Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Automatic to 5sp. d/r

I'm looking to do a transmission swap on a 91 Loyale. Going from leaky auto 3sp. to a 5sp d/r from my blown up 88 Loyale 3 door coup.

I've read all the posts and I'm more confused than ever. I guess I'll have to just wing it. I think I understand that I'll have to change the front axle shafts as they are different spine from the auto to manual? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I have checked and my rears are the same, so that should be ok. Anyone have any idea if the drive shafts are the same lengths going from a 3 door sedan to a wagon or if I even need to change it. I also have read several posts regarding removal of the steering column to do the pedal change. The brackets look the same in both cars. I was wondering if anyone has ever just removed the longer pivot shaft and used it to convert the auto's bracket for clutch. I removed all pedals,shaft and brackets on mine without removing the column. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ok, first question, is your '88 coupe a turbo? If so, then yes, the final drive gearing in the tranny will match your rear diff. If its NA, check the gearing on the rear diff in the coupe. If its a 3.9 final drive, then you'll have to swap the rear diff, seeing as most of the 3ATs were a 3.7 final drive. The rear diff is a direct bolt in for the rear end. Now, for the actual tranny swap. From your donor car, you'll need the following list:

transmission

instrument cluster

shift linkages

pedal cluster

center console

flywheel and clutch assembly

clutch cable

transmission mounts and crossmember

driveshaft

You mention that you think you need to swap your axles. I believe the 3AT (all of the nonturbo ones IIRC) have a 23 spline DOJ, whereas the turbo have a 25 spline. SO you should be fine on the axles. You'd be surprised at how a direct bolt in a tranny swap is. I did a complete 4EAT automatic to FT4wd 5-speed dual range RX transmission into my '89 RX. It was a drop out and bolt in procedure but don't take it lightly. This swap is pretty intense if you're doing it by yourself, especially since transmissions are heavy! The one pointer for you that I have is, when it comes to installing the pedal cluster, its easier to remove the steering column assembly then to try and work around it. It might seem difficult but by no means is it that hard. I'm sure other people will jump in and give other pointers as well but this should give you a good heads up on what to look for and what you're getting ready to dive into, head first. Good luck!

In addition to the above list:

You will only need the front section of the driveshaft.

You will also need the manual speedo cable - it's longer.

You will need to rig up a DL style return spring for the clutch fork as you don't have a hill holder.

The 5 speed D/R from the coupe is probably the crappy 1.2:1 low range, and may or may not be the 3.7 diff ratio. Wagon and sedan D/R were 3.9, but the coupe's were usually 1.2:1 low and 3.7 diff. You will have to check.

Axles are all the same except for turbo cars that had the 25 spline inner DOJ.

GD

Thanks guys. I knew I'd get a good response. This site is awesome! I checked and both rear ends are 3.9:1 and both cars are also SPFI to answer your questions. I was also wondering whether my back up lights will work after the swap. I assume there is a plug on the 5sp. tranny, but don't know if the automatic wagon will have a matching plug. I did remember the neutral switch though. I do know my old coup would try to start without the clutch pushed in. Thanks again

I recently did the back-up lights on my auto to d/r conversion and it was a little confusing. I ended up cutting off the plug on the transmission reverse switch assembly, soldering on a couple of feet of wire to each of the 2 leads, drilling a hole through the front left of the sheet metal surrounding the shfter location, covering the wires with heat shrink (doubled up for the bit that is through the hole) and bringing the wires around to the left over electrical connector. You can use the auto shift mechanism to tell which 2 pins to use or a wiring diagram and verify with a jumper that the back-up lights go on. I just soldered the ends of the two leads individually and jammmed them as pins into the auto electrical connector.

Thanks guys. I knew I'd get a good response. This site is awesome! I checked and both rear ends are 3.9:1 and both cars are also SPFI to answer your questions. I was also wondering whether my back up lights will work after the swap. I assume there is a plug on the 5sp. tranny, but don't know if the automatic wagon will have a matching plug. I did remember the neutral switch though. I do know my old coup would try to start without the clutch pushed in. Thanks again

I was wondering if anyone knew if there was is a difference in automatic transmissions. A friend of mine told me last night he has a newly rebuilt tranmission out of a 2wd loyale. I don't know if this would work in my 4wd 91 loyale. Is there any way to identify the difference before removing mine. I'd rather have the 5sp dr but it would save alot of work for now.

Well, your rear driveshaft won't have a place to be connected to the 2wd trans.

What's wrong with you 3-door vehicle? Might be easier to swap your loyale motor into the 3-door.

I was wondering if anyone knew if there was is a difference in automatic transmissions. A friend of mine told me last night he has a newly rebuilt tranmission out of a 2wd loyale. I don't know if this would work in my 4wd 91 loyale. Is there any way to identify the difference before removing mine. I'd rather have the 5sp dr but it would save alot of work for now.

i don't know anything about the 3sp transmissions but i'd bet they easily swap. i don't even think the 3speeds have a TCU do they? even if it did have a TCU i would first guess they are identical anyway and second the plugs would likely be the same and you could just plug in the 2WD TCU if it mattered (doubtful).

moosens, just remember to search for "moosens +transmission +swap" and it should come up :)

the three speed automatics have no TCU, simple little slushbox. they are also (from what I hear) not really incredibly reliable beyond 100K, 200K, long mileage.. they are easier to kill than any of your alternatives, from what I hear. Mines got 140 on it and has no problems yet, but thats what ive read here..

moosens, just remember to search for "moosens +transmission +swap" and it should come up

Gee,thanks :rolleyes: If that's the case then why keep this thread going???????;)

Sometimes people DO search and find it too time consuming for too little of a reward.

Here's the reward from the exact search you just suggested to me:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/search.php?searchid=338063

Look familiar?

:lol:

Like I was going to say,let's keep this thread going and add all you can that pertains to the swap then it'll be THE thread to keep.

Good day.

Can we archive this thread?

I know I'm going to be doing the same swap so I'm going to print this when it's time.

Good thread,good info.

+1

Got an '88 GL10 Wagon 2WD Auto here. Plan is to do Manual tranny swap and convert to 4WD. Have the rear suspension stuff, collecting the tranny swap pieces, getting close on those parts.

well crap, why is that? ive found threads of mine in the past like that. bookmarking works too..

the point I was trying to make was that the thread doesnt go anywhere, if you can find it again... obviously that isnt always easy, but bookmarking is the answer if the search engine is a little more obtuse than I ASSumed. oops :rolleyes: My apologies :grin:

Today I pulled the 5sp dr out of my 3-door. It actually wasn't that bad. The worst thing was getting the angle right & not knowing how heavy it was going to be. It was pretty easy getting the axles off the splined shaft. I thought I'd have to pull the wheels,calipers,bearings and etc. I actually read the manual and it worked great. If anyone else is looking to do this, make sure you drain the tranny first or it will all run out the rear after you pull the driveshaft. (learned the hard way!) One question though... are the bellhousings the same from auto to manual? They look the same. Didn't know whether to pull it or not.