Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Defeating Daytime Running Lights on 06 Baja ?

I would be less worried about your warranty, and more worried about your insurance, if you get into an accident, they can deny your claim as you have disabled a safety feature.

There is no good reason to disable DRL's, Subaru's turn off the headlights with the ignition, so i just leave the headlights on all the time.

EDIT: see what I was talking about. ^^^^^^^^^^

before anyone jumps on your a$$ for this... this topic was just discussed over on www.nasioc.com in the baja section. It is very good reading material and there are great pics to go along with it.

I highly recomend not discussing this on this board. Every time someone asks this question people start fighting about it. :-\ :confused::mad:

I always drive with my headlights on. No matter what car I drive. Oncoming cars are so much easier to see as well if they have their headlights on. And no I don't have poor vision, I can read the bottom line of the eye chart.

The only problem with DRL's is that they don't turn on the tail lights, so if you are driving and it's getting dark, you may forget to turn on your headlights because the DRL's are almost as bright as headlights. Hence the reason I just keep the headlights on all the time. Saves the headlight switch as well.

LOOK the guy is asking how to do it...I don't think he cares about you driving with your lights on or how well you can read an eye chart. :mad:

Exuse me? I was just giving him reasons for keeping the DRL's. But just being subtle about it. I was also showing that I wasn't just some old man that couldn't see to drive. But can see perfect and still like when oncoming cars have DRL's.

BTW...Take some Mydol.

you may forget to turn on your headlights because the DRL's are almost as bright as headlights.

It seems to me you'd notice that your dashboard lights aren't on ????? .....and the

DRL are nowhere as bright as the headlights.

you would hope that people would notice not having their dash lights on but unfortunatlly I see this way too much..especially on foggy days.

And yes DRL's are a little dimmer but not much. But, let me say this: here in america they are almost as bright...in Canada they are considerablely dimmer.

It seems to me you'd notice that your dashboard lights aren't on ????? .....and the

Ummm, you have an 05/06? The dashboard lights stay on, in fact they're brighter if the headlights are off. Tons of people are disabling them because they forget to turn the headlights on and get a ticket for no tail lights, or almost get whacked when someone doesn't see them. Not to mention that 05's were consuming headlamps at an alarming rate.

It takes about 10 minutes at most and there are several threads on legacygt.com. Do a search on lgt, I would post the pic here (for an automatic) but the image size is only 640x480 here and the image is larger than that.

Move the driver's seat all the way back (optional if you're skinny...I'm not)

Crawl under the dash

Look for the box that has <part number> DRL. It's black, right in the middle.

There are two plugs here, unplug the white plug (I think, see note below)

As long as you leave the black plug as is, your headlights, parking lights, fogs, dash lisghts will work as they should. If you unplug both, nothing will work

NOTE: If this doesn't work, I may have the colors reversed. Plugging/unplugging does no damage

The reason the headlights were going out on the '05 was because the bulbs were the wrong hour life.

My dad just bought a new '06 Outback and the instrument panel lights are always on. I just drive with the headlights on all the time so I don't forget to turn them on.

I've seen people driving when it's completely dark with no headlights on. :confused: There were shopping mall lights that were lighting the road, so I guess they thought there headlights were on.

Yup, add me to the list of driver's without headlights on. Happened to me a few times. As well as I've been behind a few 05/06s that have been dark as well.

Everywhere I primarily drive is very well lit. I have driven for miles without noticing the headlights aren't on.

Interesting, designers come up with new concepts for features and safety that seem like a well thought out step forward, only to realize that they can combine to create new problems to over come.

Yup, add me to the list of driver's without headlights on. Happened to me a few times. As well as I've been behind a few 05/06s that have been dark as well.

Everywhere I primarily drive is very well lit. I have driven for miles without noticing the headlights aren't on.

Interesting, designers come up with new concepts for features and safety that seem like a well thought out step forward, only to realize that they can combine to create new problems to over come.

