Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oxygen sensor stripped threads

I took my car into a dealer yesterday because the check engine light came on after a hiccup in acceleration while merging onto the freeway. The dealership told me that the oxygen sensor was malfunctioning and needed to be replaced, which I gave them the okay to do. They called later and said that the threads had been stripped and that they may have to replace the whole catalytic converter for $1000. Needless to say, I thought this was a little fishy and having a hard time figuring out how I should have to pay such an exorbitant amount for what sounds like a mechanics mistake. Has anyone else had a problem with stripping the threads on the catalytic converter when replacing an oxygen sensor? If so, is there anyway to get around replacing the whole catalytic converter? Is this a common problem or does this sound like a mechanics mistake?

they have three options,

1, try and tap the hole and hope the sensor threads take hold

2, put in a helicoil or weld on a new bung.

3, buy you a new cat.

I'm a mechanic, and i've seen how a dealership will try to get you to pay for their mistakes, but if they pulled the sensor, and stripped it themselves, you are entitled to have your car back in the condition you left it, so if that means they replace the cat, good for you, bad for them, but they have to foot the bill, not you. and don't take no for an answer.

I took my car into a dealer yesterday because the check engine light came on after a hiccup in acceleration while merging onto the freeway. The dealership told me that the oxygen sensor was malfunctioning and needed to be replaced, which I gave them the okay to do. They called later and said that the threads had been stripped and that they may have to replace the whole catalytic converter for $1000. Needless to say, I thought this was a little fishy and having a hard time figuring out how I should have to pay such an exorbitant amount for what sounds like a mechanics mistake. Has anyone else had a problem with stripping the threads on the catalytic converter when replacing an oxygen sensor? If so, is there anyway to get around replacing the whole catalytic converter? Is this a common problem or does this sound like a mechanics mistake?

Hello:

This sounds kinda fishy to me as well, moreover I had mine replaced with nary a problem. I am no mechanic, but it seems like they should be able to make it work; Back in the old days we used to use what was called a helia coil (not sure on this spelling)for strip out situations, but I don't know if they still do this or not.Good luck!

John

If that O2 sensor was replaced previously it may have gotten messed up then or overtightened or galled or no antisieze or something. Like any service industry the dealer is under constant pressure to do more in less time and rather than spend time trying to free the thing up they may have just really laid on it with a breaker bar or impact wrench or something and whoops!

this is first time i can remember some one taking the car in for o2 service and the dealer didn't say right away that "you needed a new cat". they always say "you need a new cat", it's the standard. 1000$ vs. 100$ ? they must get bonus points for selling cats.

i bet the threads are not even stripped. "you need a new cat".

fairly easy for these to strip even though the bung is iron. it is repairable though they won't repair it. they'll replace the $1,000 part and labor instead of welding on a new $5 bung for the O2 sensor. all exhaust shops carry these O2 sensor bungs, i've had them give me one for free before when i stopped in and asked. if the dealer won't fix it, drive it to an exhaust shop (call around first and try to find and honest guy) and they'll weld a new bung in place for pennies.

if you can't find a nice guy to do this for you for the right price (under $100), then you can JB weld it in place yourself (i do NOT recommend this method but it would probably work...for a bit). or you can find a used converter off the internet or from someone on here and install it. i bought an exhaust header earlier this year for about $100 (shipped to my door) with an O2 sensor bung in it from someone on the boards here.

$1,000 is rediculous