Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Has anyone made any advancements in their turbo installs?

Hello again everyone! I was just inquiring as to the condition(s) of the arious turbo installs that were going on, on the forum in the past few months. I remember lots of people having big builds on their EAs while others opted for complete motor swaps. It's always nice to hear about the various snags and triumphs with the older subarus. I have some plans for mine, but can't do anything about it until I get back stateside, one of which, is to install one of these turbochargers:http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT25/GT2560R_466541_1.htm., along with some fuel management items(bigger injectors, Walbro fuel pump, maybe a e-Manage Ultimate or Blitz R-Fit),oil catch can, and a better flowing exhaust(probably 3" crush-bent w/ 2 high flow cats) to include a custom exhaust manifold and uppipe. So until then, I'm just interested to hear and see what everyone is doing while I float aimlessly out here in the Pacific. Have I mentioned that I miss my GL-10 lately?:grin: Anyway, if anyone wouldn't mind sharing their stories of customization, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Oh yeah, has anyone dynoed their EA with a TD04 yet?

Patrick

mine has been running rather srong lately, the onlyissue im having at the moment is the clutch. which will be swapped for a stage two setup soon, hopefully this week. only other issue ive had has nothing to do the turbo upgrade, i need to reseal the oil pump and the oil pan, again.

mine has been running rather strong lately, the only issue im having at the moment is the clutch. which will be swapped for a stage two setup soon, hopefully this week. only other issue ive had has nothing to do the turbo upgrade, i need to reseal the oil pump and the oil pan, again.

Well, that most certainly, does not sound like fun. Where are you getting your stage 2 clutch from, if you don't mind me asking? If it is a secret, that's cool too. No big deal. Also, forgive me, because it has been awhile, and since most of the time my son keeps me busy and away from the computer, but what kind of turbo did you upgrade to, and most importantly, do you like it? Now that my son is sleeping alot more, maybe I can keep up with what is going on.

Patrick

The high comp motor in my dorothy blew. I had a stock VF7 with an SPFI shortblock. Ended up with blown rings. It could be because the milage of the SPFI block was unknown. A stock block is going back in.

Wow! I'm sorry to hear that. How long did she last? I'm familiar with the blown rings thing. A friend of mine, whom I helped to install a Greddy bolt on turbo kit on his 98 Nissan 240SX(KA24DE), decided to turn the boost up and it wound up blowing the rings, TWICE! The car pulled strong though, with the boost turned up to 0.69 BAR(10 PSI), but the kit came preset at 0.41 BAR(6 PSI). I tried to prewarn him both times, but no dice. So I told him that it wasn't my car and I couldn't tell him what to do with it and let him make his own decision. I'm not saying that is what you did, just a fun little story.

Have you checked into any aftermarket forged pistons, or both pistons & rods for the SPFI block? That may be the missing link in keeping those boosted high comp blocks together. Then, the only thing that you really have to worry about is the HG basically. Well, I hope that you are able to revive her and extract some solid ponies out of her.

Patrick

I don't even have my VF11 in yet!! I got the SS header on, then ran into the problem of not having an o2 sensor port. That is being solved with a 3" DP, but I have to work to get that in, and thats just to get it running on the stock turbo. From there I'll turn up the boost a little and work on getting my WRX IC in there. Once all that is done I can look at the VF11 and then MegaSquirt 'n' Spark. I'll keep everyone updated in a seperate thread once meaninful progress is made.

Current Mods:

BoostedBalls SS header

MSD Blaster 3 coil

custom 2.5" exhaust w/ Flowmaster muffler

K&N stock panel filter in cut airbox

EA82 5 speed swap

Lots of gauges

I was able to get my fresh long block dropped in the RX a couple weeks ago. Ihave done some fabrication work on the exhaust and intake system. The entire exhaust system is TIG welded stainless. That includes the Audi external wastegate and separate down pipe. The cams are Delta grinds and the heads have been lightly ported.