Interesting, it must just take a while for people to remember to turn their lights on at dark?!?!. We've had DRL's in Canada for a long time ( my 91 Legacy has them) and I can't remember the last time I saw someone driving with just their headlights on, no tail lights.

It's just not the issue people make it out to be.

Interesting, it must just take a while for people to remember to turn their lights on at dark?!?!. We've had DRL's in Canada for a long time ( my 91 Legacy has them) and I can't remember the last time I saw someone driving with just their headlights on, no tail lights.

It happens to me when I turn on the car at night. The "headlights" automatically come on and shine against the wall, car, or whatever that is in front of me and it is a visiual queue that my lights are on I guess.

Now that I have had the car for a while, I haven't caught myself doing it lately. But I do find myself checking the indicator light and switch position often so I suppose my sub-concious checklist has updated the new info.

I think I would prefer a set up that had automatic lights with a manual override. Couldn't be that much more expensive to add a photovoltaic cell could it?

I see this (DRL's on, no tailights) quite frequently myself. Rarely at night time, but in low light conditions (dawn, dusk, heavy overcast/stormy weather), a lot of people still run around with just their DRL's.

We've had DRL's since the late 80's in Canada. I thought for sure that "tail lights always on" was going to follow within a few years, or a decade at most. It never has.

I've one of those that always drives with lights on. I've been doing this since about my second year of driving (and that precedes the late 80's by quite a bit).

Commuter

I see this (DRL's on, no tailights) quite frequently myself. Rarely at night time, but in low light conditions (dawn, dusk, heavy overcast/stormy weather), a lot of people still run around with just their DRL's.

All too frequently here in Ohio, the *only* people you see with lights on during these times are the folks with DRLs. Not even the police routinely turn their lights on at dusk or when it is lightly raining during the day.

What surprised me here in the States is that DRLs are not standard on more cars in the US. Since they have to sell them in Canada, the wiring harness exists. Why do something two different ways?

mikkl

I think that if you want to turn off the DRL's, by all means, go ahead, it's your car.

That said, I also leave my lights on continuously. Even on a bright sunny day, it improves others' ability to see and recognize your car. This is especially important to those people who are driving in a state of fatigue or daydreaming. Headlights or tail lights just attract more attention.

I have been driving this way for five years, and have only had to replace the headlamps once. I have never had to replace any of the other lamps.

Matt

it improves others' ability to see and recognize your car. This is especially important to those people who are driving in a state of fatigue or daydreaming. Headlights or tail lights just attract more attention.

I'll probably get flamed for saying this.... but from time to time, i've caught myself driving while drowsy or perhaps paying more attention to the CD I was changing. there were a few close calls, but avoiding the other car had nothing to do with seeing their headlights- instread it had more to do with hearing a horn.

That said- I'm not against DRL's (although I deactivated them on my other car for personal preference). In fact when I'm on an undivided 2 lane highway- I kind of prefer seeing them to distinguish which cars are coming (passing from oncoming side) or going as I come around a curve or a hill. I do find it annoying when people deliberately turn on their hi-beams

The way I see it (ha- pun:D ), if I'm paying attention, I don't need DRL's to see another car. when my attention is not focused, drl's do nothing for me to draw attention to other cars. If people want to use DRL's, I have nothing against it- I just don't think they help as much as people think. what would be interesting would be to see what % of cars with DRL's get into daytime accidents. IF that # was significantly lower than non-DRL cars, then that would make me a believer.

Hey.. being able to turn off all the lights is a VERY important thing when conducting covert operations ;)

My thoughts exactly, and when you go to the drive in theatre and everyone starts swearing, waving fingers, and throwing things, because your lights are on, especially embarrasing if there are kids in the car.

My thoughts exactly, and when you go to the drive in theatre and everyone starts swearing, waving fingers, and throwing things, because your lights are on, especially embarrasing if there are kids in the car.

Same problem when I drive out to the local observatory- night vision is premium.

Learned here on this board- just pull up one click on the e-brake and you are in blackout. Very nice feature, and makes sense. No need to rewire the car if you aren't looking for a more permament solution.