Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bolt on Supercharger?

but no kits exist you could probably fab somthing with a little enginuity

Lots of fabrication, TIG welding, lathe and mill skills. Totally not worth the effort for that engine. The pistons can't handle even the measly 7 lbs of boost the stock turbo engines put out. How many N/A short blocks do people have to blow up?....

He asked for bolt-on, and polluted the post-stream with more totally useless jabber that intelligent people will have to sort through when they SEARCH for things.

Have to admit - his lack of basic mechanical insight is funnay tho.

GD

GD, have all the facts before living up to your sig:grin:

There was someone at WCSS6 that had a supercharged 91 Loyale, it kicked a$$. Granted this isnt bolt on, but its for real.

Sure - I didn't say it couldn't be done. And I've seen that custom EA81. Everything I said is there - lots of welding, milling, and fab work. There's a kit made for the Audi A6 my friend has that is a low pressure system - runs at 4 lbs with standard NA pistons.... Still, I wouldn't bother with the EA82, it's far from bolt on, and most "kits" you can buy are in the range of $3,000 to $4,000.... FAR, FAR more than the car is worth. You could easily purchase three or four cars for that money that would already have the horses you would gain, or a WRX front clip.... which IS a bolt in (more or less - LOTS of bolts, but still....)

GD

I really like the idea of it. Over years of production, many makes and models had factory setups - gentle, just for a boost. Mercedes I believe still has a pleasant one. Four cylinders absolutely love to mate with them. Compression doesn't even have to drop much, in event these high spinning gadget fails, car still gets around ok (unlike that crazy freakin turbo:) ).

Build an engine correctly n/a-- everything added is indeed a boost (pun intended.):burnout:

another problem is that ... its a loyale which 90% of the time means SPFI. talk about an overworked fuel system.:-\

It is proven just the opposite...

from my very first tinkerings with a 327 c.i.v8 that had a 292 straight 6 500cfm single barrell-- all the way to 250k no rebuild (and really flying along to 8k rpms smoothly), or the late 60's "economical" ford 289 v8 with very low cfm and racking over 3 times (300k+) no rebuild. All the way to modern times they all have low cfm in common for an extremely durable life.Even an old diesel rig my father had topped out to 2,000,000 miles on the original block with a restricted cfm that gave it 62 mph. After youth is done burning tires, I hope they wise up to this. How is 40 below on the giant intake plenum doing? What is REALLY overworked? The spfi will be creeping up on your rod smackin, valve bangin,piston popping, fuel pump squeezin back door some time soon.... :lol:

It is proven just the opposite...

from my very first tinkerings with a 327 c.i.v8 that had a 292 straight 6 500cfm single barrell-- all the way to 250k no rebuild (and really flying along to 8k rpms smoothly), or the late 60's "economical" ford 289 v8 with very low cfm and racking over 3 times (300k+) no rebuild. All the way to modern times they all have low cfm in common for an extremely durable life.Even an old diesel rig my father had topped out to 2,000,000 miles on the original block with a restricted cfm that gave it 62 mph. After youth is done burning tires, I hope they wise up to this. How is 40 below on the giant intake plenum doing? What is REALLY overworked? The spfi will be creeping up on your rod smackin, valve bangin,piston popping, fuel pump squeezin back door some time soon.... :lol:

I have no idea what you just said, and I read it twice:confused: What I ment is that the Subaru SPFI wouldn't have nearly enough fuel flow to support a supercharger. The thing would probably start to lean out at about 5 psi or so, and have serious issues at twice that.

I have no idea what you just said, and I read it twice:confused: What I ment is that the Subaru SPFI wouldn't have nearly enough fuel flow to support a supercharger. The thing would probably start to lean out at about 5 psi or so, and have serious issues at twice that.

i normally hate to agree with phil but i have no idea what your point was

i normally hate to agree with phil but i have no idea what your point was

okay quoting em all.. i think BGDs point was, that to conservatively supply an engine with air/fuel, is to extend life, viability, and vibrance of the engine..

but then he started talking about forty below, and an intake plenum, and backdoor fuel pumps.. i think he might've tipped back a pint or two tonight :- )

welp, i know i did. :drunk:

Hey kids.

douglas vincent here.....

Yeah, I have had problems with detonation. but my biggest problem was greed! Kept having to have more and more power at the drag strip. Managed a best of a 13.5 at about 100 mph. Not bad for a engine that started at a best of 16.6 @ 79mph!

But I blew up that engine last week with a tad too much nitrous and 12 psi of boost.....

But my new motor just went in. 7.8-1 compression or so, DOHC heads, high flow manifold, pretty much the ghetto works. But no supercharger for the show. Just don't have time to fab up the new mounting bracketry. Damn.

See you at WCSS8!

I have spotted the spfi turbo out there..... it does indeed work. Venturi and pressure satisfying vacuum is complex , making pipes and other intake sources smaller than the norm.I even doubted getting any more performance out of it. They really tuned it in for the little ea82 very good. A bit of power non-extreme and 300k miles of durability. I hope to see it again tuned in for the displacement built.

this video is not of a subaru, but does show the non-lagging supercharger in action on a small v8. The balanced boxer could be a real psycho with it :)

I can't seem to pursue this subject enough. here is video of folks documenting a leaf blower stuck into n/a intake on a dyno with before and after results on an inline 4 and the worlds worst engine (4.3 ltr gm).A leaf blower has a chance of getting its own exhaust in its own blower, so it is even more of a surprise.

Note all engines tested aren't naturally balanced like a boxer 4. A high comp boxer would be benefiting even more... (my guess)

check it out:

http://videos.streetfire.net/toprated/1/ab544e3b-5dff-416d-9cfd-a1ad23ca9564.htm

LOL, the leafblower supercharger...

thats an OLD idea of mine...before i knew what those things sticking out of the hotrods' hoods were, and when i was first having turbocharging explained to me, i said "so its like free power" and was corrected, "no, it robs some power from impeding the exhaust flow.."

my answer was, "well couldnt you put a little leaf blower, with a separate gas engine, in there??" answer: silence. I still wonder about that on opccasion.. but ive seen the silly little electric superchargers... and i know they are worthless..

but to be honest, the supercharger idea has plagued my thoughts since you made the post mentioning the little MB units... im trying to decide what i want to do long term with my car.. and im wondering about converting to LPG (i would need to redo a gas tank then, and my trunk totally needs to be replaced anyhow.. rust has destroyed both rear wuarter panels, and the rust goes up to the mounting area for the rear glass.. so if an LPG conversion means cutting out the trunk, and building a custom one anyhow... then thats just "fixing the rust") and given that.. im wondering how much work it really would be to put a small blower on to give it an extra couple HP... and i know it would be alot of work for little result, but thats exactly what i want..just a small boost of the NA power. all just a pipe dream right now, but i may well be searching for this thread someday... :grin: