure. Just thought we could all get a laugh out of this one. Thanks for reading. I'd like to hear everyone's interesting stories they have had while owning their Subaru so please feel free to enlighten me. Good Day.

I once had a tire fall off on the freeway going about 60mph... cause I forgot to use a cottor pin :lol: ground a good inch or two off of my backing plate, this was when I still had 31s on my car. was also fun to watch my tire roll down the median with the brake drum and everything for a half mile. fun stuff

Those bearings can be tricky. My 2wd stayed silent all the way to a sudden 4 wheel steering on a corner doing 55. The pattern of failure was perfect for steering the rear wheels to the right.:eek: I did get to wobble and wiggle it home without further problems....Luckily nothing destroyed and new bearings went right back in on same hubs. Quiet as a mouse now on the Federal mogul replacement (non-OEM)

Luckly enough from what I can tell it didnt damage the hub assy any. It did destroy my brakes tho. No a big deal because I was gonna need them soon anyways. I think it would be best to do the berings on both sides so this won't happen again. I figure just want to make it right. Its some funny stuff that can happen owning a car, not just a soob.

hope it didn't toast the spindle threads. I have been looking for a new spindle for a couple of months now and can't find anything but new from dealer and they want $290.00!

so good luck and if anyone has a spindle for a 88 gl wagon 4wd please let me know...

Earl

so far no soobs of close years in anny yard I have found. They crush anything older that 6 years or so.

I have looked in about 30 yards so far.

I have found no one on here willing to part with one either.

I seem to be SOL

Thanks for the sugestion though

Tried to PM you but your box is full!!

I have a few 86GL parts. No axle but I do have a spindle and drum. No rust to deal with and the car had 170K on it when I bought if for the trans. Make me an offer.

Stumpy

Tried to PM you but your box is full!!

I have a few 86GL parts. No axle but I do have a spindle and drum. No rust to deal with and the car had 170K on it when I bought if for the trans. Make me an offer.

Stumpy

how about $30.00 shipped to 45403

Yea it did destroy the spindle threads. I have been trying to get that section out and havn't had the best of luck. I can get all but the very last bolt out ( the one in the back). Anyone had to do this? Please enlighten me on how you got it out and what you used as aids. Thanks.

Yea it did destroy the spindle threads. I have been trying to get that section out and havn't had the best of luck. I can get all but the very last bolt out ( the one in the back). Anyone had to do this? Please enlighten me on how you got it out and what you used as aids. Thanks.

I removed the large ring nut on the rear. A hammer and punch was just the ticket. Be sure to bend the tabs out first. then with an oak 4x4 and a sledge I drove it out the rear. I had to use the sindle to drive the outer race out though.

Thanks for the reply. Got it fixed!!!! I went and bought a tap and die set and just rethreaded the spindle. That spindle was in sorry shape and now if you were to look at it you would never know it was damaged. Whoever had the car before me does not belong working on or near a car. They put the outter wheel berings on the wrong side of the drum. Somebody was smoking something.

Thanks for the help.

Glad to have my Soob back!!!

:banana::headbang::clap: