Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First time for this. Ive had dozens of Subarus and when nothing else would start on the coldest days out here a Subaru always would. Its a 95 Subaru Impreza 1.8, 5 speed, fuel injected,4x4. Never had any problems,ran great. Left sit about 3 weeks and now will not start. Full tank of gas,new battery. Turns over like crazy but either no spark or fuel is my guess. This is the first fuel injected so I need a bit of help.So what should I check first and how do I go about it ??? What kind of testers do I need ???

• 2 weeks later...
did this thing start yet?

nipper

Some times it will ,and some times it wont. What size socket do the plugs take? Cant get anything I have to go down in that hole. When it starts it runs just fine. No miss, no smoke, and will not bogg out when down to the floor.

exaclty what does it do when it doesnt start?

You need to get a no start condition, and then check the cam and crank postion sensors for a heartbeat, and check the ignitor. Also check the fuel pump relay.

nipper

Fully charged battery, good alt. How do you check these sensors and where do I find them ???? Car was running fine. It turns over fast and thats all. It has no spark. Cant smell any fuel. It did this twice before but got in it next day and started right up.

Just a wild idea, it might be worthwhile to push/pull flex some cables around when it fails and try starting it.

But crank sensor would be something that must satisfy the ECU before it will attempt to start the car.

I don't recall - do you have a check engine light on? Can you get the code read? I think your car might be OBD II and borrowing a reader might be tricky.

I dunno

Carl

Just a wild idea, it might be worthwhile to push/pull flex some cables around when it fails and try starting it.

But crank sensor would be something that must satisfy the ECU before it will attempt to start the car.

I don't recall - do you have a check engine light on? Can you get the code read? I think your car might be OBD II and borrowing a reader might be tricky.

I dunno

Carl

he is in a catch 22. The cel only comes on when the car is running, and when its running, it no longer has the fault.

nipper

Went outside and it started right up again. All the might be this and could be that will make me replace all kinds of parts. We know now the battery is not the problem, its new its tight and the cables are clean. It is 3/4 full of gas and if it was not getting gas it would not start.So fuel pump must be good. We are getting spark now but not eariler this afternoon. Put brand new plugs in today as I said eariler. Coil pack must be good or it would not run. Ignitor module must be good too then right. No code or check engine light and never was. I'm lost here.The Subaru dealer will take my next 3 SS checks if I take this one in to the shop. What do I do besides push it over the hill.:lol:

Went outside and it started right up again. All the might be this and could be that will make me replace all kinds of parts. We know now the battery is not the problem, its new its tight and the cables are clean. It is 3/4 full of gas and if it was not getting gas it would not start.So fuel pump must be good. We are getting spark now but not eariler this afternoon. Put brand new plugs in today as I said eariler. Coil pack must be good or it would not run. Ignitor module must be good too then right. No code or check engine light and never was. I'm lost here.The Subaru dealer will take my next 3 SS checks if I take this one in to the shop. What do I do besides push it over the hill.:lol:

your making asumptions - this is a electronics problem.

Electronics have wires and solder joints smaller then a human hair. it doesnt take much heat to make them fail. Let the car warm up, ************ it off then try to restart it. Another scenario. Let the car sit in the hot sun for several hours then about 2pm try to start it.

nipper