Ultimate Subaru Message Board

making power on ea82t

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whats the most reliable power you can get out of a stock internals ea81t, and what are the differences between that and the regular ea81? they sound like an interesting little motor.

Basically there is nothing different internally between an EA81 and the turbo model. That being said, I don't think anyone has bothered trying to blow one up, but I know for a fact that it will last longer than the EA82T.

Basically there is nothing different internally between an EA81 and the turbo model. That being said, I don't think anyone has bothered trying to blow one up, but I know for a fact that it will last longer than the EA82T.

Definately - stock they were 95 HP, but with a little tuning and some head porting, etc they can easily outrun a stock EA82T at 115 HP, and I would imagine 120 or a little more isn't out of the question on stock internals.

That supercharged RAM engine is using modified stock heads, full 9.7:1 compression, and 7 psi of boost with no intercooler. Try that on an EA82T :rolleyes:

GD

That supercharged RAM engine is using modified stock heads, full 9.7:1 compression, and 7 psi of boost with no intercooler. Try that on an EA82T :rolleyes:

GD

Yah. :dead:

I like the EA81T-XT idea. THERE is your 80's STi... after looking through that RAMEngines website, ive decided to stop making offhand remarks about OHV engines. They were never meant in any seriousness anyhow, I just like my camshafts is all.

What exactly are you wanting to know? Are you looking for ideas for mods?

Patrick

I'm always looking for ideas.. I know ea82t will not be enough for me after awhile.

ea81t eh?? more info?? 1600cc huh? i'm not sure how that would work.

I'm always looking for ideas.. I know ea82t will not be enough for me after awhile.

ea81t eh?? more info?? 1600cc huh? i'm not sure how that would work.

ea81 == 1800CC

right? i thought it was 1600 until about a month ago, but I thought I had been corrected...

was the 1600 the ea71?

If I am wrong, I want to know.

I use regular in my Rx... is that a problem? :-\ I hope not.

I'll throw in my 2 cents on the EA82T... I hate it. like lots. This has to be the worst idea for a motor subaru ever came up with. With the poor cooling of the closed deck combined with the crappy rads they threw in these cars its amazing they last as long as they do. For me, even intercooled stock its hard to fix all the temper tantrums it throws at me. Forst the purge is crazed, then its leaking coolant out of the radiator,then the coolant bypass blows, then it blows the colling hose to the turbo, now it leaks from under the motor.. now its got an intake leak... this thing never stops trying to make me buy parts for it. Then again it does have a touch over 212K on it and I havent really done anything to it ever.:rolleyes:

Now I'm just hoping the guy with the EJ25 calls me back:banana:

Definately - stock they were 95 HP, but with a little tuning and some head porting, etc they can easily outrun a stock EA82T at 115 HP, and I would imagine 120 or a little more isn't out of the question on stock internals.

GD

I'm running 15psi of boost from a TD04-13G with OEM Headgaskets, Intercooled and putting out more than 200hp, no problems here.

THE KEY TO THE EA82-T = ENGINE MANANGMENT, the stock computer MUST go.

like anything you build up it must be done right, no engine can withstand ************ty tuning for long when supercharged or turbo charged.

Right on - I hope it holds on for you. Now do a write up on how others can do the same so I can link people to when they ask how to get power from one :)

GD

I have threads around here somewhere with all the ingredients needed.

I am however in the process of getting even more power with a brand new short block, bigger turbo, head studs, and some other tricks right now ;)

I have threads around here somewhere with all the ingredients needed.

I am however in the process of getting even more power with a brand new short block, bigger turbo, head studs, and some other tricks right now ;)

the not stock engine management you mention is the E-manage right? on which you have a mighty big thread :-p

THe thread was with my E-manage blue, I now use the ultimate there are reasons behind this.

The EA82-T Computer System uses a not so standard MAF Voltage range for fueling and to get all the power possible and really open up the EA82T you need to delete the MAF and convert to Map/Pressure, thats why you need the e-manage.

The ultimate just makes things so much easier and better.

I will eventually get a new write up on the ultimate installation and what not when things slow down, im working 12-15hour days right now.

THe thread was with my E-manage blue, I now use the ultimate there are reasons behind this.

The EA82-T Computer System uses a not so standard MAF Voltage range for fueling and to get all the power possible and really open up the EA82T you need to delete the MAF and convert to Map/Pressure, thats why you need the e-manage.

The ultimate just makes things so much easier and better.

I will eventually get a new write up on the ultimate installation and what not when things slow down, im working 12-15hour days right now.

please do, as I am looking forward to it :)

the E-manage doesn't look/sound very expensive and I really like the fact that it is from a dependable manufacturer instead of MS which you have to build yourself (please, no MS discussions!)

• 3 weeks later...

okay so I'm listening to some advice.. and have almost decided to hunt down the ea81T

curious will the ea82 heads work here? I'd like to use that block and have MPFI. or are the heads what makes the 82 suck?

also how hard is an mpfi conversion to spfi??

the injector for spfi is almost always on am I correct? and probably increases out -put with revolution?

got to be simpler than wiring in an EJ not too fond of the idea of making DIS sytem work in a distributer car...

The EA82 heads bolt up completely different than the EA81 heads. There's also no need to use them for MPFI as the EA81T already has MPFI. The EA81Ts have a single port intake, however there's injector bosses in the heads for all four injectors. Not quite as nice as the EA82 setup, but I don't think it'll make a whole lot of difference.

I wouldn't put SPFI on a Turbo. The SPFI injector probably won't flow enough for a turbo. The SPFI injector isn't always on, its just like the MPFI injectors. Computer controls how long the injector is open by switching the ground.

okay I was sure I saw that ea81t was spfi...

thanks for the correction. so EA81T would almost be a direct bolt in..

add mt t3/t4.. and some coolling and it's a party!!

most folks wouldn't even know the ea81 was a swap. (not at the races anyway!!)