Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Really Dumb Question

I have to change the light bulb (1156)in the right side running light. No problem removing the lense assembly. No problem unlocking the bulb socket. Problem is, I can't get the lens cover off to get at the bulb. It appears that the cover is glued on with some sort of sealent that has turned to concrete with the years. Any easy ways to get the lens off? I don't want to crack the lens, as spares are mighty hard to find in this area. The car in question is a 1987 GL Station Wagon. Any help would be appreciated.

Dog1

Thanks for the replies, but it is a no go. I have the lense unit in my lap and the hole the socket goes into is smaller than the diameter of the 1156 bulb. I know it is the correct bulb, as I have the broken base of the old one. I am replacing the lens as well as the bulb due to an accident that took the lens and old bulb out. Any other guesses?

Dog1

just thought i might say that the 1156 isnt the original bulb.. when i got them I liked the bulb color.. (blue)

i had to widen the hole a little bit and "gently" cram the bulb in..

the factory bulb has the same base as an 1156 but a different glass bulb

sorry for the confusion.. I miss that car!

rllywgn

The 1156 is a turn signal bulb. You need to get the right bulb, the manual says its a 3.8v bulb but gives no #. Its half the size of the 1156 tho.

Too late. It has an 1156 bulb now. I took the other light off and modified the other lense assembly the same way. The guy over at Autozone told me that the 1156 bulb was the one to use. Next time I'm in, I'll quiz him as to what the proper bulb should be. Does anyone out there have the right number for this bulb? Anyone have problems using the 1156 bulb instead?

Dog1

Cougar,

The count is up to seven, but I think I may have the answer. While at Pep Boys , I played on their Sylvania computer and came up with a number 67 Sylvania bulb for the purpose. It's for driving lights , is twelve volts and is rated at 4cp (whatever that is). It's the perfect size for fitting into the unaltered hole. Anyone know if this is the correct answer?

Dog1

Well...

I just wanna Add this: I Use a Whole Different Kind of Bulb there, one almost like this: (But with Shorter Head)

B000CRAVS2.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

It Glows in Neon White, so my Subies seems to have some sort of Neon There... Not exactly the Neon you imagine, t seems to be the House´s Neons in there... but it fit there Perfectly when I was usin´ the "Blue" 9004 Bulbs... Now I Know that those blue lights don´t help to drive safer, instead the Blue Light seems White in the Car´s Lenses and don´t reflect too good in Pavement, specially in wet pavement, so I switched to 9104 Rally Bulbs in the Main Lamp, but I leave the White LEDs at the Corners...

Four years since I installed them, and Counting; and No Damage to Lenses at All. So I Suggest them, ´cos they´re cheap and Leds don´t burn. :)

24830497.jpg&size=2&dhm=1fcbb3f6&hl=en

Yes! it is a 3.5 Watts Bulb in Average... butt Wattage may Differ... This is -or almost- the Original one.

I Used there a Bike Light Bulb... Designed for Bikes, and gettin´ the power from a li´l Generator at the side of the Rear wheel, that bulbs are like this, but of around twelve watts.

I used them ´cos they seems too bright in the Subies... But only last for a month or two... So that´s why I Switched to the LED bulb I show in the past Post.

The stock bulb really runs on 12 volts and is rated at 3.8 watts. Using a higher rated bulb may damage the plastic lens.

So what is the count now for how many members it takes to change a

bulb?

Yep, that was my bad. I read it right from the FSM and put volts instead of watts:rolleyes: Gotta get my glasses checked.........again.

Well...

I just wanna Add this: I Use a Whole Different Kind of Bulb there, one almost like this: (But with Shorter Head)

B000CRAVS2.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

It Glows in Neon White, so my Subies seems to have some sort of Neon There... Not exactly the Neon you imagine, t seems to be the House´s Neons in there... but it fit there Perfectly when I was usin´ the "Blue" 9004 Bulbs... Now I Know that those blue lights don´t help to drive safer, instead the Blue Light seems White in the Car´s Lenses and don´t reflect too good in Pavement, specially in wet pavement, so I switched to 9104 Rally Bulbs in the Main Lamp, but I leave the White LEDs at the Corners...

Four years since I installed them, and Counting; and No Damage to Lenses at All. So I Suggest them, ´cos they´re cheap and Leds don´t burn. :)

Loyale 2.7 Turbo,

Key question....where did you order the LED bulbs from?

Dog1

Loyale 2.7 Turbo,

Key question....where did you order the LED bulbs from?

Dog1

Those sites Looks Good for me... Thanx for the Info! :)

Well... I Found the Leds that fitted exactly instead of both my Subies´ original bulbs with no adaptation at all, just pull the Originals, and install the Led Ones, ... Here. I found them here in Honduras, in one trip I done to San Pedro Sula City, in the Car Parts Stores Area... but I found the Image in Amazon, and I think that Image is a Link to the Page were you can buy them in Amazon, Cheap.

Also, I buy there the Halogens that I use in the place of normal bulbs to the Rear "Backin´" Lights... to see better at night when i´m Backin´ on my Subies... Very Cheap for 50W Halogens with a Standard bulb Base, I don´t use them in front, ´cos they´ll Fry the Plastic Lenses in Prolonged use...

I don´t wanna "steal" this thread, just Help... but for more info about Lightning in my Subies -I Use non Standard Lights- see this Link to my Post about:

Good Luck! :)