Ultimate Subaru Message Board

at low speeds, 5 to 15 mph i have a wobble in my steering wheel. accelerating and braking, less so breaking. as i speed up it's less noticeable, but probably still there. i have a 96 leg wagon donor car, and i thought i would replace the front wheel parts, knuckle, axel, hub, etc., one at a time to see if i could identify and elimnate the wobble.

question , can i remove the whole front wheel assembly, crossmember, axels, steering rack and all and leave the engine "hanging" from the dog bone angle support?? or supported by a jack stand??

it might be quicker just to swap it all (not the struts).

i wouldn't know what part was bad, but it might save time.

thanks ,

john

at low speeds, 5 to 15 mph i have a wobble in my steering wheel. accelerating and braking, less so breaking. as i speed up it's less noticeable, but probably still there. i have a 96 leg wagon donor car, and i thought i would replace the front wheel parts, knuckle, axel, hub, etc., one at a time to see if i could identify and elimnate the wobble.

question , can i remove the whole front wheel assembly, crossmember, axels, steering rack and all and leave the engine "hanging" from the dog bone angle support?? or supported by a jack stand??

it might be quicker just to swap it all (not the struts).

i wouldn't know what part was bad, but it might save time.

thanks ,

john

Tread seperation/old tires will definitely cause that. I'd swap tires around or borrow some from a bud before I went hunting for tricky to swap steering/suspension bugs - not that it could'nt be rack bushings or something.

Carl

I agree with everyone else FOR ONCE IN MY LIFE! I recently had the same wobble in the steering, and when I swapped the bad tire (I didn't know it was bad at the time) to the rear of the car .... wobble gone.

eeek if you agreed we must be wrong, horribly terribly wrong:banana:

nipper

thanks, guys!! i never figured my fix would be so lucky. i'll swap them around after vacation, until then i'll ride in the wife's car.

thanks again, john

Well, we COULD be wrong. lol!

Plus, if swapping tires does alleviate the problem, doesn't mean you're still not driving on a time bomb. Blowouts are no fun.

enjoy the vacation!

Carl

thanks, guys!! i never figured my fix would be so lucky. i'll swap them around after vacation, until then i'll ride in the wife's car.

thanks again, john

Well, we COULD be wrong. lol!

Plus, if swapping tires does alleviate the problem, doesn't mean you're still not driving on a time bomb. Blowouts are no fun.

enjoy the vacation!

Carl