I heard the engine breath life the other day. I didn't expect it to fire at the time, I didn't have a radiator in it. I was quick enough to shut it down in like 3 seconds. I got it all together and I'm totally redoing the crankcase ventalation and I think that's what's causing the engine to shut down after it runs for about 10 seconds. I got rained out on the project so I'll have to look over a vacuum diagram to make sure everything is hooked up right. For the next time I get a chance to work on it.

im getting my clutch kit from brake and clutch of ashville. they are the only people ive found that will make one for the old school subies. and the price is less than what i can get a stock set for.

as far as what i am running, i have a stock engine, spyder manifold with the xt6 throttle body, nissan 280zx fuel injectors, td04 turbo, 4" bellmouth into a full 3" turbo back exhaust, front mount intercooler for an 04 wrx. soon ill be rebuilding my headers and hopefully ill be able to start to get the parts to build my new engine, im looking at forged pistons, over sized vavles, delta cams, and a mild port and polish. there will be a few other tweeks here and there as well

Not to hijak the thread, but I have the capability to port heads and manifolds if anyone is interested for their projects. I'll have pics soon and numbers for my work before the end of the quarter hopefully.

Oh and clutch wise, Clutchnet.com used to list all the old subarus, but they are hard to get a hold of and their new page doesn't list our cars anymore.

me and kingbobdole are both working on turbo setups for the xt-6 but it appears that were both going nowhere at present

Funny, my XT6 turbo project is in the same boat. Motors out, turbo's apart.... No forward motion. Illegal play. 15 yard penalty. We did do a computer dyno of what the motor should put out when complete and it came in just under 250hp. God I hope the case holds up.:-\

Funny, my XT6 turbo project is in the same boat. Motors out, turbo's apart.... No forward motion. Illegal play. 15 yard penalty. We did do a computer dyno of what the motor should put out when complete and it came in just under 250hp. God I hope the case holds up.:-\
holy ************ at what boost level and what other mods are you planning?

Lattest Dyno of my beast was 265whp@18psi in Front Wheel Drive

mods :

Stock Block (balanced and blueprinted)

NPR Rings and Bearings

TD04-13G Turbo (05 WRX)

WRX Top Mount Intercooler

Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump

AEM A-FPR

Custom Turbo Header

Stock WRX Downpipe w/CAT

Custom 2.25" Stanless Exhaust

Delta 272 Cams

Dual Row Radiator w/Dual Electric Fan Conversion

XT6 Clutch Kit w/EA82T Flywheel

3.90 Dual Range Trans

E-Manage Ultimate Engine Managment

That dyno was at 18psi and detonation was hitting hard so I had to back it down due to my Injectors being maxed out time for even bigger ones!?!?!

Lattest Dyno of my beast was 265whp@18psi in Front Wheel Drive

mods :

Stock Block (balanced and blueprinted)

NPR Rings and Bearings

TD04-13G Turbo (05 WRX)

WRX Top Mount Intercooler

Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump

AEM A-FPR

Custom Turbo Header

Stock WRX Downpipe w/CAT

Custom 2.25" Stanless Exhaust

Delta 272 Cams

Dual Row Radiator w/Dual Electric Fan Conversion

XT6 Clutch Kit w/EA82T Flywheel

3.90 Dual Range Trans

E-Manage Ultimate Engine Managment

That dyno was at 18psi and detonation was hitting hard so I had to back it down due to my Injectors being maxed out time for even bigger ones!?!?!

Well, you did NOT list upgraded fuel injectors in your list.. If you have ALL THAT, and haven't thrown in some Z-car fuel injectors yet, then what are you doing on the computer, man??? go to the junkyard! pretty well any bosch fuel injector should do the trick, the Z-car is NOT your only source of those.. some minimal research turns up alot of results. It is not something I've researched in much detail myself yet, but I also own an EFI 280Z, and know that the injector, if swappable with that one, is ALOT more commonly available than simply from the Nissan. Bosch L-jetronic style Fuel Injection has been used on a car or two...billion..

This is so awesome!!! People are making leaps and bounds with their old school subarus. That makes me happy and gives me hope for my future project.

