Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cam sprocket trick?

ok, i have a spare cam tower sitting around. i figured i would take it apart to see what i should replace when i do my timing belts. cant get the damn sprocket off though to inspect whats back there. any one know any fancy tricks to get those bolts out? im hoping it should be easier on the car with the timing belts still on.

are you using a regular ratchet or wrench?? an impact gun would be more effective.. dont forget that an impact has more effect looseing tight bolts (especially with loctite) so, if you can immobilize the sprocket OK then try setting a good box wrench on it and smacking it with a hammer. If you have the option of using a six point socket or wrench instead of a twelve point, use that.. and of course if you are using a socket, use a breaker bar instead of a ratchet. you dont wanna break the mechanism in the ratchet.

a 6mm bolt
(10mm)

i use one of the bolts to hold it in place while i loosen the others. when you get to the last one you'll have to hold one that yo'uve already loosened and it'll tighten as you loosen the last one. but it'll tighten less than it was before...keep going until you can break the last one without holding any of the other bolts.

on newer EJ engines the cam shaft itself has a notch on it that is perfect for fitting a wrench onto and holding it in place while knocking the cam bolt off (one bolt on the newer motors). never looked to see if the EA series has those but might be worth a look.

10mm socket needed, but 6mm bolt
copy that.

i like the screwdriver best...i'm thining large chisel/digging bar/crow bar. probably better to put the tension on the sprocket than them dinky 6mm bolts.

i've used old timing belts before as well, wrap them around the sprocket and hold on tight. the new gen guys use vice-straps as well.

Also, to keep leverage from totally working against you, have your ratchet-wrench/boxend wrench on the bolt head so that the body of the wrench crosses to the other side of the sprocket (as opposed to sticking straight out from the bolt past the edge of the sprocket). This should give a little counter-torque instead of multiplying the torque trying to turn the sprocket. With this and either GG's T-belt method or a strap wrench, you should be more than able to break loose (or just plain BREAK) that little bolt.

eh, i was brainstorming without having an image of the cam gear in my head. sorry, i forgot about the little screwholes.

but i actually envisioned using a 10mm six point box wrench and yah, a bit of a hammer tap. hold the cam gear or get a partner to, and give it a good sharp tap. it helps alot sometimes in awkward situations.

hmm..... i have been needing to go get some more tools at sears...

haven't we all...

I went to sears with the girlfriend last weekend.. had to get some more clothes for work as most of what I had was wintery type stuff...

she had to drag me kicking and screaming from the tools section.. as we "ha[d] limited funds and are here for a purpose"

:lol::dead:

I bought a cheap, made in china, like $4 rubber strap wrench out of the bargain tool display at the local hardware store and it has held up fine to my abuse. From turning engines over by hand, holding water pump pulleys to get the fan off, oil filters, and my house water filter.

I have had the craftsmans, and they are made well.

I also cast a vote that you need a strap wrench to do the job easily. You'll discover the cam seals when you get the pulleys off. There will be two little bolts holding the seal carrier(?) on. You can take it off even with the cam and head on the engine, to replace the seal.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Bout to tackle this myself.

Flowmastered87GL, I saw your remark about there being, in addition to the cam seals, O rings as well, behind the "oil wall"?

Just back from the parts store today (only had to rob 3 liquor stores on the way home) and didnt know about these. In your experience, do they tend to be reusable or should I hunt them down for when I open this puppy up this weekend?

jmickelct

do they tend to be reusable or should I hunt them down for when I open this puppy up this weekend?
i always replace the orings behind the cam carrier cap. they are always deformed and degraded. although they are usually not brittle. i can't imagine a situation where oil would leak profusely from this area like it could at the cam seal, but while you're in there i'd get it done. they would be much more forgiving than a cam seal if you didn't replace them...but you're right there.

for future reference, you can but the "cam seal kit" or "cam kit" from http://www.thepartsbin.com which has the seal and o-ring with it. that's what i always use. they are cheap enough to always keep a couple on hand.

maybe someone close to you could drop one in the mail so you can have it by the weekend? i'm out of town so i can't.

Also, to keep leverage from totally working against you, have your ratchet-wrench/boxend wrench on the bolt head so that the body of the wrench crosses to the other side of the sprocket (as opposed to sticking straight out from the bolt past the edge of the sprocket). This should give a little counter-torque instead of multiplying the torque trying to turn the sprocket. With this and either GG's T-belt method or a strap wrench, you should be more than able to break loose (or just plain BREAK) that little bolt.

Aah, I see Pat paid his physics bill this month! Verray nice!

Miles Fox wins the Easy Answer prize.

I personally hate the strap wrenches; i've had a couple of gears get messed up with them.

Then there is my solution.... :lol:

I took the subaru lug nut wrench (ya know - the one from the tool kit). Stuck two appropriately sized bolts in two adjacent holes of the cam sprocket, held the lug wrench up there and tack welded them to it. now I have a lug wrench/cam sprocket tool. Works fabulous.

And I HATE strap wrenches.

GD

Then there is my solution.... :lol:

I took the subaru lug nut wrench (ya know - the one from the tool kit). Stuck two appropriately sized bolts in two adjacent holes of the cam sprocket, held the lug wrench up there and tack welded them to it. now I have a lug wrench/cam sprocket tool. Works fabulous.

And I HATE strap wrenches.

GD

perfect fit huh? great idea.

Aah, I see Pat paid his physics bill this month! Verray nice!

Miles Fox wins the Easy Answer prize.

I personally hate the strap wrenches; i've had a couple of gears get messed up with them.

Thanks, Andrew. And I didn't even have to type, "E=MC2"...

Miles Fox' method works fine (my preferred method), except original post said "spare cam carrier"... no engine to have a belt on. GD's modified lug wrench sounds like an innovative variation of the pin-wrench.

yah, thanks on that.. thats something ive been shown in the past, but not enough to think to use.. one of those little differences between a good professional and a shadetree mecahnic.. shade being the operative term at times :- )

but hey, for a shadetree im fairly proud of myself. and i try to know when i dont know enough.. you know?

anyhow thanks on that, itll stick out next time i need it.