Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel Smell when tank is above 3/4??

Ok, so I don't know exactly when this started, but everytime I completely fill the gas tank in my 95 Legacy wagon, there is a smell of gas inside the car and out. Now, the first thing to know is that the gas cap is only about 4 months old, and it is sealing. You get that nice woosh when you take the cap off. The second thing is that there has been no drop in gas mileage, and the third thing is that there are no visable signs of gas leaking on to the ground. So if the gas cap and filler neck appear to seal, and there is no obvious large leak, where could the smell be coming from? Could there be a vent hose that is cracked?

Keih

I would recomend checking your fuel tanks evap canister.I am not sure if that is the correct name for it but it collects excess gas vapor from the tank.Over time I know they can get old and may need to get a new one.I am not 100% sure that is your fix but I have found that to be the case in quite a few vehicles with the same symtoms.Good luck.

Did you replace this cap four months ago because of the smell? If it started after replaceing cap I think I would try another cap.

Ok, so I don't know exactly when this started, but everytime I completely fill the gas tank in my 95 Legacy wagon, there is a smell of gas inside the car and out. Now, the first thing to know is that the gas cap is only about 4 months old, and it is sealing. You get that nice woosh when you take the cap off. The second thing is that there has been no drop in gas mileage, and the third thing is that there are no visable signs of gas leaking on to the ground. So if the gas cap and filler neck appear to seal, and there is no obvious large leak, where could the smell be coming from? Could there be a vent hose that is cracked?

Keih

Did you replace this cap four months ago because of the smell? If it started after replaceing cap I think I would try another cap.

Another popular problem is the fill neck rotting at the tank.

Check the fuel lines adn see if the smell is from the front or the rear of the car.

nipper

Cap was replaced because the seal was shot. The smell started long after the replacment.

Also, as I said there is still an obvious sealinf of the tank based on the swoosh of air when pulling the cap off.

And, if the filler hose was rotted at all I would know. I top off my tank the best I can because of how much I commute. Not on purpose, but I have already filled it to the point where the filler neck was full to within 1 inch of the top. I would expect it to leak out somewhere visable and so far it hasn't.

I'm gonna check the canister and try to pin point where the smell is. With 198,250 miles on the car it could be the canister.

Keith

i had the same problem for awhile...and then it turned into a leak if i fill my tank.....mine leaks where the filler neck connects to the tank....its a hard to get to place...but u can stuff your hand above the rear mustache and feel a rubber part...unless its just my car that has it....anyways something must have rotted and now im screwed

i had the same problem for awhile...and then it turned into a leak if i fill my tank.....mine leaks where the filler neck connects to the tank....its a hard to get to place...but u can stuff your hand above the rear mustache and feel a rubber part...unless its just my car that has it....anyways something must have rotted and now im screwed

Its a common source of a leak

nipper

I had the same problem in my 97 Legacy GT wagon, and it turned out to be the gasket where the fuel pump assembly went into the tank. I had the fuel pump replaced and they somehow managed to not line up the gasket. It took about 6 months before it became noticeable. There were no visible leaks and the fuel smell seemed to be coming from the front of the car. My Subie mechanic jacked it up to a rediculous sideways angle after I filled the tank and we watched the fuel spill out from the top of the tank. Took more time to find the problem than to fix it.

Not to threadjack or anything but I finally got this same problem fixed in my 94 wagon. Had the dealer drop the tank and fibreglass it up around where the filler neck meets the tank. Since I've got no place or tools to do a job like that myself I sucked up the dealer price and had it done. A new tank would have cost 3x as much all told so whatcanyado?