Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stupid Mistake!!!

Well I finally got around to replacing my ball joints on my 87 GL Wagon this weekend. They actually came out really smoothly being that I had access to an impact hammer with a pickle fork attachment. However when I put the ball joints back in I forgot to oil the tops to prevent corrosion and also made the mistake of assuming that Napa packed the ball joints with grease. I am really new at this. My question for you guys is should I pull the joints back out to oil the tops or should they be fine. I imagine that it will just make it a little harder next time. Also should I be fine if I just get a needle greaser and grease the ball joints by puncturing the boot and greasing until grease comes out? Also I drove on them for about 6 miles could I of damaged the ball joint if it was not greased? Thanks a lot for the suggestions in advance.

are you sure they don't come with grease in them?

i've never heard of packing grease into a ball joint, but i haven't done that many either. i have a new set i just bought and looked at, they appear ready to go out of the box to me.

i wouldn't pull it apart just to oil the top of the ball joints.

I recently got some ball joints from carquest which were not greased. the boot was seperate also. not an oem looking part though, they were moog.

you can get a needle attachment for your grease gun and squirt some grease in there that way.

DO NOT BUY CARQUEST BALLJOINTS.

They are very very cheap, you have to put the boots on them, they are usually always too big (have to file down the sides a lil bit)

If you want a good balljoint, get Napa Premium. They might cost more, but they use a Nyloc nut on the bottom so you dont need a cotter pin and they are lifetime warrantied so just keep the receipt.

DO NOT BUY CARQUEST BALLJOINTS.

They are very very cheap, you have to put the boots on them, they are usually always too big (have to file down the sides a lil bit)

If you want a good balljoint, get Napa Premium. They might cost more, but they use a Nyloc nut on the bottom so you dont need a cotter pin and they are lifetime warrantied so just keep the receipt.

CAR QUEST is tha DEVIL!!!

Never buy anything from them - they suck and don't care about you or the life of your car, they just want a high dollar for cheap parts!

:banana: