Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New subie in my future.....thoughts?

So I've driven the same 84 subie wagon around since I was 16. Its been really a great ride and it taught me alot about car repair. It has saved me thousands by being cheap to operate and has hardly broken down. I'm thinking after this next summer when I get back from Alaska with some more cash I might try and replace her. What are you thoughts? Part of me wants to drive this car till the tranny or engine or something major goes. The other part of me wants to get a new subie before I'm forced to.

New Subies I'm considering.....

02 WRX wagon

Brand new Legacy or Outback

a vehicle with the 2.2 in it

What are used WRXs going for? I haven't really looked into it.

What price are brand new or nearly brand new Outbacks and Legacys going for?

What is the newest year vehicle I can get with the 2.2?Other good years?

Thoughts on what the best vehicle would be? I go skiing and camping frequently and like wagons because I can fit more stuff in them.

Carr Subaru in Beaverton, Or. has new Outbacks posted for anywhere from $21,000 to $24,000, just depends on what options you want. The 2.5i basic will be at the lower end and the regular 2.5i will be closer to the $24k, but then you get the heated seats, trip computer and what not. To get the 2.5i Limited you will be closer to $27,000. Used WRX's range from $13,000 on up, just depends on the year and the title.

You can get the 2.2 in the legacy up to 1999 and in the impreza up to 2001.

I know you are not anywhere near Carr Subaru, but there has to be somebody in your neck of the woods that would have similar prices, maybe even better.

Hope this helps, if I am incorrect in any of my information please correct me. I will then update my post to say the same thing and tell you "that's what said in the first post".

2005+ Outbacks and Legacys are a big step up design and refinement wise.

Beware of used WRX's which are sometimes the victim of inexperienced drivers who think 0-60 acceleration is their reason for being. Buy one from an old guy.....They are also very expensive to insure.

Interesting post. I think ,in the mix, you should also consider a Forester. Don't let the suv appearance fool you. It's an impreza underneath. And, if you like to tinker, a lot of go-fast stuff made for the WRXes will also work on the Forester. To me, it could use some stiffer anti-sway bars, but other than that - they drive and handle great - quick too (the turbo ones) If you keep your foot outta the boost range though - you will get decent mileage.

If you didn't want a wagon, I'd suggest you look at the WRX TR sedan. Again, with your mechanical experience you could build it up as you want it and at your own rate.

I LOVE my 06 WRX wagon so far. Just last week I had 300 lbs of topsoil in the back, this weekend I'm gonna autoX it! It can do anything! hah!

Carl

So I've driven the same 84 subie wagon around since I was 16. Its been really a great ride and it taught me alot about car repair. It has saved me thousands by being cheap to operate and has hardly broken down. I'm thinking after this next summer when I get back from Alaska with some more cash I might try and replace her. What are you thoughts? Part of me wants to drive this car till the tranny or engine or something major goes. The other part of me wants to get a new subie before I'm forced to.

New Subies I'm considering.....

02 WRX wagon

Brand new Legacy or Outback

a vehicle with the 2.2 in it

What are used WRXs going for? I haven't really looked into it.

What price are brand new or nearly brand new Outbacks and Legacys going for?

What is the newest year vehicle I can get with the 2.2?Other good years?

Thoughts on what the best vehicle would be? I go skiing and camping frequently and like wagons because I can fit more stuff in them.

For my 2 cents or maybe 1.5 ;)

If you have been keeping a 84 running for these many years, get yourself a 90-94 Legacy wagon with the 2.2. These are very easy to work on and are virtually bullet proof. Then take the balance of the $$ you were going to spend on a car and invest in and watch it grow. You are only 22 years old and if you start investing now you will be shocked how compounding interest will grow your money. Then you can invest in appreciating assets like real-estate rather then depreciating vehciles.

i say listen to rweddy.....

whatever you buy make sure it barely puts a dent in your disposable income. pay cash, don't make payments. you'll thank yourself in the future. cars are fun, they're great i like playing with mine...but they aren't worth what most americans are paying for them either.

i'd get a 2.2 (i did a year and a half ago for my wife when we got married), those things are rock solid. if you want something to last a really long time and have cash, but something with a blown motor and have a CCR 2.2 installed. brand new 2.2 and you're set.

hey we're all different, so whatever you want. spend some time looking you can get great deal on whatever you want...high dollar new turbo or older 2.2...either way keep driving your current ride and look for a great deal. if you wait until you have car troubles then you're pushed into buying whatever you can find at higher prices.