Goodness Gracious Steve!!! 265 whp!!! On 2-1/4" exhaust!!!! That is just amazing!!! Man I wish I lived closer. I'd love to see that thing in action. I was thinking about upping the exhaust size on mine to 2.5"(with hi-flow cats of course) from the #2 cat back to the muffler and getting a 3" DP built. Congrats man!!! Sounds like you have a real winner.

I think that I am only going to be running a mild setup compared to yours, but I suppose that I really need to look into the Greddy e-Manage Ultimate and some 280zx injectors. It makes me kinda wonder what kind of power output my GL-10 has right now with it's current setup? Hmmmm.....*sounds of hamster wheel turning*

Skishop69, that really sounds like an intersting setup. Maybe you, jeffast123, and kingbobdole should all put your heads together for an ultimate turbo XT6 build. I think that you guys are on to something.

Everyone, keep the stories coming. You guys don't know the extent of joy that you have just brought to my life.

Patrick

Well, you did NOT list upgraded fuel injectors in your list.. If you have ALL THAT, and haven't thrown in some Z-car fuel injectors yet, then what are you doing on the computer, man??? go to the junkyard! pretty well any bosch fuel injector should do the trick, the Z-car is NOT your only source of those.. some minimal research turns up alot of results. It is not something I've researched in much detail myself yet, but I also own an EFI 280Z, and know that the injector, if swappable with that one, is ALOT more commonly available than simply from the Nissan. Bosch L-jetronic style Fuel Injection has been used on a car or two...billion..

I left out lots of stuff, when I posted last night I was tired :confused: Theres a thread somewhere with my complete list, its just too long to keep listing LOL

I need to get off my arse and make another website for the car.

Yeah I do have upgraded injectors allready, and soon I will be getting some 450cc ones from a company in california.

some of the mods I left out :

MSD Ignition

8mm Plug Wires

Perrin Boost Controller

Wideband O2 Monitoring via E-Manage Ult.

Deleted MAF Converted to Map/Pressure System

Port Matched Intake Manifold

Gen3 Ported Heads

High RPM Valve Springs

3-angle Valve Job

I'm sure I left out some small stuff, but that should clear things up lol

holy ************ at what boost level and what other mods are you planning?

That will be forged pistons (N/A), moly rings, stainless valves, ported heads, balanced, custom intake, 3" downpipe, intercooler, walbro pump, MSD pump controller, boost controller, Z injectors and 7 - 10psi boost with the larger TD03 and delta cams. We're also thinking about running a Jacobs Ign sys and changing to DIS. The real power producing area is the intake and how you port the heads. If it can't breath, it can't run. I always tell my customers to spend the money on the intake and heads it will always pay you back. :banana:

That will be forged pistons (N/A), moly rings, stainless valves, ported heads, balanced, custom intake, 3" downpipe, intercooler, walbro pump, MSD pump controller, boost controller, Z injectors and 7 - 10psi boost with the larger TD03 and delta cams. We're also thinking about running a Jacobs Ign sys and changing to DIS. The real power producing area is the intake and how you port the heads. If it can't breath, it can't run. I always tell my customers to spend the money on the intake and heads it will always pay you back. :banana:

You will need bigger injectors, the Z ones arent enough for bigger than a TD04 let alone a TD04 at more than 10psi with light cams.......

I've tried and tested this.

honestly i'm probably gonna do a twin turbo setup i don't think your going to get enough volume out of a tdo3 for the er27

The TDO3 is smaller than the TD04, ( so there won't be an injector prob) but there are two AR versions of the 03. One at .47 and the other at .63. I talked with a couple of turbo shops and ran some numbers and the .63 TD03 will supply enough flow (which is the one I have).

skishop69, where do you get your manifolds ported at? I have been looking into this company in Pennsylvania that offers a process called "Extrude Honing." Basically, they use a clay or putty material and force it through the runners at very high pressure levels.This removes material from the runners and also leaves behind a smooth, polished finish. I am really considering having this done to my EA82T manifold as it seems like it is worth the price and downtime. Here is a link: http://www.extrudehone.com/

Patrick

• 3 weeks later...