Ultimate Subaru Message Board

justy?

Electric Continuously Variable Transmission.

It started as a snowmobile transmission I beleive.... and grew into the Justy back in the late 80's early 90's. Alas it is very sensitive to heat, and even well taken care of they have a near 100% failure rate somewhere around 80,000 miles and up. Sometimes less if mistreated.

The transmission was eventually dropped from the Justy line for the last 94 model. It does live on in japanese micro cars, but the original design was not up to the weight of the Justy.

It is totally unlike any normal "transmission". It's driven by electromagnets, and a metallic "dust" using some weird cone shaped things. It's a real disaster inside, and it was so complex that it's not even dealer serviceable. They can only replace them. Unfortunately the replacement transmissions are impossible to find, and when you can get one the cost is close to $5,000 for a NOS or factory rebuilt unit. Far more than the car is worth.

GD

The CVT has been around for ages in tiny cars and lawn mowers and snow mobiles. What SUbaru did was re invent the belt system. USusally most belts pull, this one pushes. This allows for more HP. CVT's are showing up in toyotas and fords so they have come of age, and will last the life of the car.

Subaru used this really weird electromanet clutch. There was a steel disc, an electro magnet, and somesort of metal dust. The magnet would energize, bond the dust to the flywheel and off you go.

This was much simpler then a torque converter which would still need a pump. SOunded brilliant on paper, didnt work to hot in the real world.

Start looking for a manual tranny now.

nipper

Yeah - the Prius CVT is nothing short of brilliant. It's just a planatary gear set mated to the engine, and a large electric motror/generator. Engine power or electric power can be split up anyway they want between the wheels. Giving you the option of full engine power, full electic power, or a balance - say using part of the engine power to the wheels, and part to run the generator to charge the batteries. It also allows coasting to charge the batteries through the same generator.

But of course this has nothing to do with the ECVT of the Justy.

Having sat for 7 years I would probably assume the transmission is already dead (maybe why it was parked?). 7 years is a LONG time for any sort of automatic to sit - especially that one. I just picked up a 3AT 4WD that sat for almost two years, checked fluids, etc. It drove about 15 miles before the 4WD clutch gave out and I had to tow it. :rolleyes:

GD

7 years is a LONG time for any sort of automatic to sit - especially that one. I just picked up a 3AT 4WD that sat for almost two years, checked fluids, etc. It drove about 15 miles before the 4WD clutch gave out and I had to tow it. :rolleyes:

GD

Really, what happens to auto trannies after that long sitting? And if I ever get an auto that's sat for a long time, is there anything I can do to do this -- putting new fluid in, turning low speed before starting it like engines that have sat, etc, or it is sort of irreversible?

Z

Really, what happens to auto trannies after that long sitting? And if I ever get an auto that's sat for a long time, is there anything I can do to do this -- putting new fluid in, turning low speed before starting it like engines that have sat, etc, or it is sort of irreversible?

Z

Seals dry out. There can be internal rust. Mechanical parts can get frozen or stuck.

nipper

Yeah - ATF draws moisture when it sits for a long time. That moisture causes all kinds of problems with the hydrualic valves inside the tranmission. And seals that normally get fluid when run dry out from lack of exposure to ATF. Etc.

Manuals aren't so prone as the parts are big gears and bronze syncro's and stuff. Also 90 weight gear oil tends to stick to parts a lot longer than ATF does. And they don't have to depend on pressurized fluid running through them, and close tollerance hydraulic bits...

It's best to stick with manuals for the older subaru's in general. The Auto's have real issues even if they haven't sat. Let em sit a while, and it's just agrivates an already troubled design.

GD

From one Justy owner to another, if it runs, take advantage of the MPG and drive it till it drops. On the Justy board people have done the auto to manual swap, but have ran into wiring problems. Just a note, There is a book out listing the all time 50 worst cars manufactured and the Justy with a ECTV made it. No problems with the manual tranny. They all suffer from a poorly designed oil pump. JUST ONE MANS OPINION!!!

You know not what you speak - the Justy is transverse.

GD

Thanks for the prompt correction.. you rump roast!!:lol:

im just razzin, i _did_ say i dont know much about justys... and that just goes to show you haw many subarus I get to see down here in swampy Paranoia-ridden south florida..... i just saw my first carbureted EA-82 the other day!! and i havent seen an OHV soob since my buddy and i had a brat when i was 17...

and it is still WEIRD seeing the XTs with the 4-cylinder in them.. because my dad had an XT6 when i was 9, and that car meant cool japcar to me for a LONG time.. then this car was always my brothers rusted out nasty old subaru, that HAPPENED to be a GL-10 so it was "loaded".. and now im finding out that the non 6-cyl XTs had the same motor as this thing that for years i thought of as a piece of junk.. its just weird.

Ahem. The manual transmission Justies have no problems? Of the four I've had, ALL have had the 2nd-gear synchro grind or give out entirely. But yes, they are great cars. (And what's wrong with it being transverse mounted? There's plenty of room to work around it so long as your car isn't A/C-equipped.)

GINGERLY ,,drive it as is! NO FAST STARTS !! Get info on how to PROPERLY service & maintain that transmission. ENJOY 40 mpg.

Change oil & filter at frequent intervals, to help avoid the oil pump problem, SOME have. I haven't had a problem with one yet. I change every 3k miles. It only costs about $7 & is easy to do yourself. If oil light comes on at idle,, it is showing signs of oil pump failure. Replace right away.