Find a 92-94 Touring Wagon. They all have autos (:rolleyes:) but they are a turbo wagon. You could always pick one up cheap and do a 5MT swap.

I agree, these are great rides, I would love to find one and then do the swap but 5mt turbo boxes are hard to find also. But that combo would be awsome!!

If you're considering an '02 WRX, you might also consider an '02 or '03 TS wagon. Relative to the WRX, the non-turbo is:

-Cheaper to purchase

-Cheaper to fuel

-Cheaper to insure

-Less likely to be abused

Obviously I agree with what others have said about not spending lots of money on a vehicle. We really love ours, it's been a great sporty little wagon that can haul a fair amount of stuff, though not as much as the Legacy platform of course.

http://www.cars101.com has some good overviews of the newer models (and archives of older info), and it sounds like you need to do some test drives to see what you like.

Steve

I'm just kinda throwing around ideas right now. I really want a WRX but like you guys said it might be hard to find one in good shape and the insurance would kill me. Getting a brand new subie is very appealing but I really don't want to have a car payment and like one of you said it isn't exactly the best thing to be doing with my money.

These last few years of driving around the 84 have saved me a considerable amount (some of which has been invested). Right now I'm considering getting something with a 2.2. When was the last year the legacy had a 2.2 in it?

2.2's were available in some models (i think LSi wagon or something) until 1999 at least.
In the Legacy you could get 2.2 phase II until 99 but this was in L models only, and the phase II is interference motors, i.e. break a belt smoke the motor. So last year of the phase I was 96.

My bro (the mechanic) and I make it a point to only buy old used, but decent condition cars that we just insure for liability. We save tons on insurance not having to insure vs theft or damage. From that point of view, the car will pay for itself over enough years of driving it. (at least, here in Mass it will)

I think there's a lot of wisdom in buying cars over 3-4 yoears old, if one is not in a hurry and can deal with an overlooked problem or 2. I was in a position to 'spoil' myself with 1/2 the proceeds from an inherited house. Not wise - but affordable since it was cash up front.

I THINK one MIGHT make the argument that finding a WRX wagon(or turbo Forester) that hasn't been 'beat on' by a kid is easier than finding a sedan that hasn't been abused. Not too many kids are gonna say "Daddy, buy me a station wagon"

hah!

Carl

Besides the risk of breaking the timing belt and smoking the engine is there any pros/cons to the phase II 2.2? Say I got a 99 legacy with the 2.2, as long as I make sure the timing belt is changed on time I should be fine?

Besides the risk of breaking the timing belt and smoking the engine is there any pros/cons to the phase II 2.2? Say I got a 99 legacy with the 2.2, as long as I make sure the timing belt is changed on time I should be fine?

Someone here will know the specifics - but, if you plan on extensive mods/upgrades to the engine, i THINK there is some kinda difference in exhaust headers having a shared oulet vs, individual outlets. i guess one style has more aftermarket parts available?

I dunno - just a weird memory I have of reading about that I think.

Carl

Someone here will know the specifics - but, if you plan on extensive mods/upgrades to the engine, i THINK there is some kinda difference in exhaust headers having a shared oulet vs, individual outlets. i guess one style has more aftermarket parts available?

I dunno - just a weird memory I have of reading about that I think.

Carl

96 and on EJ22's have single port exhaust.

as some one pointed out previouysly, an older car will save you cash up front, but you may well have to address a few maintenance / repair items that were neglected.

but the god news is that you have a good running car to drive. so keep the 84, and buy the new one. get the new one running right and then sell the 84. (if you want) insuring 2 cars will cost more , but it won't break you if only for a couple of months. this will give you time to fine tune the new car. do some repairs and give you an idea of how reliable it is.

then, invest at least half of what the car payment would have been. you will thank yourself in the long run.

get yourself a 90-94 Legacy wagon with the 2.2. These are very easy to work on and are virtually bullet proof. Then take the balance of the $$ you were going to spend on a car and invest in and watch it grow. You are only 22 years old and if you start investing now you will be shocked how compounding interest will grow your money.

This is superb advice. I would include the 1995 model year though.